Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Laser Squad: Nemesis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is fantastic! Really reminds me of X-Com TFTD :) and apocalypse to an extent. I really recommend everyone try it, it's a 6 meg download, turn based squad strategys aren't to everyones tastes but I wish there were more on them. I mean, apocalypse was real time and that was ace but that was also due to the fact you could pase it at any time and set new orders (and you actually did).

Love this game. Might even subscribe!

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure the team behind this are in some way linked to the old XCom games if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    I'm sure the team behind this are in some way linked to the old XCom games if I remember rightly.

Yea I read that too! I can't believe the genre kind of died out though because it was immensely popular. I mean, although on the surface people see 'strategy' and compare to c & c it is a very different type of game with a different appeal, yet all the games developers just seem to think that the c & c clones are a much improved version.

One of the best things about turn based strategies is the detail, because you can have 10 minutes over a go then you can do all sorts of complicated manouvres. It would be interesting, just for a prototype; to see a turn based fighting game, except in detail (not like final fantasy). You and your opponent both chose where your arms and legs went :p so to speak, and then you played it, and if you read their stance correctly you block their punch with your fist and sweeped their legs from under them...

I don't know :p. Because the games of today are getting to a peaking point apparently there is lots of interest in the development of different types of games. If you're interested check new game types out here: http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/
  • Options
    where can i download it from then? huh.. could've provided the link :D
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    where can i download it from then? huh.. could've provided the link :D
  • Options
    There have been a few turn based games (Perhaps the biggest Civilisation 3?) they just don't do as well now a days.
  • Options
    Anyone ever play the original laser squad?

A game of pure genius. Added to by the fact that you could play multi-player (albeit on on ecomputer with the oither person looking away). An option not available for the X-com games.

I wish they would make a proper (not the e-mail thingy) multiplayer version of the old X-com games.

My X-Com Apocalypse team was a hard as nails on Superhuman mode, they would rock......
  • Options
    There have been a few turn based games (Perhaps the biggest Civilisation 3?) they just don't do as well now a days.

That's another different type of game though, it may only be subtle, but you have a whole civilization and do things on a macro scale. And civ 2 is more fun than civ 3 if im honest (i remember playing it back a couple of years when you were excited with animated heralds cos you had a whopping 16mb ram).

Toadborg: I loved x-com apocalypse! It was just fantastic! Sigh. I don't see why a developer doens't just makea good game like that though; with all the stuff they can do now it wouldn't take a lot of effort and they've got no other real competition!
  • Options
    UFO Aftermath?
  • Options
    I will have to look into that, never heard of it before!
  • Options
    If I remember right didn't the guy who developed laser squad and lords of chaos on the spectrum then go on to be the lead designer on X:COM - I think Apoc was the last he worked on before doing nemisis (and I think he's now working on something fantasy based again)