Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Michael Jackson cleared of abuse

Good.

I think he's a freak, but I don't think he's a pedo.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yep great, and it means he`s innocent because there is such a high level of prosecution in rape and abuse cases :rolleyes: .

Im not surprised that he has been found not guilty because in America they need a Unanimous verdict, so even if all but one thought he was guilty, hed be found not guilty.

Id be as likely to let him look after my son as Jonathan King.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    [
    I think he's a freak, but I don't think he's a pedo.
    Yet you think Greer is?
    You make it up as you go along sometimes.
  • Options
    There was enough doubt and thats all it takes, it doesnt make him innocent, but I dont think I would have said he was guilty.
  • Options
    no, I agree. Its so hard when there isnt any actual physical evidence because of the delay in reporting. Thats why so many abuse cases dont even come to trial, because you just dont know 100% even when most of the evidence is screaming `guilty` at you.
  • Options
    The witnesses weren't exactly of the best charactor where they, the mother has been found out lying under oath to get money before and so has the son.

The more I hear about Jacksons childhood I just think he is wierd, trying to regress and have a childhood now, but not a sex offender.
  • Options
    no, I agree. Its so hard when there isnt any actual physical evidence because of the delay in reporting. Thats why so many abuse cases dont even come to trial, because you just dont know 100% even when most of the evidence is screaming `guilty` at you.

so youd like be happy to see a potentially innocent man go to prison for child sex offences, about as caring as that boys mother who was willing to let her son sleep over there

i dont think hes a paedo but he can do what he wants with his own life, but to take into his home children, well you doubt the mothers responsiblity as well...

and you must remember the DA is looking to get relected so a high profile conviction will make it seem hes doing something

the without a doubt clause stays because otherwise it makes the prosecution sloppy and lazy and uninvestigative
  • Options
    the without a doubt clause stays because otherwise it makes the prosecution sloppy and lazy and uninvestigative

Unless of course you are a 'terrorist' or a suspected drug dealer and then a fair trial is a waste of time anyway.
  • Options
    Yet you think Greer is?
    You make it up as you go along sometimes.

Well Greer said she is, to be fair. You just don't agree that that is what she meant.

And what bongbudda has said is what I think of Jackson. I don't think he ever got past the nine-year-old boy stage, and I don't think there is anything weird about two nine-year-old boys sleeping in the same bed. A normal stable man doesn't call a monkey his best friend and doesn't spend all his money running a personal funfair. He's definitely weird, but I don't think he is a paedophile.

Fair enough the comments about rape trials having such a low turnout, but when the star prosecution witness says that Jackson abused Macaulay Culkin only for Culkin to come to court and say it was crap then there's something that doesn't quite add up.

I'd agree with you about not letting kids near the man though. Which is one of the main reasons why they disputed the entire testimony of the boy's mother.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd agree with you about not letting kids near the man though. Which is one of the main reasons why they disputed the entire testimony of the boy's mother.

That and she has lied under oath before.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    There was enough doubt and thats all it takes, it doesnt make him innocent, but I dont think I would have said he was guilty.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not sure I think MJ's completely innocent, but I don't think I could have found him guilty on the strength of the evidence or the witnesses advanced by the prosecution.
  • Options

yeah, exactly.

a lot of people are saying 'well, he's definitely innocent. there was no evidence at all to the contrary'.

what evidence are they expecting? abuse cases like this are generally word against word. it just so happens that in MJ's case the boy's word is totally unreliable, which has definitely gone in his favour.

i don't think we can say that he definitely did it, but i also don't think we can say he definitely didn't do it.

after all, if you wanted to commit a crime like that, and get away with it, wouldn't it make sense to do it to someone/a family that no one would believe? the family that cried wolf? you know, there's almost nothing that money won't get you in america.
  • Options
    This fucking story was on the front page of my local paper this morning :mad:

It isn't fucking news it's entertainment. Yet every single source of "news media" was running non-stop, front-page stories about it.
    GAH! :banghead:
  • Options
    I'm glad they didn't just assume he was guilty and convict him. I was surprised how many people I spoke to that just said he was guilty and when I asked them did they know any evidence surrounding the case they said no.

I don't know whether he is guilty or not but if they couldn't prove he was then it was right to give the not guilty verdict.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    what evidence are they expecting? abuse cases like this are generally word against word. it just so happens that in MJ's case the boy's word is totally unreliable, which has definitely gone in his favour.

Exactly. Which I find can be very distressing.
    People have just made their mind up here, either standing by the verdict and believe the man is infact innocent as he does not appear to be the kind of man that is mentally fit to sexually abuse a child. At least that's what you'd like to think. But unfortunately you will never know for certain in what happened behind closed doors. Then ya got your guys, who feel, the verdict may have been bought. As it all is a little suspicious how he got off in all charges.

We could sit here and talk about the possibilities, talking about the man like you know him... except the verdict found him innocent.

I personally would like to think he didn't do it. Though I'm not 100% convinced he is defintely innocent in all charges. That's just my thoughts.
  • Options
    I saw an interview earlier with Uri Geller, Jacksons' magic friend, and apparently jackson told him that he doesn't trust people, he lost faith with people, he only trusts children, explains a lot as everyone knows jackson didn't have a childhood, and you can't deny that children have that youthful innocence that i'm sure jackson is so envious of, and thats probably why his house has a fun fair, a zoo, toys everywhere and thats why he took children into his bed, it's sick i know but i just can't see him being a child molester
  • Options
    I have served on a jury in an abuse case in the past, and I can see that they are incredibly difficult cases to prove. If it were a balance of evidence scenerio then a lot more guilty verdicts would pass, but they are not, they are criminal matters that must be settled beyond all reasonable doubt, and it doesn't take a lot to introduce doubt.

With the case I served on, I think it must have been very similar in aspects to this one. Many jurors, myself included, thought that the chap in the dock wasn't 100% kosher, but that doesn't mean that you can pass a guilty verdict. You can't. In Scottish law I think we would have found not proven, but the end result would be the same, chappy walks.

And no bad thing in this case, methinks.
  • Options
    Isn't this a perfect example of how deeply ingrained PCism is in all of us, even many here who have posted their disdain for PC culture in other threads?

Sure we don't feel comfortable with the idea of a full grown guy hanging out with little kids but then none of us have even walked a foot in his shoes let alone a mile.
  • Options
    Well we only ascribe exceptional consideration to those individuals based on handed down presumptions about them long after the fact. If we had lived as contemporaries to them might we have not looked upon them as radicals, social misfits or otherwise "different" and thus to be wary of? If one did not otherwise subscribe to their then countercultural movement but chose to follow mainstream thought as per the dictats of the Pharisees, Rabbis of the Temple or perhaps Roman Imperial norms?