Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

talk to yourself ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this is a bit of a wierd question which has been playing on my mind a bit, but...
is it "normal" to talk to yourself if you feel really on your own ???
and also, is it "normal" to have an invisible friend sort of thing, and talk to that if you need to talk to 'someone' ???

Comments

• Options
    Depends what kinda stuff you are saying and how often you say it.

Like, simple stuff like "God, I look shit today" or "I have so much to do" etc. is kinda "normal" I suppose.
  • Options
    I'm sure lots of people do it, although worrying about if it's normal or not is probably not a good thing to do :)

to be perfectly honest, people will probably think you're nutty if you do it when you're not alone though :)
  • Options
    I suppose it is just a way of 'talking' through your problems when no-one else is there. It is a chance to get things off your chest!
  • Options
    I speak to myself occasionally, usually just to break silence. When i write in my journal i speak aloud when doing so, donno why. When i was little i had a friend in the fireplace called sweep (inventive i know!) haven't seen him for many years now tho. My explanation of this is that i was an only child and was left on my own a lot.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I talk to myself all the time. I think if you are on your own and feel lonely then there is no harm in talking to yourself to be honest.
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    I suppose it is just a way of 'talking' through your problems when no-one else is there. It is a chance to get things off your chest!
    :yes: it is. but sometimes i end up having conversations (about stuff i need to talk about) with 'nothing.' - it scares me sometimes, becasue it is such a shameful thing to do i guess; but sometimes i feel a bit better for it... then again sometimes i don't. i only ever do it when i'm on my own though - i'd never do it infront of anyone. i guess its good to know i'm not on my own then... thats a relief! :)
  • Options
    Honestly I think it is quite normal to talk to yourself, saying stuff like 'oh my god my hair looks like shit' or 'pull yourself together woman'... that kinda thing.

I don't think it is 'normal' to have an imaginery friend though, unless you're 6 years old.

When I want to feel like I'm talking to someone I talk to my cat, even when she isn't in the room.
  • Options
    about all i manage is come on john sort yourself out for fucks sake or something similar.

i dont suppose theres anything wrong with talking your problems out with yourself, i do it all day long, just not out loud.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    this is a bit of a wierd question which has been playing on my mind a bit, but...
    is it "normal" to talk to yourself if you feel really on your own ???
    and also, is it "normal" to have an invisible friend sort of thing, and talk to that if you need to talk to 'someone' ???

I talk to myself all the time, but i draw the line on an invisible friend!
  • Options
    I talk to myself all the time and tend to have both sides of the convo...I get more sense that way and hear the answers I want to. ALthough I do it more when I've been on my own for a while.

As to an invisible friend....nop I've njever had one of them
  • Options
    so its not normal then? :( :nervous:
  • Options
    If your 6 yes...
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    so its not normal then? :( :nervous:

I don't think it is, no. I'd say having an invisible friend at your age would be indicative of something more serious.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I don't think it is, no. I'd say having an invisible friend at your age would be indicative of something more serious.

can i just make it clear, its not that i go around talking to myself or like i talk to 'nothing' all the time. its just like occassionaly i need to talk; and then i talk about things that i could never tell another person anyway... just as a way of kind of getting the words out of me. and its kind of more comforting to imagine somebody is really there.
    so there is something wrong with me, because i do that sometimes? :(
  • Options
    Have you tried writing a diary, when i have something i want to say, but no one to say it to, i write it down.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    can i just make it clear, its not that i go around talking to myself or like i talk to 'nothing' all the time. its just like occassionaly i need to talk; and then i talk about things that i could never tell another person anyway... just as a way of kind of getting the words out of me. and its kind of more comforting to imagine somebody is really there.
    so there is something wrong with me, because i do that sometimes? :(

That isn't the same as having an imaginey or invisible friend then.
  • Options
    personally i dont think theres nothing wrong to talk to yourself if you need to externalise what it is thats in your head. but personally i suggest it would be better if you write it down on paper instead of just spraying it on air plus you can read what you wrote and analyse it better. personally it would be better if you say what you want to say to another person cos personally i think what other people say may enlighten you or not. but personally i think its better to hear an opinion other than your own.
  • Options
    Sometimes when I fight with my boyfriend and it's one of those "i could rip his eyeballs out" sort of fights, I continue on the fight by myself when Im alone. The weird thing is sometimes I reach a conclusion this way, by trying to see it from his side and acting it out. So, yea it's fairly normal...I've caught my little brother talking to himself alot, but it's not like he speaks in tongues or anything so I'm not worried.
  • Options
    Loner wrote:
    personally i dont think theres nothing wrong to talk to yourself if you need to externalise what it is thats in your head. but personally i suggest it would be better if you write it down on paper instead of just spraying it on air plus you can read what you wrote and analyse it better. personally it would be better if you say what you want to say to another person cos personally i think what other people say may enlighten you or not. but personally i think its better to hear an opinion other than your own.

Is that your personal opinion? sorry couldn't resist! :angel:
  • Options
    ......... i've been thinking this through seriously some more and may be its just my way of coping, with stuff. and i guess if it helps me to cope then, however i look at it, it cannot really be a bad thing. (even if it is unusual?!). thanks 'ya all for the replies :)
  • Options
    whats the difference between talking to yourself and thinking to yourself...you always have opinions in your head...you just don't usually say them out loud...i do it sometimes though i don't have full blown conversations or nothing...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    whats the difference between talking to yourself and thinking to yourself...
    true.
    its just about verbalising it.