Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

favourite child...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how many people have brothers or sisters who they feel are the 'favourite child' of the family??i get on really well with my brother but sometimes i feel like my parents would rather just of had him!!obviously i know its stupid cos i know they love me loads but i cant help but feel that way.
my brother lives round the corner in a flat but basically hes moving out in a few weeks into our house so he can save on rent. anyways, i go to uni an will be home beginning of june until october. my brother is only planning on living there until november so, 1 month more then im going to be there, yet they have moved all my stuff out of my room into a small room so he can move in!!! its like the golden child has returned!! charming!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hmm yeah I sometimes feel like that with my bro and sis. They are both younger than me, and no matter how much stuff they do wrong, they are always forgiven. Like, my parents bitch about them when they are bad, but the rest of the time they just suck up to them. Grr it's so annoying.
  • Options
    yeah with my two year old sister. but then again shes younger than me, so she would have more attention. it doesnt really bother me though
  • Options
    im the youngest child.i wouldnt mind him moving in if i wasnt going to be there, its just the fact that im gonna be there for almost the whole time anyway!
  • Options
    According to my mum, I'm my dad's favourite - which is a load of crap. She ONLY said this because dad taught me something which we've been told that we need to learn and at the time, I was the one that mentioned the subject, therefore he taught me to that thing...

This may sound silly, but I can kind of understand where she's coming from - I mean I'm the only one out of us three who shares some sort of interest with him...
  • Options
    i've got 2 sisters - and i'm the youngest of us 3. i've always thought that the middley sister was the favourite 'cause she was always a good girl and never answered back or anything whereas i did! she was also more intelligient than me, did better in exams and stuff. that was a few years ago though and since then i've realised that i'm better at other things than her. for example she was good at maths and science but i was good at english and art. since then, she's followed my mum's career path and helps my mum around the house etc when she's at home whereas i tend not to and only do so when asked. but i guess it doesn't really mean she's a favourite. she's just more helpful!
  • Options
    I have an older brother who I get on great with especially now that we have both grown up a bit and we are going along the same career path so have a lot in common, but we have a younger half sister and she gets away with murder. My parents (mum and stepdad) say that they don't have favourites but my half sister does get treated differently, probably because she is youngest and my stepdad's only child. My brother used to say that I was the favourite when I was younger but that's only because I was a goody goody and helped mum all the time and stayed out of most arguments!!
  • Options
    but i guess it doesn't really mean she's a favourite. she's just more helpful!
    :lol:

I guess any family with a few children will have these thoughts. It helps to recognise one's own abilities and then just accept that you are going to do different things with your lives that your parents will approve of to varying degrees.

To the person with the brother moving back in, your parents are probably just pleased that he has maintained a close link to home and has felt able to ask to move back in. And when somebody has been used to having their own place, perhaps your parents felt a larger room would be more appropriate, especially with you at uni.
  • Options
    My sister is surely tyhe favorite of my parents she was always so good and sweet growning up very much the opposite of me. Though now that we are older it doesn't really matter since we both have a certain distaste for our parents and our closer to each other and don't care what peolpe think