Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Extacy has the last word again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best friend is 45 years old. Possibly a similar age to your dad.

On Saturday night just gone his 18 year old daughter took one extacy tablet at a club. This was the first time she had tried it. She went to bed and never woke up.

Not only has she lost her life but she has ripped apart a mum , dad and 14 year old sister who will miss her for the rest of their lives.

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE , dont take them. They Kill.

Comments

• Options
    And the many hundreds of thousands of other users who dont die?
  • Options
    I have to say - there could be many other factors involved.
  • Options
    Scaremongering. Great.

Information and education isn't worth it any more, is it?

Incidentally, good first post. No introduction, just steaming into a minor (albeit probably good-intentioned) trolling.
  • Options
    robustini wrote:
    She went to bed and never woke up.

How likely is this though? i mean come on!
    If she was going to die from taking exstacy she isnt going to be fine when she goes to sleep and then not wake up, it would highly unlikely of her to take a pill on the way home because whats the point, nobody wants to get home then start coming up, they want the buzz while theyre still out.
    if she was going to die it would be a lot more likely to be from dehydration or over-hydration in which case she would have collapsed before going to bed...
  • Options
    Actually it can happen. People react in different ways to different drugs. With pills, you've no idea what is actually in it (unless you made it yourself). Some people have been known to be fatally allergic to MDMA and associated drugs.

As such, it's fairly likely she had a reaction to an ingredient in the pill.

What I disapprove of is blanket statements like "Don't Take Drugs, They Kill" because they're misleading and tantamount to scare tactics.

Education is the way forward.
  • Options
    rubistini...i'm very sorry to hear about your mates daughter, it's a tragic lose of life but don't be saying stuff about something you have no idea about...yes there is a slim chance of dying from ecstacy, but relatively speaking it's one of the safest drugs out there, there's probably more chace of you going out, getting pissed and falling asleep on a railtrack or something like that than dying on an E tablet, and if you know how to handle yourself on them it's even safer, that's why educating people about the drug is the only way forward, telling the public it's effects, both positive and negative, to drink water, be in a safe environment if you choose to take them, is much better than saying "don't take e's, they'll kill you"...

education is the key...scare tactics isn't...people will probably take them anyway
  • Options
    nah be reasonable, shes lost a mate and it was the pill that killed her. Sorry to hear about the loss, but the first time is a massive gamble and very occasionaly things do go wrong. 30,000 people die from alcohol in britain a year, and these people dont even get a mention. No disrespect at all, but in my opinion E isnt a killer considering people can eat a nut and die if they are allergic. sorry to hear the loss again, people dont deserve to die for dropping.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    People die in car crashes all the time doesn't mean people should stop driving - just that they should take more care when doing so.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    too fucking right
  • Options
    :yes:
  • Options
    Deaths from MDMA can be very dramatic though, and because of that they get more press coverage than other deaths.

Someone dying from lung cancer isnt news, its not exciting, its not dramatic, its just plain slow horrible death.

However, knowing that a young woman has had massive internal bleed and her organs had ruptured causing her to die is dramatic and it is news worthy.

The difference is one is a very occasional horrible death, the other is a daily occurance.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    Deaths from MDMA can be very dramatic though, and because of that they get more press coverage than other deaths.

Someone dying from lung cancer isnt news, its not exciting, its not dramatic, its just plain slow horrible death.

However, knowing that a young woman has had massive internal bleed and her organs had ruptured causing her to die is dramatic and it is news worthy.

The difference is one is a very occasional horrible death, the other is a daily occurance.

Just because the others are daily a occurance doesn't make them any less 'horrible'.

It's just the fact that MDMA is illegal that makes a 'good story'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Just because the others are daily a occurance doesn't make them any less 'horrible'.

I wasnt in anyway saying it was.

There is also the issue of age as well, most people who die from ecstasy are in their late teens or early twenties, cut down in the prime of life as the tabloids are likely to say. That isnt the case with lung cancer.

I would actually say that the daily and numerous deaths from smoking are more horrible because they are so preventable.