Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mental health and work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all

Just a quickie. As some of you will know I've landed a job that's pretty perfect for me, as part-time jobs go. I'm working in a book shop and I know I am capable of the work, I've been told a few times that people are impressed with how quickly I've got to grips with the ins and outs of it. But there's one thing that's becoming a problem.

I still struggle a good deal with depression (usually manifesting itself as self-harm and bulimia) and at the moment I'm having a really rough time. It's got to the point where I'm having to leave the shop floor quite often to pull myself together. I was ok this weekend (thank goodness because I was on my own and couldn't have left the floor) but sometimes it's a real struggle.

My instinct is to tell a manager, but I know there could be problems.

As I see it, in theory it would mean that they understand if I seem to be a bit out of sorts or if I'm off the shop floor now and then (as long as I don't take the piss), and if it were something more physical like migraine then they'd always be prepared to let people have a few mins out to have glass of water and recover enough. But I'm concerned that they might tell me off for not mentioning it before (I didn't think it would be an issue) or think I'm a hypochondriac drama queen.

So there are the pros and cons - any insights?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Piccolo

I can relate to your problem, I suffer from a very similar one myself. Things came to head at my work late last year, my depression started coming back and I began to find it hard to cope at work this lead to a vicious circle. Because no one knew I was finding it harc they assumed as was slacking so would tell me off. Being told off made me feel worse so the depression deepened.

In the end I came clean to my supervisor who was very symathetic (although I knew chances are she would be as Id seen self harm scars on her). Then we told my manager and at the time she was helpful and look some of my workload off me.

However my manager is very insecure and often goes on a power trip, shes in one at the moment. She scapegoats me and makes my life hell.

Theres good and bad come out of me telling as you can you. My advice to you would be to keep it hidden (if you're anything like me you'll be expert at that most of the time). Wait a while till you get to know people better and then see who you can trust. then come clean.

If you're finding it hard to keep it hidden try to mentally break the day up into little chunks (ie 'only 30 min till lunch' 'in 20 min I'll walk over there and check things are neat'). If you find it getting on top of you at work try to really focus on something concentrate on nothing but that. It might help.

Wishing you luck and PM me if you like

Phoenix
  • Options
    if your employer is the type of employer who is 'understanding' then i suppose by telling them, it could be a bit beneficial to you because they might be willing to make adjustments to suit your needs better so you are a more capable employee. but if you do tell them and they are not so understanding you run the risk of having it undermine their opinions on the work you are actually doing and it could cause more problems with egards to your suitability for your post. personally, i would say unless it is absolutly critical that you tell them - don't! but thats just my opinion. (except of course if you were in a job where you were required by law to inform your employer, but that is not relevant here.) if you need to "pull yourself together" may be you could just ask to use the toilets or something similar?!