Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Report criticises media for mixed messages on drugs to young people

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Article here. Do you agreee that the media reporting on drugs is contradictory? Are you critical of the information generally available? Just curious to know what you all think...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nothing really new is it, we accept actions in the famous that for normal people isnt allowed.

I can see their point though, it is a polarised picture, either someone desperate and destroyed by drugs or some wild playboy living the high life.

There is certainly some sexism here too, men have far more ability to get away with drug use as just part of the rock and roll life. Women doing it is seen a lot of the time as desperate.

As for drug use in the tabloids, dont get me started, its one of my constant annoyances.

Thanks for posting the report though, its always good to share interesting tit bits.
  • Options
    Yes, I think it is contradictory and misleading, and yes I'm always critical of such reports. Not critical in such a way that I won't read the report, but critical in that I'll read through it to see what nonsense and hyperactive descriptions they give.

Unbiased and factual drug reports are generally not pushed into the public domain or discussed on any kind of high-level - e.g. house of commons/lords - because they would contradict the government's drug policy (which sometimes seems to consist largley of 'Drugs are bad, mmkay?').

That said, the current goverment's policy is better than the Tory's proposed approach. But I digress.

For example, hysterical reports about the Leia Betts incident in tabloids next to the factual post mortem drug report as to the real reasons behind her death are hugely confusing.

Good link, btw. The Guardian and The Observer are two papers that've (fairly consistently) reported factually about drugs.
  • Options
    I've always thought the Independant was rather good but recently there have been a few articles of theirs which made me really angry.
  • Options
    I've not read it recently, in fairness, so my opinion may be out of date... :)
  • Options
    I normally get it on Sundays and there have been a couple of articles where I could pick more than a few holes in it. Annoying really because fact checking for drug stories isnt all that hard.
  • Options
    the late sixties early seventies saw mass media advertising for illegas like never before.
    from magazines to serious newspapers ...the war was over it was time to make love instead.
    all the NEW great people were preaching for change ...an end to war and hunger.
    the way to achieve this goal was to grow your hair long stop shaving and take fantastic spiritualy awakening chemicals such as LSD. whilst listening to underground or progressive rock music with psycadelic soaked lyrics and the new electronic sounds of the moog synthesiser.
    welcome to the magic world.
    there was little if any information at all regarding the dangers of drugs ...there were few dissenting voices.
    one article i'll never forget was in the daily mirror around 1974.

microdot lsd has arrived! the most powerful and pure ever to hit the streets of the uk!

funny i'm thinking ...i'm dealing lsd here and i never heard about this stuff.
    seems no one else across the country had either ...
    about three months after this article on how dangerous this stuff would be ...the streets were fulkl of it and ...it was the start of the quality going down not up.

the hows and whys of the report ...where the media knew more than those in the thick of it... has always troubled me.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Nothing really new is it, we accept actions in the famous that for normal people isnt allowed.

I can see their point though, it is a polarised picture, either someone desperate and destroyed by drugs or some wild playboy living the high life.

There is certainly some sexism here too, men have far more ability to get away with drug use as just part of the rock and roll life. Women doing it is seen a lot of the time as desperate.

As for drug use in the tabloids, dont get me started, its one of my constant annoyances.

Thanks for posting the report though, its always good to share interesting tit bits.

the sexism issue is true but it depends on the drugs too
  • Options
    There is a comment from TheSite on there! I've just finished reading it and there is a comment from here.
  • Options
    In the paper article or the DrugScope one? URL?
  • Options
    Go to the drugscope page and its listed there.