Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sort of animal rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sort of two questions

Should our moral attitude towards animals depend on whether or not they feel pain?

How would you rate the following in terms of the likelihood of their feeling pain?

horse worm virus flea jellyfish

Comments

• Options
    Should our moral attitude towards animals depend on whether or not they feel pain?

No.
    How would you rate the following in terms of the likelihood of their feeling pain?

100% all of em. Even metal feels pain.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Even metal feels pain.

ok THAT one needs an explanation.
  • Options
    ok THAT one needs an explanation.

All feeling is electrical current, all "stuff" is held together by the same. Seperate them and the result is pain.
  • Options
    i suppose that is one way to look at it.

when i think of pain, i think about how i put my hand on the stovetop burner this morning.
  • Options
    when i think of pain, i think about how i put my hand on the stovetop burner this morning.

That's not pain, that's stupidity ;)
  • Options

No.

Given my previous answer, I'm not sure it is relevant.
  • Options
    sort of two questions

Could you be more specific about moral attitude?

I wouldn't feel as bad stepping on a crustation without a central nervous system for instance as i would stepping on a cat. One feels pain, the other doesn't.
  • Options
    That's not pain, that's stupidity ;)
    :)
  • Options
    sort of two questions

Moral attitude towards what?

An animal is an animal isn't it?
  • Options
    Its stupid and it doesnt really make rational sense but everyone knows that our moral attitude to animals is based on the cute scale, anything small and fuzzy with big eyes definately deserves saving many other things dont.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    All feeling is electrical current, all "stuff" is held together by the same. Seperate them and the result is pain.

You need help.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

I do hope you're not being serious :lol:

I dont approve of testing on animals.

but I am for cloning organs and the like to test on :chin:

difference morally being..?

well, if you dont have the whole lot, you wont be causing it any pain, because "it" is a non-feeling lump of flesh.

it'd be like testing stuff on a steak that was grown in a lab, that didnt even have to come from a cow :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    but I am for cloning organs and the like to test on :chin:

difference morally being..?

But wouldnt you need stem cells to clone organs, at which point is it morally any better?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Bizarre idea... What's it based upon? Do you mean Chakras and stuff?
  • Options
    Well I think our moral attitude to animals shouldn't depend on whether they feel pain. I wasn't going to ask about whether we can know that animals (or other people) can actually feel pain (or whether they even exist). I just wanted to know what people based their attitude to animals on, if not on whether they can feel pain (which seemed to be the majority view on the bestiality thread).

I've just recently decided that I don't really care whether animals feel pain if their suffering gives me a reasonable pleasure pay-off. Yea you guessed I've just had foie-gras for the first time. :D Won't be the last.

For the ranking of creatures in likelihood of feeling pain I was perversely intending to argue that none of them feel pain (or ask you to prove otherwise), taking a philosophical turn.
  • Options
    Bizarre idea... What's it based upon? Do you mean Chakras and stuff?

No. Physics.
    I've just recently decided that I don't really care whether animals feel pain if their suffering gives me a reasonable pleasure pay-off. Yea you guessed I've just had foie-gras for the first time. Won't be the last.

I agree with this. If they didn't want to be eaten they should have evolved thumbs and frontal lobes.
    You need help.

Not nearly as much as you do, but thanks.
  • Options
    Yea you guessed I've just had foie-gras for the first time. :D Won't be the last.

I wish I hadnt learnt how that is made, its possibly the nicest thing I have ever eaten.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    No. Physics.

:confused::confused:
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I wish I hadnt learnt how that is made, its possibly the nicest thing I have ever eaten.

Me too! :yum:

Would you eat it again?
  • Options
    Would you eat it again?

Yes, though I'd feel a bit guilty about it. I've only had it once I should point out.
  • Options
    Savage! ;)
  • Options
    Causing an animal unnecessary pain is unethical. Obviously this therefore does depend on whether an animal feels pain.

It isn't unethical to kill something to eat or wear, thought it is unethical to treat it unnaturally or cruelly to make it taste "better". I believe that kosher and halal treatments are grossly unethical, for instance, as is cruelty in factory slaughterhouses.
  • Options
    Halal slaughter actually originated as a means of causing less suffering to the animal.
  • Options
    how? :confused:

I dont care what it intended, its completely foul and should be banned.
  • Options

heres a hint: only organisms with a nervous system can feel pain. :yes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Halal slaughter actually originated as a means of causing less suffering to the animal.
    I wouldn't wish to comment further as I don't know or understand the technique of halal or kosher slaughter, but the idea of hanging an animal upside down and bleeding it dry doesn't sound comfortable. I would imagine that technique, done correctly, may make it less painful, but it still doesn't sound nice.

Not that there is a nice way to kill, and I certainly wouldn't say halal was any worse than the practises used in modern slaughterhouses.
  • Options
    Most religous ritual developed for practical reasons.
    There is a Halaal method of slaughtering animals, by cutting through the large arteries in the neck to allow blood to leave more quickly, and preceded by the words "In the name of God, who is great." Killing the animal in this way is considered by Muslims to be both cleaner and more merciful to the animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

I'd think though that these days they are carried on for reasons of cultural identity. As you say, its not really any worse than slaughterhouses.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I wouldn't wish to comment further as I don't know or understand the technique of halal or kosher slaughter, but the idea of hanging an animal upside down and bleeding it dry doesn't sound comfortable. I would imagine that technique, done correctly, may make it less painful, but it still doesn't sound nice.

Not that there is a nice way to kill, and I certainly wouldn't say halal was any worse than the practises used in modern slaughterhouses.

it isnt about what sound comfortable to you, its an efficient quick way

anyway IMO i cant give a rats arse about how it was killed cause its never gona be nice unless theyre drugged up with opiates
  • Options
    I have a strong dislike for the action of killing animals for trophies or for a laugh, but as for food... It's only what's been done for years.

However, I think if somebody wouldn't be able to kill an animal themselves to eat it, they're a hippocrite if they eat meat.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I have a strong dislike for the action of killing animals for trophies or for a laugh, but as for food... It's only what's been done for years.

Pest control and medical research is a necessity aswell.
    Weekender Offender