Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving head

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been thinking about giving head to my boyfriend but I'm worried of the stds or stis i could get. I know what you can get, but if your partner doesn't have any stds or stis at all and you don't have anything at all do I have anything to still worry about? We both don't have sexual history with anyone else in our pasts. I read that if our relationship is mutual monogamy then that "greatly reduces" the risk. Does this mean we can create an std/sti ourselves or what? Or do they just mean that if you are unsure about your partners history or whatever...I don't know. :banghead: Why don't they say instead that you wont get anything period if you both don't have any sort of infections?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get anything if we didn't use condoms, because he isn't infected with any disease. I'm just pending on whether I should take a chance with that "greatly reduce" thing and do it anyway. =/

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    you cannot "create" std's.
    if you and your partner are clean - you cannot catch one.
  • Options
    No. If neither of you have STD's it should be safe to give your bf oral, as long as you don't have a coldsore (can pass on herpes virus) and he is telling the truth about his sexual history. If your at all unsure you can buy flavoured condoms.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    If your at all unsure you can buy flavoured condoms.
    :yes: if you are going to play it safer... either use protection like flavoured condoms or don't let him cum in your mouth... also, make sure you don't buy any lubricated condoms for oral sex. :yuck:
  • Options
    Sooo...in other words...if I say did have a coldsore and gave him oral, I'd sort of create herpes? o.o; (Not saying I'd do it if I had just regular sores in my mouth. I'm just curious.)

I searched like crazy for all these things but they never go in depth.

Thanks for all ur help anyway ^^
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    :yes: if you are going to play it safer... either use protection like flavoured condoms or don't let him cum in your mouth... also, make sure you don't buy any lubricated condoms for oral sex. :yuck:
    Lol Ok
  • Options
    Sooo...in other words...if I say did have a coldsore and gave him oral, I'd sort of create herpes? o.o; (Not saying I'd do it if I had just regular sores in my mouth. I'm just curious.)

I searched like crazy for all these things but they never go in depth.

Thanks for all ur help anyway ^^

Coldsores contain the herpes virus (they are essentially facial herpes), so i'm 90% sure that if you have a coldsore and you give oral sex there is a risk of genital herpes. Can anyone back me up on that?
  • Options
    That'd make sense...
    Okay um, one last question then...
    If you're just regulary kissing/making out and you have a sore in your mouth do u pass on or get anything? o__O
  • Options
    That'd make sense...
    Okay um, one last question then...
    If you're just regulary kissing/making out and you have a sore in your mouth do u pass on or get anything? o__O

Coldsores can spread through kissing (a.k.a the kissing disease). Mouth ulcers / general sores are not contagious normally, they're usually down the damaged tissue rather than an infection (as in the case of a coldsore).
  • Options
    Oiiicccc.
    Aiightt...Thanks so much for all the help.
  • Options
    i just posted a pointless message and edited it out :) sorry
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Where do they come from then?
    Now that's a new perspective on things...
  • Options
    You CANNOT catch genital herpes from a coldsore. Coldsores are Herpes Simplex A and Genital warts are Herpes Simplex B. This means that you cannot create Simplex B herpes with Simplex A, i.e.. cold sores cannot create warts.
    There's only 2 STi's you can catch through oral sex (in the back of the throat). They are Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. If neither of you have these, which I very much doubt you have if you have no sexual history, then you WILL NOT get an STi. If you really wana be sure, go get tested.
  • Options
    You CANNOT catch genital herpes from a coldsore. Coldsores are Herpes Simplex A and Genital warts are Herpes Simplex B. This means that you cannot create Simplex B herpes with Simplex A, i.e.. cold sores cannot create warts.
    There's only 2 STi's you can catch through oral sex (in the back of the throat). They are Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. If neither of you have these, which I very much doubt you have if you have no sexual history, then you WILL NOT get an STi. If you really wana be sure, go get tested.
    i was under the impression u could do exactly that......which is why u should never go down on anyone with a coldsore?
  • Options
    www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/coldsores.htm

i really need to learn how to link things. :impissed:
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Where do they come form then?

They can occur from bad hygiene, animal bites etc. etc. and then be passed on.

Also, although the virus' are different, you can have an infection from either one in either area, it's just less likely:
    Canker sores and herpes are both caused by the herpes virus. HSV-1 normally causes oral lesions (canker sores, which are also known as fever blisters), and HSV-2, which causes genital herpes. It is possible to have either type of virus in either location, and to transmit it vial oral sex. If you have a canker sore anywhere in your mouth or throat, it would be possible to transmit that virus by giving your male partner oral sex (blow job).

Also, bear in mind that it's possible to pass an infection onto someone even if you don't have a coldsore if you have had one previously because many virus' can stay present and don't 'flare up' unless your immune system is low. Having said that, the risk is normally quite low, however if you are giving oral sex and do have a cold sore (ouch, is my thought) then best to use condoms or dermal dams etc.
  • Options
    I was told by a Doc at the GUM clinic that under no circumstances can one create the other.
  • Options
    I was told by a Doc at the GUM clinic that under no circumstances can one create the other.

But you can catch simplex A in your genitals or simplex B on your mouth, it's not as common but it's possible. Or at least that's what I've been led to believe. Alway best to play it safe though :)