Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

feeling sick and dieting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the last couple of weeks ive been dieting. nothing extreme. normally missing breakfast or just having a bowl of cereal (no sugar) and missing lunch. or if i missed breakfast having a sandwich for lunch. and then having a proper dinner.

but since last nite i have felt really sick and my tummy has been rumbleing (sp?) for food. i do feel hungry but i feel like if i eat i'll be sick.

earlier i ate chocolate and a doughnut and i felt much better after. i didnt feel sick at all. then i had my dinner and i felt fine.

i had dinner at 4:30 but by 8 i felt sick again. so i had another bar of chocolate and i felt fine again. but now its just gone half 10 and im feeling hungry and sick again.

do you think im lacking sugar or something? i havent had much while i was dieting. and now when i eat something high in sugar and fat i feel much better

any ideas what might be wrong?

Comments

• Options
    probably is lack of sugar... and you know the one way of solving that problem don't you?! :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    probably is lack of sugar... and you know the one way of solving that problem don't you?! :p

eat lots of sugar?
  • Options
    no... eat a bit of sugar.
    eat regulary and you won't feel so sick... but if you want to diet keep a check on the amount of calories you are consuming.
    i feel like that sometimes if i don't eat anything... and tbh if your not having sugar, you'll start getting headaches... because your brain runs on glucose... and cramps becasue your muscles need it too... etc etc etc.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    no... eat a bit of sugar.
    eat regulary and you won't feel so sick... but if you want to diet keep a check on the amount of calories you are consuming.
    i feel like that sometimes if i don't eat anything... and tbh if your not having sugar, you'll start getting headaches... because your brain runs on glucose... and cramps becasue your muscles need it too... etc etc etc.

ive had the headaches. i just hate feeling sick!

my mum said to eat little and often too. so i think i'll give that a try 2moro and see how i feel!
  • Options
    ive had the headaches. i just hate feeling sick!

my mum said to eat little and often too. so i think i'll give that a try 2moro and see how i feel!

Your mum gives good advice, if you eat little and often, ie 3 hours, the latest diet trend seems to rely on the "fact" (how true it is I dont know) that if you eat regularly, your body wont try so hard to store energy, where as if you wait till you're really hungry to eat, your body will suck up and store as much energy as it can :yes:

oh, and skipping breakfast is silly, eat breakfast, you will not be lacking sugar from not putting it on your cereal :) just eat something healty, not sugar loaded, and you'll feel alot better for the day.
  • Options
    iso i think i'll give that a try 2moro and see how i feel!
    best way :)
  • Options
    thanx for your replies :)

i think i'll start it now with some toast hehe
  • Options
    also if you eat breakfast it will get your metabolism working faster earlier in the day and ensure you've got energy to do whatever you want to do... it will also help you to feel fuller for longer, since when most people eat breakfast, say within an hour of getting up - they arn't necessarily too hungry. and if you leave eating until you are feeling very hungry - you'll end up eating more than your body needs and taking in more calories than you need to... other than that you'll take in too few becasue you are on a diet and you'll feel pretty shit for the rest of the day with nausea, headaches, cramps, etc.
    - just some food for thought, literally! :)
  • Options
    skipping breakfast is one of the worst things you can do, and skipping other meals isnt much better, it buggers your metabolic rate up. best way to lose weight is to stick to a healthy balanced diet and include more exercise in your lifestyle.
  • Options
    Porridge for breakfast with a bit of sugar would be good and it'll keep you going till lunch.
  • Options
    what about those bags of chocolate chips, nuts and rasins? Good snack to have when hugry?
  • Options
    what about those bags of chocolate chips, nuts and rasins? Good snack to have when hungry?
  • Options
    what about those bags of chocolate chips, nuts and rasins? Good snack to have when hungry?
  • Options
    depends on your point of view - i personally wouldn't. choc chips are never going to be good for you.
  • Options
    You shouldn't miss any meals, especially breakie because adults who eat breakfast have had an easier time losing weight.

Eat your breakfast, cereal or something. Maybe a fruity Special K? And then for lunch have something that's filling or will at least suppress your hunger for a while. Maybe a Weight Watchers sandwich and an apple, then if you you get hungry eat something low in fat like a breakfast cereal bar but make sure it's low in fat, doesn't matter how many calories it has in it, just keep the fat content low as possible.

Make sure you eat the three meals a day, it's important for you body to work right.
  • Options
    depends on your point of view - i personally wouldn't. choc chips are never going to be good for you.

better than doughnuts and chocolate though surely?

and i love those bags of raisins, nuts and chocolate chips! never seem to see them anywhere anymore though. :no:

and chelle, don't miss out on breakfast! won't do you any good. most important meal of the day. :yes:
  • Options
    better than doughnuts and chocolate though surely?

and i love those bags of raisins, nuts and chocolate chips! never seem to see them anywhere anymore though. :no:

and chelle, don't miss out on breakfast! won't do you any good. most important meal of the day. :yes:

well of course,its really only the choc chips i was talking about, but nuts can be a big question mark for dieters depending on what you follow and which type of nuts- plus i hate them which would just leave me with the raisins and choc chips!!

You can still get them in the big supermarkets though. :D
  • Options
    yeah just eat regularly and you should be ok :)
    im currently doing weightwatchers and the regular routine for me is - no breakfast, sometimes some cereal/fruit/cereal bars for my lunch and then a normal dinner. and if ive been extra good during the day then i have a treat like some chocolate/ice cream in the evening!

sometimes i feel a bit sick and my tummy wont stop rumbling so whenever that happens i just have a little something to stop it like an apple or whatever :p just eat healthily and regularly and youll be fine
  • Options
    Diamond Geezer's advice is so good he gave it thrice. :eek:

Not sure about this "lack of sugar". You don't need to eat regularly unless you're diabetic or something. But regular meals are advisable if you are aiming to lose weight.

Of course regular exercise would be better than missing meals. Especially breakfast. You'd be better eating breakfast and lunch and having a smaller meal in the evening.
  • Options
    I lost 3 stone last year by following a sensible 'diet'. I was actually eating a lot more than before.

You need breakfast, since it will boost your metabolism for the rest of the day. As someone said earlier porridge is a good idea, since it is filling and only releases sugar into the blood slowly. It will make you feel full for longer and stop any cravings until lunchtime.

Just try and have a balanced diet, drink lots of water, exercise lots and do not get hung up on a slips you have.

'Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper'
  • Options
    because you are missing meals, the feeling you are getting is caused by the acid in your stomach having nothing to digest- it's called dyspepsia, if you continue to do this the stomach acid could start to erode the lineing of your gut, which in some people might cause gastric ulcers.

....the best way to lose weight is to eat regularly, otherwise your metabolism will be unstable- eat slow release energy foods (such as brown rice, non-wheat pasta, lentils, various types of beans, porridge and wholemeal bread), cut out white carbohydrates as they contain refined sugars, and have a high glycaemic index, which means that you will be hungry soon after eating them.

cut out dairy too if you can- it's actually quite bad for the human body (but remember to take calcium supplements).
  • Options
    the woman on the news today said white pasta still had a low GI index. so confused.
  • Options
    well of course,its really only the choc chips i was talking about, but nuts can be a big question mark for dieters depending on what you follow and which type of nuts- plus i hate them which would just leave me with the raisins and choc chips!!

You can still get them in the big supermarkets though. :D

i haven't seen them in tesco in ages. :(
  • Options
    the woman on the news today said white pasta still had a low GI index. so confused.

...but it still contains refined sugars, which are really bad for you, wholemeal, or wheat free pasta is better cos the GI is lower and the wheat -free stuff makes you less bloated.

...it is very confusing tho, I do agree! :confused:
  • Options
    you need to bring back the breakfast and lunch, just eat the right things.

then have a smaller portion of an evening meal
  • Options
    dont skip meals if you're trying to lose weight. your body goes into starvation mode and tries to conserve energy, making it much harder to lose weight. eat small meals at regular times, and if your body says its hungry (by stomach rumbling) then listen to it and eat! just eat sensibly and fill yourself up on bread and pasta which release energy over longer periods of time, as oppsosed to sugary foods which leave you more hungry after the energy wears off. a bowl of low fat, high fibre cereal is a better snack than a bag of crisps or chocolate bar
  • Options
    Sugar addiction

You said you felt much better after sweet things. That is probably because you are addicted to sugar, and when you stopped eating so much, then you got bad withdrawal symptoms. I get them too. It would probably be best if you stuck to no sugar, living through the sickness and everything and lost the addiction. Much healthier! :yippe:
  • Options
    Grapes are a good thing to eat when dieting, as it's abit like having a bag of sweets!
  • Options
    The Low GI diet is the latest craze but the difference between this and other fad diets, is this one is getting fab reviews by doctors.
    its aim is to eat sugers with a low glycaemic index which helps to stabilise blood sugar so you dont get cravings.