Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being Overdrawn, etc.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The insurance company, being their usual incompetant selves, decided to withdraw their direct debit from my account on the 18th of this month even though the contracted day is the 28th and despite the fact I rang them up (on the 18th :chin: ) and asked them to move that date to the 1st of every month.

I've never been overdrawn before, I'm with NatWest and if I've been withdrawn from the 18th up until tomorrow (27th - so 9 days) to the value of £140, what fees am I likely to incur? And if I moan at them, what likelihood of the insurance company paying them? :razz:

Comments

• Options
    Do you have an agreed overdraft? Cause most banks don't charge you if have, or only a teeny amount like something stupid 1p a day.

If not some places are absolute fuckers and you could be looking at quite a bit. Have you checked out the banks website to see if they say anything on there? But i'm a good girl and i've never been overdrawn, i don't even have an overdraft, cause it all just scares me :p
  • Options
    http://www.natwest.com/personal/services/currentaccounts/index.asp?navid=PERSONAL/ACCOUNTS_SERVICES/CURRENT_ACCOUNTS&pid=rates

if you scroll down to the table abour un-arranged borrowing it tells you there, depending on what your account is etc.
  • Options
    If the insurance company has made a mistake and taken your DD early, call them let them know that you are likely to be charged by your bank and ask them if they will refund the charges if you can provide them written confirmation of the charges.
  • Options
    Don't ask them, tell them. You're supposed to have advance warning of when they will request the money, that's in the guarantee.
  • Options
    I rang them and put forward my argument and that. Apparently when I rang them the first time round, instead of changing the 28th May payment to the 1st June, they charged me for the 1st May (just a couple weeks late) and I will be charged again for the 1st June, all unaware. If they'd informed this was gonna happen I wouldn't have said anything.

I'm skint now. Absolute cunts. :o
  • Options
  • Options
    Because you have not been overdrawn before then if you pop in and see your bank some times they remove the charges. They done it with my sis.

I love having a free £500 overdraft do much :(
  • Options
    Go to your bank and tell them that you are disputing the DD payment that has gone out and you want it refunded immediately. It's the bank's responsibility to sort out the mess, not yours. As said above, it's part of the Direct Debit guarantee.
    I agree.

They can cancel any overdraft charges there and then. I had a similar problem a few years ago and HSBC were very good about. It depends whether you've been a reliable customer in the past though.
  • Options
    as soon as i pay off my hsbc loan and haver no more connections with them

im cancelling my account, ive been screwed for about £200 bank charges and the sorts, would have been more, at least ive got some deducted to stop me from screaming at their staff
  • Options
  • Options
    They've always been excellent for me.

I have heard bad things about Nat West and Barclays so I'm staying put.