Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Milk allergy problem

For the third time since I was born, I've had a milk allergy which gives me really bad stomahc cramps and generally makes me really ill. Is there anything I can take to stop feeling this way? I had some milk this morning, not really aware that I couldn't have it and ever since then I've felt really ill and I still have the taste of milk in my mouth.

Also, is there another way I can get some sort of calcium in my diet? (Not sure if this is in soya milk, tbh)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have a kind of milk allergy too (though not as severe as you describe) and my doctor suggested goat milk, instead of cow's. So maybe it's allergy to a specific animal's milk for you too?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ATM, I'm using soya milk, which is rather disgusting. I like goat's milk, but apparantely this is really expensive?
  • Options
    With most soya milks now, they generally fortify it with vitamins and calcium, the only exception to this would be organic soya milk (as most vitamins arent certified organic, so they cant put them in) and value soya milk (which is rank anyway)
    Try sweetened soya milk as opposed to unsweetened. They just sweeten it with a little bit of apple juice and it really makes it taste a lot better.
  • Options
    Also, is there another way I can get some sort of calcium in my diet? (Not sure if this is in soya milk, tbh)

its in fortified soy milk and rice milk.
    you can get calcium supplements as well, avaliable at most health shops.
    there are loads of ways of getting calcium into your diet.
    you can get calcium into your diet by eating: tofu, green leafy vegetables, seeds and nuts - esp. in almonds and also in black molasses, edible seaweeds, watercress, parsley and even dried figs (- but dry figs taste horrible imo.)
    i mean technically if you drink hard tap water, you can get upto 200mg / day through that. - you need around 800mg of calcium per day on average.
    and a real easy way of telling if you are lacking calcium in your diet is to notice whether there are any little white marks on your finger nails - general sign of dificiency.
    are you lactose intolerant or something similar?
    anyway, hope that helps a little. i don't consume milk either.
    and you don't need cows milk remember! :)
  • Options
    For the third time since I was born, I've had a milk allergy which gives me really bad stomahc cramps and generally makes me really ill. Is there anything I can take to stop feeling this way? I had some milk this morning, not really aware that I couldn't have it and ever since then I've felt really ill and I still have the taste of milk in my mouth.

Have you tried Cravendale Milk? All the big super markets sell it and it's much more highly filtered then normal milk - maybe that might help? That is if it's more about being sensitive to the bacteria in milk rather then the milk itself -
  • Options
    the same thing happens to me- I take lactase (you can buy it from Holland and Barrat) if I know I'm going to be eating dairy products, also rice milk is a good alternative, plus you can get it with added calcium; tried soya milk and personally don't like it, but it's better to put in hot drinks that the rice milk.
  • Options
    I agree with Mez- lactase is good from holland and barrett. I have tried almost every soy milk on the market and i will say that alpro is the best! it is actually quite yummy. Plus, they do yogurts as well.
  • Options
    I agree with Mez- lactase is good from holland and barrett. I have tried almost every soy milk on the market and i will say that alpro is the best! it is actually quite yummy. Plus, they do yogurts as well.

Not tried the yoghurts yet - for some reason I'm able to eat yoghurt (and anything apart from milk) with milk it in - that is, I can't drink milk, but anything that has milk in it, I'm fine with. :confused: