Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Conguntivitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well i woke up this morning feeling like id been crying in my sleep, because my eyes felt all puffed up, but then i realised they were gunked up aswell - i had to rub them before i could open them properly. And when i looked in the mirror i realised i'd got this yellowy pus round them (though i'd probably rubbed most of it off) and they looked slightly bloodshot. I'm guessing its conguntivitis and i've also had a cold for about 2 weeks. I've got some modular science exams on tuesday and im worried its going to get worse before then but our doctors are shut on a weekend. Do any of you know any home remedies to help it?
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    doctors are 24/7 if you need them.
    sorry i don't know any herbal remedies, not sure if cucumber might be helpful - as it might help sooth your eyes??? or saline???
  • Options
    You could maybe pop into a chemist and ask them for advice? When I've had eye infections they've always been pretty good at telling whether you need to see a doctor or not, and they could probably give you something to calm things down a bit even if you do need to see a doctor.
  • Options
    Go to your local pharmacy for advice.

Otherwise contact NHS Direct for details of your out of hours GP services.
  • Options
    I told my parents and showed them my eyes but theyre not really bothered. They said to wait till monday when our doctors open, but my exams on tuesday. They wouldnt take me to the pharmacy or chemist because theyre ''too busy'' - so i dunno what to do. :(
  • Options
    Well, if you really can't get it checked out.....I used to use cotton wool (make sure it's totally clean), and wet it in a bowl of warm water (boil the water and then let it cool a bit), and use that to gently clean the eye area, and sooth it a bit. It won't get rid of the infection, but it might make it a bit more comfortable for you, and it's really good to make them less crusty (sorry, couldn't think of a less disgusting word!) in the morning.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, forgot to add, make sure you don't use the same cotton wool ball on both eyes, otherwise you'll be transmitting infection between the two eyes.
  • Options
    Tates wrote:
    Oh yeah, forgot to add, make sure you don't use the same cotton wool ball on both eyes, otherwise you'll be transmitting infection between the two eyes.

yeah ive already been told that lol
  • Options
    well, had to go to the emergency doctors today because it got worse, i literally had to prize my eyes open this morning when i woke up, the doctor said it was severe conjuntivitis and ive been prescribed these drops......theyre a pain to use but they help the weeping and the soreness - does anyone know how long it takes to go away with treatment?