Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Liver biopsy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone had one of these? My liver consultant dude told me that I may have to have one in 6 months if something or other doesn't return to normal in my liver. I think it's inflamed or something.

Any way, he mentioned that there is a "slight" risk in having one but I didn't ask any more questions.

So anyone had one and what is this so called slight "risk"?

Big needle in my liver doesn't sound to appealing, would rather a kick in nads tbh.

Comments

• Options
    when i was told i might need to have a liver biopsy i wasnt told about any risk or anything so hm.

anyway i know the idea of having a needle going in you to take out a piece of you liver doesnt sound appealing but you'll be under local anesthetic so you wont feel a thing.

theres nothing to worry about really, i still might need to have one but its not been confirmed.

anyway what hospital do you go to?
  • Options
    IF I do have one it will be private unless you can only have them done on the NHS, I dunno.
  • Options
    May as well go private if you have insurance, but it's not the kind of thing where you have to wait ages on the NHS - it's a 5 minute thing normally.

And the risks will be those of any operation or minor procedure - bleeding and infection. But those risks are low because it is a small needle that they use.

More info here
  • Options
    I have aided a doc during this procedure.. the patient was fine. Didnt need to use any of my top quality communication skills for reassurance... ;)
  • Options
    We done loads of these on the day surgery ward where I had a placement. The risk being a slight chance of bleeding coz the liver is a very vascular organ. Its ultrasound guided and observations checked very frequently so I'm sure you'll be fine. The worst part will be the 6 hours lying flat after the procedure lol. Hope everything sorts itself out and it doesn't come to you having to have it though. X