Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moderating dilemma on a metal forum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i've posted this on another forum so i'll just cut and paste to save time:

I'm a forum manager on a heavy metal site. I've had to deal with a couple of posters, being abusive (were probably the only metal forum thats friendly and i want us to keep that way) and now spamming. We have a new system put in where you can earn "Scuzz bucks", everytime you post a reply or start a new post, these can then go towards purchasing things for the forum. So its like a currency.

I've had to post a sticky warning posters off spamming. One person posted about 10 posts, some of them were really silly, like saying good night! So i deleted the ones i thought were spam. Now she's having a go at me for it! Problem is she's the admin's girlfriend!

I've had problems before when a poster was abusive to me, because i passed him up for a promotion to moderator. He just wasn't suitable. In the end admin blocked his IP, but everyone blamed me. It just seems when i'm one of them, everyone gets on well. The moment i actually have to do my job, bitching starts. What can i do? Have any of you ever had problems??

.. Basically this girl is insulting me saying (to qoute)

"excuse me but im not happy.

a smiley face is no reply like before i have put lol as a reply n u deleted it ! then put up a postin notice that peoples post should be for people to actually reply 2 !! and not just to earn scuzzed bucks.
uve delted alot of my posts before so dont say you cant do it. im not happy satehen just becoz alot of these people are your friends gives you no reason to treat me differently !
ian has also commented on it. You'd better sort out your f*ckin rules if you want to be the forum manager."

And..

"i was not being abusive to you satehen if ya want i will but i wasnt ok ? get it right.

im fed up of this fuckin forum manager!!"

Hmm and thats not abusive!? Personal attacks are against the rules, how much would i love to ban her IP!? I love this forum! I am totally dedicated to it and everyone else is so friendly!! But this is really getting me down!! What do i do? :( :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    If you discuss it with Admin, forwarding any abusive PMs I'm sure they would be able to settle it for you.
  • Options
    She's the primary admins girlfriend though!
  • Options
    Then she should know better than to give abuse to mods
  • Options
    This is really getting me down, for the first time on this forum i feel useless, how can i ban her IP?
  • Options
    Just ban her username
  • Options
    After the abuse i faced last time!? I didn't even do it and i got blamed!! I really loved this site, but this girl.. i just feel so victimised and helpless. :crying:
  • Options
    Tbh, just because she is the admins gf it doesnt give her the right to abuse the system. How many other mods are there? Maybe you could talk to them and find out if they are having the same problems with this person, and if so, a few of you can inform the primary admin. He will have to listen if its more than one person complaining about her..
  • Options
    Theres only one other moderator and he came over from a forum where isults are a daily occurance, so this is nothing to him. Besides its just me she's got it in for. This time though i've left the insults posted so the main admin can read them. Proof.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Theres only one other moderator and he came over from a forum where isults are a daily occurance, so this is nothing to him. Besides its just me she's got it in for. This time though i've left the insults posted so the main admin can read them. Proof.

Yeah do that..hopefully that bitch will get her commupence (sp?)
  • Options
    I hope he does something about it, but they've only just got back together after a split, is he really likely to want to upset her?
  • Options
    can't you just ignore her?
  • Options
    Well, there's nothing wrong with him having a little word with her. I mean, it doesn't need to be harsh. Can't he just explain that your upset by it or whatever..is there any reason she is rude to you? Just because you deleted some of her pointless posts?
  • Options
    lucifer no theres no ignore function. (unfortunatly). Yep basically i deleted one post for spam, then she became abusive so i edited out the abuse. Then she started blaming me for deleting loads more posts, which i didn't. I think she just wants a fight.
  • Options
    i don't mean as in an ignore function, i just mean ignore her comments. don't let her get you down she's not worth it. and anyway who cares if she's admins girlfriend? she should get treated like anybody else.
  • Options
    Its because i treated her like everyone else that she started this! I tried to ignore her, but its such a friendly forum, we don't alllow personal attacks, so something needed to be done! Besides i'm worried the others will listen to her lies and turn against me. Though it could work the other way, they could see that she's being insulting to me and i'm being calm back. I'm hoping they'll see it that way, i'm determined not to rise to her comments, though she insinuated that i'm a bitch.
  • Options
    Well you can either tell the admin guy, or just ignore it as lucifer said..don't rise to the bait. Soon she will back off and get bored..
  • Options
    Apply the same rules to her as you would to anyone else.

At the end of the day if the admin chooses otherwise because it's his girlfriend then he can undo whatever decision you make.
  • Options
    Not sure how much we'd be able to help, but if you want, email me and I can you the mods at TheSite.org's view.
  • Options
    ok guys im gonna lock this topic for now but please take a moment to read the board rules. Please note that Moderator/Administrator decision is final and we are not always at liberty to explain why a post/thread/topic has been locked. Whilst we at scuzzed appreciate the frustration this causes we need to spend the time focusing on scuzzed and dont always have the time to explain why topics/threads/posts have been deleted, locked or moved. Thank you for your understanding in this matter

You've got the admins support from what I read there. Some people are just cows like that, I mean to get angry at someone because they deleted a 'lol' post or a 'goodnight' post?????? She doesn't have a life at all satehen, be glad that you do and come spend more time here at thesite where we're all friendly people :)