Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

girls - when do you find it easiest to remember to take the pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sorry if it's been done before, have tried a few searches.

i'm going on the pill, am just waiting for my next period and i was just unsure when i should take it. i.e. in the morning or before bed or something. i can be quite forgetful (though i doubt i will be with this as it's kind of different to taking a hayfever tablet!) and am not sure when would be best as i know you need to take it at roughly around the same time.

i don't always wake up at the same time or might be at work in the morning. but then at night time i might be out so it wouldn't really be easy.

if anyone could offer any advice or experience then i'd be appreciative. thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    I don't take it any more, but when I did I took it first thing in the morning- I kept the packet on my bed side table so it was literally the first thing I would see in the morning- I didn't always get up at the same time either, but you don't have to be 100% accurate, there is a window that allows you to be a bit early or a bit late.
  • Options
    i take mine in a morning, keep them in the bathroom with ma toothbrush, then i never forget. Dont worry about getting up at different times, you have a 12 hour window in which to take it anyway and it'll still work fine.
  • Options
    I always take mine before i got into bed/got back from work so around 9 O'clock, and i would have my pills on my computer desk so that when i turned my computer off i would remeber to take my pills. When i went out etc i used to take them with me and put them in my wallet and then take accordingly.
    But now if i'm going out i don't bother and just take my pill when i get back home, because with the pill i'm on (Microgynon) your allowed a 12 hour 'limit' untill it's considered taken late.

The only time i have forgot to take one out fo the two years that i've been on it , was when i was in bed really ill, so not too bad going.
  • Options
    in the morning, when I get up, brush my teeth and put my lenses in. It just became part of my morning routine so I never forgot.
    I think if you take it when you get up, then if you forget one day, youre awake to remember it preferably within the 12hr limit, whereas if you take it before bed and forget, youve got less awake time to remember ikswim.
  • Options
    put it next to your vitimin tablets/supplements if you take them everyday, that'll probably get you into the habit of remembering to take it :)
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    put it next to your vitimin tablets/supplements if you take them everyday, that'll probably get you into the habit of remembering to take it :)

That's what I do, I now have a little box with segments in for every day of the week, and I put all my vitamins and other medication in. I keep it in the kitchen next to the coffee as I HAVE to have a coffee first thing!
  • Options
    thanks everyone.

sorry to tell you but i've come on my period now, and it says to take it when you come on your period but if i take it now, that means i should take it around this time every day. but i don't want to. can i wait till the morning? :confused:
  • Options
    doesnt it depend on the brand of the pill how long the window is? if you have a twelve hour window it doesnt matter if you sleep in but id check your leaflet just to be certain you do have a twelve hour window. i vaguely remember one of the pills i was on you only had three hours.

i had to set an alarm for mine - the only way i could remember, i had a friend who used to take it when she heard the last orders bell in the pub.
  • Options
    I used to take my pill in the morning, but I 'm really rubbish at getting up at weekends, and since I seem to be quite sensitive to taking my pill at the same time every day (I get spotting quite easily), I decided to take it at about 5pm every day instead. I generally find that quite easy to remember, because I'm normally home by then. I used text reminders for a while, but now it's just a habit, and I rarely end up taking it late.
  • Options
    I take mine before I go to bed. Much easier for me to remember then.
  • Options
    I take mine in the morning, i put it on my table with my phone next to it. Set my phone to wake me up and as i go to switch it off i see my pill and HAVE to take it! It's impossible to forget- ive been on it about 6 months now and havent forgot once! My friend takes hers at night time and has forgotten it about a million times- so suprised she aint pregnant yet thinking about it!!! lol
  • Options
    I take mine with my tea... I leave the packet near where I eat too so when I see it I remember. :)
  • Options
    I keep my pill in my makeup case, that way when i wake up in the morning and put my makeup on i see my pills and remember to take them. Also as i never leave without my makeup i never leave a pack at home if i stay over my fellas house.
  • Options
    why is this worrying me so much?! i guess it's best to worry really.

i think i did decide to take it at around 9pm, 'cause if i am going out we don't normally go out till after then anyway.

so if i start taking it at that time, do i have to keep taking it around that time (ignoring the 12 hour window i might have - i'd rather take it around the same time) or can i change to the morning if i feel that it's not working?
  • Options
    if you dont get on with taking it that time you can manipulate your 12 hour window so that it is at a time thats better for you. eg take at 8am,the day after so that you are still well within 12hours but then continue taking it at 8am or after a little while move it to 10am. until you find a time that works for you.

depending on your reason for taking the pill, it may be best to use condoms too until you are 100% happy with the time you take the pill. im not sure whether the manipulation would interfere with the contraception, i wouldnt have thought that it would if you are staying within the 12hour window but better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    I've been on the pill for 3 years and take them every morning when I get up - I always remember to take a drink to bed with me at night, ready for my pills in the morning. They're always on my bedside table so I see them when I put my glasses on first lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Mine was part of my normal morning routine.
  • Options
    I always take it as soon as I wake up, plus I figure if I ever do forget it I have the 12hr window so no doubt I'll remember at some point during the day. It's by my computer monitor so I'll always notice it at some point.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I take mine first thing in the morning. I normally have it where I put my hair brush etc so that it is part of my routine and that way I cannot forget to take it.

If you take it tomorrow, for example, and not on the start of your period then you will probably not be protected for the first seven days. However, if you are unsure then you should read your pill packet or speak to a pharmacist or NHS Direct :)
  • Options
    I try to take mine every morning. But it's just usually when I remember.

Don't follow my example. ;)
  • Options
    I take mine at 8.30 in the evening. But have an alarm set on my phone cos I'd never remember otherwise.

Used to take it in the morning, but I found with getting up at different times each day being a student it meant that I was constantly taking it at different times everyday, which although should be fine, I felt it better to take it at a time I could be more regular at.
  • Options
    I take mine about 8pm-it is when I remember it as I am more likely to be chilled and remember than if I am running late or anything. Also, my crazy sleep patterns mean I'm up different times in the morning, but always at around 8pm at night.
  • Options

If you take it tomorrow, for example, and not on the start of your period then you will probably not be protected for the first seven days. However, if you are unsure then you should read your pill packet or speak to a pharmacist or NHS Direct :)

thankyou. i decided to take it at 9pm every day and have set an alarm to go on my phone every day.

thanks for all the replies!
  • Options
    I take mine at night around 10pm but mine has a 12 hour window. When I first started taking it I set a reminder on my phone to take it and after a while I just started remembering without the aid of the phone.
  • Options
    6pm cos its a time i always seem to notice.. like the simpsons being on, dinner time, etc.. i wouldn't take it in the morning myself as though i have a 12-hour window, i wouldn't feel safe always taking it late at the weekends.
  • Options
    may not be much use to you now, but i used to take mine at 10pm then realised with going out and getting drunk by that time it wasnt really working, so i waited for my week break and started again taking it at 2.30pm so id be awake after the night before and diffenetly not drunk (so id remember) also having an alarm on your phone is very helpful.
  • Options
    8am, have an alarm, if im going to college then im up and about at that time and if im on study leave ie now then it reminds me to stop being a lazy bum and wake up and do some work!
  • Options
    I leave my packet in the kitchen and remember to take it when I have my orange juice in the morning. And I try to rememebr to take it with me if I know i'm going to be staying the night at my friends or my brothers.