Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Making my own duvet cover

I've been looking and looking for the right duvet cover for ages now but with no luck. So I've decided to make it. I want it to be velvet on the outside and satin on the inside. Purple of course:p

I was just wondering how much material I would need. Taking into account that I want to make pillow cases as well.

I know how I'm going to make it cos I can just use my old cover as a guide and wot not.

Also does anyone know how much velvet cost these days? lol
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'd take your duvet out of it's cover and measure the duvets width and length and then add a few cm's/inches either side and the same would go for the pillow cases. you'll also need to make sure you get it in a rectangular shape. i.e. you don't want to have to sew 2 square pieces together to make 1 rectangular shape if that makes any sense. i guess kaff would be a good person to ask but i'm assuming they're fairly easy to make.
  • Options
    make sure whatever you get is machine washable, and id also prewash it before sewing it, because some fabrics shrink and others dont. You could then find that by using two different fabrics in the same item, one side will shrink causing the other side to bunch up (and not fit your duvet anymore) Id ask your local haberdashers whether those fabrics would be suitable. If not, then you could still do it, but id consider making an overquilt/throw type thing, which you wouldnt have to wash as often because it wouldnt be directly in contact with you.
  • Options
    Oh I didnt think of getting a throw...hmmm...I could just buy one cos I've spotted a nice one somewhere.......just gotta find it now lol.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    I was just wondering how much material I would need. Taking into account that I want to make pillow cases as well.

your average double duvet cover is 200cm x 200cm. excluding seam allowances. a normal pillow is 50cm x 70cm.

your first problem would be finding fabric that is wide enough. most come in 150cm widths. high quality velvet and satin generally comes narrower - 1m, usually. you'd either need a seam down the middle, or one down each side.

your second problem - both satin and velvet are an absolute bitch to sew with. i made a satin ball dress once and was ready to top myself by the end. it bunches, it slips, it runs. unless you're a fairly experienced sewer, i'd say avoid like the plague.
    Also does anyone know how much velvet cost these days? lol

heavy, good quality velvet is around £15 a metre. you'd need about 8 metres for a double duvet cover. you can get cheaper velvet type fabric for £3-£5 a metre, but it's usually either crushed velvet, or stretch velvet.

heavy velvet is generally dry clean only.

you can get washable polyester satin for fairly cheap, which would be your best bet (but again with the bitch to sew with).

so yeah, all in all, the throw is a much better idea :)