Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are you a Kipper?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    If you want to save up for a house deposit, staying at your parents for a bit is one way of being able to achieve that. Rent prices are so high and you basically just throw your money away. If you get on with your parents and have a big enough house, then why not? I'm quite envious of people who have that option. As long as they're not like 30, a lot of people go back home after uni while they sort themselves out.

I don't really have a great relationship with my parents and there is no space in the house for me anyway, so no, I'm not a "kipper" but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Mind you, having said all that, it would put me off a potential boyfriend somewhat if he still lived at home. There's something about having your own independence.
  • Options
    One of the first things that struck me when I first came to this country was how early children leave the parents' home.

In Spain it is rare for anyone to leave home before they're in their mid-twenties or even early thirties. Even if they have had a full time job for some time.

And no, in the majority of cases it's not to do with religion.
  • Options
    It wouldnt really have crossed my mind to move back home after Uni, I didnt like it before Uni and I would have disliked it even more.
  • Options
    I'll get my own place as soon as I can afford to. Until then I'll rent. I have no objection to living at home but value my independence.

I think if people rely on their mother to do the washing when they are in their twenties then there's no hope. Surely that doesn't form the basis of most people's decision to live at home.

I'd suggest it is firstly convenience and secondly of financial benefit in the short term.
  • Options
    That's how I see it now. Most of my mates back in Spain more or less see their parents' home as a hotel, or even a 'serviced apartment'. Mum will cook, clean, and sometimes even make the bed for you. And in return you just make a modest contribution towards costs. Unreal.

But then, whenever they come home as pissed as a harbour rat, or want to bring a girl back they have trouble. I couldn't put up with that if you asked me...
  • Options
    theres nothing wron gin renting, yes you dont own it, but noone should buy houses to make obscene profits which are unsustainable

home ownership in europe to my knowledge is quite low, yet they livein their houses longer than they do in england strangely enough
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but Redrow should be congratulated for their "Debut" scheme. (http://www.debutbyredrow.co.uk/) I wish more house building companies would take up similar schemes and I also think these sort of schemes should be more widespread. It isn't perfect if you want to start a family but it's a good start nevertheless. I'd personally love a house/flat like the ones their advertising, at least to start off from. I've seen similar spec "designer apartments" go for twice or three times as much.
  • Options
    I still live with my parents because i'm at university, i work 6 hours a week and have a £3 k loan once a year. Realistically i perhaps earn about £3500 p/a. Out of that i have "pocket money" of around £30 per week, the vast majority of my loan goes towards paying for my car, insurance, road tax, MOT, petrol and repairs. So realistically i live on £30, know anywhere i can rent/ pay bills and afford to live off that kind of money?
  • Options
    Even if I won the lottery tomorrow I wouldn't move out. I've always had all the independence I need from my parents and although I lived in halls for a year at uni I hated every minute of the so-called "independent" lifestyle.

Why don't I move out?

I can't afford to. After I've made my car and car insurance payments each month I'm left with about £450 to spend. I use most of this to pay off the debts I stupidly ran up when I was at university.

I don't want to. I like living with other people, and my parents are cool people most of the time. They never tell me what time to be in, pry into my business etc and yes, my mum does do my washing, but she's paid handsomely for it.

If I'm 25 and still living at home then my mum might begin to worry, but hopefully I'll have found a nice chap by then! :)
  • Options
    i moved back home after uni, with other half in tow. it was actually my parent's idea, as they are dead against renting, and as they rightfully pointed out, it would have taken us forever to save up to buy a house if we were renting.

one year on, we're just in the process of buying our first home, so i guess it worked out pretty well for us. there isn't a chance in hell we'd have saved up enough money to buy in a year while paying rent.

moving home wasn't ideal, but it was the best idea in the long term. we all get on well, and have enough space at home. we do our own washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning and shopping. anything that costs my parents extra with us there, we pay. at the same time they get on-site house and dogsitters, and just a bit of company. it's a happy arrangement.