Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dosed up to the eyeballs brilliance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering if Lewis Caroll's visions ('Alice in wonderland', 'Jabberwocky' etc) were the result of consuming vast amouts of drugs untill he was transported into his very own wonderland. I know it is thought that his creations were a result of drug intake but I could not find any facts about it. Maybe saying he was on drugs is a simple way to dismiss his surreal creative tallent, or he may well have been under certain influences. Ive never taken any sort of drugs before myself but feel it would take more to be creative and sureal like Caroll than to simply space out?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Unless your tripping out on something?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, the mushroom Alice ate in the beginning was a hallucinogenic...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    murf wrote:
    ve never taken any sort of drugs before myself but feel it would take more to be creative and sureal like Caroll than to simply space out?

You should get yourself a good dose of shrooms or acid! Then you'll see. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You should get yourself a good dose of shrooms or acid! Then you'll see. :D

:yes: some of the shit you see is just like wtf!

alice in wonderland is definately a creation from an trip head...
  • Options
    opium and cannabis were in common use.
  • Options
    From what I'd heard/read (a level eng lit student:p) Carroll used LSD. Hence the trip down the rabbit hole, the mad hatters tea party and the rest of the story.
  • Options
    Alice in wonderland was made from a tripper, look at the it ffs.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    The Fortean Times has an article about it, most of the Carroll references are on page 4. The Mad Hatter actually suffered an affliction that many hatmakers in Victorian times suffered from - mercury poisoning from making the felt used in hats. And I think that Carroll was around a bit before LSD was synthesised....
  • Options
    From what I'd heard/read (a level eng lit student:p) Carroll used LSD. Hence the trip down the rabbit hole, the mad hatters tea party and the rest of the story.
    lsd wasn't synthed until the 1940's.
  • Options
    Hallucinogenics can make already creative and tallented people create new works, it however does not give normal people the ability to create masterworks, quite the reverse.

Normally drugs turn conversations into drivel, like the people I came across while out a while ago having a deep and meaningful conversation about coco butter.
  • Options
    Heh heh...
    Normally drugs turn conversations into drivel

I'd have to agree with you there!

Maybe the link between drugs and creativity is that you can spend hours and hours focused on what you are doing, (writing a song, painting, whatever) without getting distracted. And your normal self-critisism is somewhat reduced too! (In fact, you tend to think everything you say and do is brilliant!)

It's a weird one - but I know that a lot of people who earn their living through their creativity, and have always done it high, are really scared of coming off drugs in case they loose all their talent. Which is sad.

:(
  • Options
    Solan wrote:
    Maybe the link between drugs and creativity is that you can spend hours and hours focused on what you are doing without getting distracted. . [/COLOR]

:eek2: have you ever tried reading whilst on pills...
  • Options
    Some times our daily lives seem surreal or we seem to be living in a dream and sometimes our dreamworld appears VERY real. Real to us anyway.