Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Effects of E wearing off...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After months of fairly regular pill-taking, the buzz is really starting to become shitty.

I've heard people mentioning a 6 month break will allow you to get back to the honeymoon period, or reasonably close at least...also heard others claiming the buzz wears off permanently...

So any experience in this regard?

Comments

• Options
    You do indeed build up a tolerance to pills/mdma. You need to bear in mind that not only have you built up a resistance to the chemicals, but also that you'll never really manage recreate that buzz you get the first few times you do it (the honeymoon period, where comedowns are non-existant).

The best road to recovery is to look after yourself in the periods in between taking the stuff. Eat well, exercise and neck a bottle of water or two a day. I know it sounds a bit 'old-hat', but it's true.

Finally, each person's different: 2 month's break might be sufficient for one person, while others may find that after a year of abstaining there's no real difference. Horses for courses.
  • Options
    The best road to recovery is to look after yourself in the periods in between taking the stuff. Eat well, exercise and neck a bottle of water or two a day. I know it sounds a bit 'old-hat', but it's true.

You will not believe what 30mins swimming or running about 5 times a week will do for your general mood...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've been dropping pills for almost a deacsde now. though I went though a stage a for a couple of years where it I was consuming pills in double figures every weekend.

Nowadays I seem to have worn it out. I still absoultely love my pills but now
    I can't seem to handle the comedown like I used to. I havn't done pills since NYE I think and that must be the longest break I've had since I was 14 - some 9 years ago.

I still believe MDMA to be the best drug in the world. I used it, I abused it and I fucking loved it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I still believe MDMA to be the best drug in the world. I used it, I abused it and I fucking loved it.

:yes:
  • Options
    i've also done e's to death...absolutely fucking loved the buzz but when the negatives outweigh the positives you know it's time to stop...fuckng despise pills now...maybe i'll go back on them but i don't see me taking them in the forseeable future...
  • Options
    Most people find that their use arches, they discover the drug, then their use goes way up and gradually the down sides outweight the up side.

If you take a break for a few months most people find they get better returns. But as has been said some people dont.

MDMA isnt a simple drug and its tolerance seems to be long term, though the reasons for this are not totally understood.
  • Options
    I believe the long term tolerance is caused by a permanent (not total) depletion of serotonin from the brain...as a result, if there is less serotonin in the brain, the MDMA aint gonna be able to release as much serotonin as it used to as its not simply there to be released in the same amounts
  • Options
    Jim_b wrote:
    I believe the long term tolerance is caused by a permanent (not total) depletion of serotonin from the brain...as a result, if there is less serotonin in the brain, the MDMA aint gonna be able to release as much serotonin as it used to as its not simply there to be released in the same amounts

Sorry, but...

If you had no serotonin in your brain, you'd be dead. Simple.

Short term (eg on the same night), the 'high' stops working because the serotonin reuptake transporters will have remove most of the serotonin from the synapse. Monoamine oxidase breaks down the serotonin before it can be released back into the system. This is why you can't take pills ALL night and carry on getting munted off them.

Long term - the tolerance thing - that's down to damage to the serotonin receptors.

Sorry to be pedantic, but misinformation is dangerous.
  • Options
    Well, I didnt say no serotonin-I just remember reading some lab report where they noticed a 10-15% depletion of serotonin is pill users
  • Options
    Jim_b wrote:
    Well, I didnt say no serotonin-I just remember reading some lab report where they noticed a 10-15% depletion of serotonin is pill users
    Bollocks.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is an article on Erowid entitled MDMA Loss of Magic that talks about the issue of E not having the same impact with longer term use. You may find it an interesting read...

About the issue of serotonin depletion, there are no conclusive studies to say what the long term effects are yet. There has certainly been some research to suggest what JimB said, but it was either conducted on mice or monkeys, and isn't conclusive enough to say for sure. Erowid, again, have a really good run down on Ecstacy neurotoxicity in this article, from which I have pulled the following -
    ... the risks associated with possible long-term brain damage are more difficult to assess. Numerous studies in animals have shown that MDMA can produce long-lasting decreases in brain functions involving the neurotransmitter serotonin. It is unclear what these changes mean. Lasting behavioral changes in MDMA-exposed animals have been seldom detected and are fairly subtle when they are found. Though limited in scope, studies of ecstasy users present a strong probability that similar serotonergic changes occur in many humans. Studies comparing ecstasy users and nonusers support an association between modestly-lowered intelligence testing, or cognitive performance tests, and ecstasy use, but clinically significant performance decreases have not been detected. In other words, there is no increased incidence of clinical complaints or findings.