Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving up smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My fiancee is trying to give up smoking, he's tried nicorette tablet type things and gum, but neither work and they're so expensive. I've been told that if you get patches etc on prescription they will be free. Is this true? He reckons that it would only be free for me because i'm a student, but he's not. He doesn't want to go to the doctor untill he knows either way (stubborn thing). Does anyone know??

Comments

• Options
    send him to a BIG pool that you can swim lengths of about 25/50m and tell him to do 20....that should make him want to stop.

i did 11 yesterday and was about to die....it was then i realised how fucked up my lungs really are :s
  • Options
    Or just sports. If your on a footie pitch you can tell the smokers because when they stop running after a few sprints etc they cough their guts up.

Any way, the patches are free on the NHS. You may have to speak to your GP before hand because you may well have attend a non smoking clinic every two weeks where they test the Carbon Monoxide in your body and give you a little help and support. When you give up the Carbon Monoxide slowly goes out of your system and so when you blow into this little thing it will measure the amount of Carbon Monoxide in your system and it's very easy to tell if your telling fibs about not smoking. The patches will help but you need to want to give up smoking and you need the wheel power to do so as well.
  • Options
    Get him to read 'The Easy Way to Give up Smoking' by Allen Carr. It will take a while longer as you have to smoke while you are reading it but it works for so many people - was unbelievable in my case!

Also, he could call:

Quitline - Helpline for smokers who want to stop & people trying to remain as ex-smokers.
    Web: www.quit.org.uk
    Tel: 0800 002200

Keep supporting him - it's bloody hard but well worth it :yes:
  • Options
    Congratulate him for wanting/trying to stop :thumb:
    My father died within 3 months of being diagnosed from lung cancer which was caused by smoking. I want no one to go through the year i had last year ever :crying: