Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A troubled friendship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, let me post a little background. I am 21 and just moved to this new place last year. I go to college and have never had a girlfriend. So as you can imagine, my self-esteem can be a little low at times

Now to the problem. There was a girl that I like, we used to talk hours a day and she would occationally flirt with me. I would think about her often and felt like this is the one girl in my life that I could be with, and she at times would tell me I am the one guy she can trust in her life. She would often invite me to nearly every event that comes across, and I really enjoyed her company.

So against all other's advice, I decided to make the move and tell her that I really like her. I was flat out rejected and told that she wanted me to be "just a friend". I fell into the dreaded "friend" zone because I simply was too nice and payed too much attention to this girl.

Two months pass, I still like the girl and respect her wishes to be single. Yet I feel a little upset because she believes the crush I've had has put a huge dent in our friendship. So now I feel as if I am on the verge of not only loosing a girl that I really like...but a friend as well.

So now she's been going to parties, movies, and even to the beach with other friends without inviting me. I felt kinda betrayed and upset...we came from "best friends" to just distant friends in a matter a couple months

It's hard because I don't have a lot of friends out here, and since it's summer...there's not much opportunity to go out and meet new people while I am out of school. At the moment I really don't know how to repair our friendship...or if it's worth repairing at all. I want to move on with my life, yet I don't want to loose someone that I really care for.

She often tells me she misses the old days of our friendship when we would talk for hours a day, yet that leaves me totally clueless at how to get back to those old days if she constantly distances herself? Sometimes I try calling her and e-mailing her to catch up on events or to be friendly...yet she barely answers her phone anymore, and never replies to any of my e-mails. So I am totally clueless at this point.

What do you all recommend I should do? The more I think about this, the more I get upset at how it seems like I am loosing my best friend. I sometimes feel that I should stop caring and move on with my life...yet at other times it seems totally wrong to back out of a friendship. :(

Comments

• Options
    tell her in an email parts of what you have told us, that u value the friendship and want things to go back to how things were. she may feel that she has accidently led you on in the past by inviting you everywhere, and is trying not to send mixed messages.

it may also help if you lie and say you are over her, its likely she feels a bit uncomfortable with the situation.

try to accept that she isn't interested and move one. if she isnt interested now then its unlikely she is your "one" , which means the real one is still out there - something for you to look forward to!
  • Options
    Yeah you need to make the point that you want to be friends clear to this girl. Tell her that the fact you don't hang out as much (if at all) anymore upsets you. I mean, explain that although you had/have a crush on her, you don't want things to change between you because you value the friendship so much. If anything, this girl should feel flattered about how you felt for her..Just make your intentions clear, and explain how you understand that nothing more than friendship is ever possible between the two of you. If your grown up about it, then she should be too.
  • Options
    I know what you mean. I'll be moving soon and my best friend just told me he is concerned about our friendship and where it is heading. I told him that I will keep in touch and visit often and we set up dates to hang out to make sure that we will be together. And besides I couldn't really imagine being w/o him b/c we've been friends for so long and so many of my memories inculde him