Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ibs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone know what the symptoms are and does anyone here suffer from it?

when i was in spain they did 2 ultrascans and found nothing. And i know that IBS sufferers are often very stressed out people or very nervous, and i fit that description...

so any help would be great...

Comments

• Options
    Here you go:
    What is IBS ?
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a very common condition in our society. It affects a third of the population at some time or other and about one in ten people suffer symptoms bad enough to go to the doctor. It can be painful and distressing. Diagnosis of IBS should be confirmed by a qualified medical practitioner.

The symptoms of Irritable Bowel may include:

Abdominal pain and spasm

Diarrhoea

Constipation

Bloated stomach

Rumbling noises and wind

Urgency - a need to rush and open the bowels

A feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowels

Incontinence if a toilet is not nearby

A sharp pain felt low down inside the rectum

Nausea, belching and vomiting

Despite showing more awareness of IBS and its effect on the quality of life, still no cure has been found. Stress is believed to play a significant part and some people find their IBS is due to food intolerance. Medical treatment may vary from advice on diet and relaxation to the use of anti-spasmodic drugs or bulking agents. Some people may find help from practitioners of complementary medicine such as acupuncturists, homeopaths, herbalists etc. Others do not receive satisfactory medical help and turn to self help methods. As many people with IBS feel isolated and on their own, one of the most effective ways of coping with IBS on a day-to-day basis is being able to talk about it with other sufferers or read about what has helped them. The IBS Network helps you manage your condition.
  • Options
    sound exactly like it. thanks rich
  • Options
    you can get stress-related IBS. i sometimes suffer from it.
  • Options
    i've had this all my life....but it's been much worse the last 2 months...and no signs of IBS would show up on an ultrascan would it?
  • Options
    No, IBS isn't like a tumour, it doesn't come in a certain 'form' there are only symptoms, so it wouldn't be shown on a scan.

I suffer from IBS, particularly when I'm stressed/anxious, which is pretty much all the time. I'm taking Colpermin to ease my symptoms - peppermint oil.

You may want to chat with your doctor about IBS, they can recommend the best solution.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I suffer from ibs and i take tablets that the doctor prescribed. Its all ok if i take the tablets but if not i get really bad stomach ache and constipation. It can be caused by stress but not always.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    I suffer from ibs and i take tablets that the doctor prescribed. Its all ok if i take the tablets but if not i get really bad stomach ache and constipation. It can be caused by stress but not always.
    What tablets are you on? I've not tried anything other than colpermin as they seem to work for me (and that's great, because they're a natural product). What tablets are available for ibs?

Ilora x
  • Options
    mebeverine tablets. I started by taking 3 a day but gradually iv weened myself off them and now i only take 1 every other day.
  • Options
    Mr Brite gets this. Not as much lately, as hes found he had certain food intolerances, which by avoiding them, he doesnt get his IBS nearly as often.
    He still gets it in times of stress though, and it can be quite incapacitating if you get it severely.
    SOme people get diarroeah or constipation. Some people get agonising bowel cramps.
    IBS wouldnt show up on scans necessarily, because your colon would look normal. What happens is, rather than contracting slowly/regularly/surely to push stuff down, it contracts at random, at the wrong times, and more forcefully than it needs to, meaning it isnt being as efficient as it should. They used to call it `spastic colon` because of the spasms.
    Unfortunatly there isnt much they can do for it, other than prescribe medication.
    Colofac or buscopan are the main ones, as they reduce the spasms. A lot of people find peppermint oil very helpful too, although it didnt do anything for mr Brite.
    Some people find taking aloe vera juice very calming for the stomach. It may also help to take a probiotic supplement.
  • Options
    I get it and I seem to find that cheese and fatty foods trigger mine off so I try to avoid them.
  • Options
    anyone know what the symptoms are and does anyone here suffer from it?

when i was in spain they did 2 ultrascans and found nothing. And i know that IBS sufferers are often very stressed out people or very nervous, and i fit that description...

so any help would be great...

I have IBS, it affects me more when i'm stressed and nervous, but i don't think i developed it because i was stressed or nervous. It also comes on the morning after drinking alcohol, fruit juice, eating spicy food, or greasy food. My usual (unpleasent) symptoms include diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, bloatedness and wind. Though i keep the symptoms under control with Colpermin tablets. Despite what shy boy says, i've never crapped my pants because of it!!! Ewwww
  • Options
    i suufer from ibs. theres no test for it so they diagnose by prosess of elimination.
    i had numerous blood tests, an endoscopy :nervous: tests for all sorts
    i get all the symptons all the time and im now pregnant! ive had it for 2 and 1/2 years!
  • Options
    problem is now i can't get a doctor to see me because i'm not regeistered with a doctor, so i am stuck. :(
  • Options
    Some resources for you:

IBS factsheet

TRue story of ibs

Although you may recognise that you have a lot of the symptoms it's no good diagnosing yourself - 1) you might be wrong and 2) if you are right your doctor needs to advise you on the best course of action.

I'm not sure why you're not registered with a doctor, but if you can get registered or get an emergency appointment with one you are close to in the meantime it would be much better.

Hope oyu get it sorted soon :)