Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CV Question

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in the middle of writing my CV and someone mentioned something about a personal statement. What exactly is this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is one brief paragraph explaining what interests and hobbies you have, and what you've learned from them, together with details of the skills and abilities you have gained during your academic and working life that don't fit into the synposes of your last jobs and studies.
  • Options
    In my experience a personal statement can accompany a CV.

A CV is more of a breif over-view including vital info such as exam grades, qualficaitions, details of work experience, DOB, address etc etc

A personal statement is usually a separate page written about you; including more descritoion about events on your CV and generally 'selling' yourself. So you might write "During my two-week work experience I gainned skills working with customers, learning to communcate eeffectively and keep calm in potentially difficult situations; these are skills I have since developed in my role as a shop assistant" etc etc. The person reading your CV wouldn't necessarily assume that just from reading that you did a two-week placement in a shop.

I would work along the lines that your CV and Personal statement should be separate articels- anyone could pick up either and get an overview of your experiences; picking them up together shouldn't be boring- but picking them up separately shouldn't make them impossible to understand.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    This is probably teaching you how to suck eggs, but here is some general advise on what my Uni told me to include on my CV:

Keep your CV simple.
    * Your CV must be concise.
    * Your CV must be easy to read.
    * Your CV Should be presented professionally, clearly, and in a way that indicates you are an ideal candidate for the job, i.e. you possess the right skills, experience, attitude, that the employer is seeking. The way you present your CV effectively demonstrates your ability to communicate.

* A well presented CV also indicates that you are professional, business-like and better organised.

* Your CV should be no more than 2 sides of A4 paper. Any more and it is likely to be binned staight away.

* Use as few words as possible - "less is more". Think carefully about the words you use to ensure that you convey everything that you want to say concisely as possible.

* It is best practice to include a covering letter on your CV - looks like you have really put some thought into apply for the job.

* CV cover letters must be very professional and perfectly presented. Use high quality paper, and ensure that the name and address details and date are correct you have a named recipient of the CV. Taylor each CV for the job you are applying for.

* Keep CV cover letters brief and concise.

* Ensure you lay the letter out neatly, again on good quality paper, with your own address top right or centre-top. Avoid fancy fonts and upper case (capital letters).

I know it's not directly relevant to your question, but thought it might be worth while for others to read.

Jon
  • Options
    Thanks Jon. I was doing a Google search for this last week adn on a CV site, they said exactly what you just said in your post.
  • Options
    A personal statement is exactly what it says - just a brief description of yourself at the top of your CV, eg:

Motivated, organised manager with qualifications to MSc level, with the ability to work as an individual or as part of a team.

If you need any more help, please mail me

Kev :yes:
  • Options
    its basically your opportunity to tell an employer a little bit about yourself... summing up everything from your key skills to your interests. it allows you to go into a little more depth about yourself and sell yourself. its also the part of the CV where you can mention anyting else you feel is relevant to your application which does not fit in the rest of the CV itself or the covering letter. hope that helps a bit. :)