Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

making the first move

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay..it's not like I have any major problems pulling (just mean kissing by that) and stuff. well yeah i kinda do, it just doesn't happen that often (5 times in the last year) and generally at gigs and stuff. usually, then its easy to start conversation cos you can just talk about the band and stuff.

but what am i supposed to say when i'm just out in a bar or something? and i just see a girl i like and i want to approach her. it's always like i should have a reason or something but i can never think what to say. i think having some good ways to just start conversation would really help. cos generally after that it's not too hard...really...

Comments

• Options
    "Hey, Can I buy you a drink?" would be a good place to start I guess. Then just be like "so where about are you from?" blah blah blah.

Grace x
  • Options
    just approach the girl and say hi. tell her you noticed her and would like to talk to her. take a sit and ask her questions about herself. as much as you can dont tell too much about yourself because youll just probably say something thatll turn her off. she talks you listen. what i mean is you, REALLY listen. like your life depended on it. build the conversation on what she says. but most imporantly before you approach a girl is....... make sure she is interested in you. otherwise she may just turn her head. then youll hear the sound of your ego collapse unto itself.
  • Options
    just approach the girl and say hi. tell her you noticed her and would like to talk to her. take a sit and ask her questions about herself. as much as you can dont tell too much about yourself because youll just probably say something thatll turn her off. she talks you listen. what i mean is you, REALLY listen. like your life depended on it. build the conversation on what she says. but most imporantly before you approach a girl is....... make sure she is interested in you. otherwise she may just turn her head. then youll hear the sound of your ego collapse unto itself.

k doesn't sound too hard. how are you meant to be sure that a gir is interested? if she holds eye contact..?
  • Options
    Just be upfront - works better!
    just walk over and say, hi! you're really beutifull, my name's <whatever your name is> then offer your hand, if she just ignores you or says something nasty then just walk away saying loudly to your mates 'yeah youre right she is a dog' but if she shakes it and giggles a little then ask if you can sit down and start asking her a bit about herself, keep smiling as well.
  • Options
    I gave my wife a kiss on new years as the first move to show I loved her.
  • Options
    I would just suggest acting Cocky and Funny and uninterested. That is if you go to a bar, you be sarcastic and tease her make fun of what shes wearing (guys dont do that) but don't do it in a dehumanizing way, this will get her to laugh and feel a certain attraction to you. And another way is by being direct so if she says "Your Funny!" -- dont say Really? I think your cute ! -- instead say " I know." And then just get up and talk to some other chicks to let her know you have other stuff to do and dont have time for "dating games," if you played Cocky and Funny well, then she will have a certain attraction for you thats is starting to build up. So you can always come back and check on her and chances are shell be a little more clingy this time and more hesitant of you just wondering around the bar. So like another thing would be like if you get a chance to know her u can call her and say like " I told my mom about you " Her: "Really?" You: " Hell no arent you concided"
  • Options
    :chin: ... just don't come out with a cheesy chat up line. - :yuck:
  • Options
    k doesn't sound too hard. how are you meant to be sure that a gir is interested? if she holds eye contact..?
    if you caught her looking at you twice then it means shes noticed you. what you do next is smile. if she smiles the third time around then it means shes responding to what you do. then approach her as shes looking at you (keep the smile on your face).
    now about the smile. make it a geniune one. not like youre some psycho or anything. a natural smile.
    but depending on how good or attractive you are. if youo get turneed down, dont get bogged down if you dont reap any fruit from the girl. its part of the game. nothing is perfect. and the more you realise that you wont always get the girl. the better youll cope when the outcome aint any good.
  • Options
    and show her you're sumbitting like a slave to her.

women have their own language, and it's ruled by emotions.

Another thing, don't be boring, if she asks you where you work, don't say "I work in a bank" say something like "I work 2 days a year in some banks"(like saying you rob them)

god you made me laugh, how is buying someone a drink offering to be their slave?

i think that lying about your job is also a bad idea, so say you really hit it of and 2 months down the line you have to say guess what i've lied to you for 2 months.

oh and pretending to be a bank robber probably wont get you far with most people
  • Options
    He's not lying about the job, it's a joke i think? I would be unimpressed with the cocky act, although it works on some women, and see through it. I'd just think they were a player and not just confident but arrogant. I like genuine people who hold a bit back, so you want to find out more.
  • Options
    Serious question here.

Another thing, don't be boring, if she asks you where you work, don't say "I work in a bank"

Working in a bank is not always boring, have you worked in one before - no - therefore how would you know :chin:
  • Options
    if you caught her looking at you twice then it means shes noticed you. what you do next is smile. if she smiles the third time around then it means shes responding to what you do. then approach her as shes looking at you (keep the smile on your face).
    now about the smile. make it a geniune one. not like youre some psycho or anything. a natural smile.
    but depending on how good or attractive you are. if youo get turneed down, dont get bogged down if you dont reap any fruit from the girl. its part of the game. nothing is perfect. and the more you realise that you wont always get the girl. the better youll cope when the outcome aint any good.

I think I'd go with the above!
  • Options
    no offence matt but i wouldnt be won over by what you said!
    each to their own though! ;)
  • Options
    i love it when blokes offer to buy me a drink, my ,how times have changed....
  • Options
    Another thing, don't be boring, if she asks you where you work, don't say "I work in a bank" say something like "I work 2 days a year in some banks"(like saying you rob them)

And then what? She'll say "2 days a year in a bank, what ya mean? What else do you do?" Then you end up talking shit to her. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to believe anyone works 2 days a year in a bank. It doesn't matter where you work, it's how you say it. Saying "oh I work in a factory" like you've just been kicked in the nuts and slapped in the face ain't gonna sound best pleasing. Say it with a little enthusiasm and kinda laugh about it as if your taking the piss outta your self.
  • Options
    I think on your approach, yeah it's harmless to offer to buy her a drink, indicates a universal code of interest in her in a way, she's knows your interested because blokes do that a lot. That's not to say you're just following a trend though...oh blegh! Just don't be dull, and montomous and predicatable. Yeah be interesting but don't pull all the stops out - we know you're not going to lead the most amazing, fascinating life in the world...but be interestedand engaged with the things you are saying, so we know it means something to you and you're not just dashing out a few lines just for the ladies benefit. I find that some one who is too confident, although seemingly happy in themselves, can be a little intimidating to talk to. I like someone whose still not afraid to falter in the words naturally now and again and not get embarrassed by it. If she's really interested and a decent bird, she'll help fill the silences and respond well to you too

Malt
  • Options
    I was out on the weekend and spotted a few blokes i liked but i didnt know how to come on to them, i made eye contact but was still confused as to what they thought...

what do you guys think about girls approaching you? is it tacky and if not how would you like it done?
  • Options
    aimz wrote:
    I was out on the weekend and spotted a few blokes i liked but i didnt know how to come on to them, i made eye contact but was still confused as to what they thought...

what do you guys think about girls approaching you? is it tacky and if not how would you like it done?
    honey, the guy probably just didnt know how to react during that time.
    honestly, i really love women who have the balls to approach men, especially me. although it sorta give the guy the upperhand, i try to make the girl as comfortable as possible. she deserves it.
    its never easy trying to approach a stranger because theres always a chance of getting turned down. (especially with guys because girls can easily say no to a guy like it was a free give away at tesco).
    for girls who wants to approach a guy, perhaps its better to make them come to you. make eye contact with the guy. smile and if he smiles back then hes responding. when he looks at you make a gesture to make him come to your table. use your finger cos its more sensual. now if youre in a group of friends, stand up and go to the bar or a place where you are alone. girls, it is quite nerve racking for guys to approach a group of girls and vice versa i would believe. (were only one man). plus if youre on your own then youll have his full attention (not split up among youre friends, whom, realise it or not, you are in competition with) (women hate other women). so make him come to you. you get what you want and still have the upper hand. and if youre at bar, theres more chance of him buying you a drink. then if you dont fancy him just leave and go back to the protection of youre friends.
  • Options
    Men are not used to girls approaching.

Speak for yourself sunshine ;)

I love it when girls approach 'cos I'm so lazy.

Seriously though, girls have much less to lose in approaching. It's highly unlikely that a guy is going to send them packing, whereas girls can be quite cruel if you don't approach them properly.
  • Options
    aimz wrote:

If a girl approaches me then I immediately have respect for her. I'm definitely going to take some time to find out what she is like even if she isn't my 'type' physically or whatever because she has the confidence I'm looking for. I personally only find it tacky if they come straight up to you and start grinding on your crotch or something without saying a word. However, for a lot of guys on a Saturday night it probably depends on how drunk they are and what they are looking for that night. As for something to say, go with something funny and a bit ballsy, although be careful if he looks like a shy guy as you could scare him off...in which case you better act like his mum and only ask him questions about the weather. Poor lad :thumb:
  • Options
    Well what would you guys like as an opener question? - say i give him the 'come over' look and he then gives the 'come over' look and i go to him, what do i say to him?!?!?!?
  • Options
    aimz wrote:
    Well what would you guys like as an opener question? - say i give him the 'come over' look and he then gives the 'come over' look and i go to him, what do i say to him?!?!?!?
    dont go to him. make him come to you. because it is either he comes to you or he gets nothing. play with his ego. signal to him if hes chicken or something. do the chicken wing.
    when he comes to you say "Hi. whats youre name?" Then you can check what kind of a person he is by not saying your name until he asks for it. if he doesnt asks for you name, then most probably he aint thinking about who you are and probably more of what you are to him. ask him what he does and build on from that.
  • Options
    Just comment on something like whats she's wearing or a funny event that just took place. Because @ least then if it doesn't work out for whatever reaosn it won't be like you've been turned down since you weren't really hitting on her. And if it works than things will move quickly and easily because she'll view you as caring and down to earth. So you will be safe either way
  • Options
    aimz wrote:

I would be really pleased if a girl made the first move on me.

In fact it sort of happened the other night, when I was out with my housemates were picking up a takeaway before staggering back home. I was standing outside waiting for them eating my pizza and then this girl looks at me and walks in with her friends saying loudly "That guy's pizza looks really nice." and she says it a few times so then I just go "Well, you can have a piece if you want it?" So she comes out has a piece of pizza with me and we get chatting, it was all going really well until my housemate came out and dragged me away as his girlfriend had gone off ahead of us and he wanted to catch her up. Got her name though, not her number unfortunately.

I was so chuffed, still am, it's nice because it's so rare for it to happen to a guy and it really makes you feel good and attractive. I doubt there's many guys who would not pleased - even if they don't fancy you it's really flattering. Plus most guys just cannot read the signals women send out - myself being one of the worst for this! :)
  • Options
    Always check out their wedding finger before approaching!