Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What the hell do we do about pills?!

I'm getting depressed, I cant see any future for pills that isn't deeply saddening.

The number of pills used each dose is going up, the price is down and the average age of the user is going down.

Education efforts have failed miserably to protect those who are at most risk.

14 year olds doing pills on a regular basis, just look at Skive, is this the future we want?

(joking mate, but seriously, this is a bad trend)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First thing to remember is that people will take pills if they want to - no amount of education or warnings or shoutings-at will stop them until they've satisfied their curiosity.

You remember there was furorè about how alcopops encouraged underage drinkers? Underage kids still went out and got wrecked, regardless of what they were taught or what the law says.

You're right - it's heading in a rather grim way.

There's not a lot that can be done, other than educating people as to dangers in a non-biased way, rather than just jumping on the "Drugs Are Bad, Mmmkay?" bandwagon.
  • Options
    But people have been trying to educate them, saying about water, not drinking alcohol while you take pills etc. and its done no good.
  • Options
    There really isn't much else that can be done. It's sad, but it's the way it is.

At the end of the day, people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If doing innumerable amounts of illegal drugs fucks them up later on in life, they've no-one to blame but themselves. There's only so much education that can be undertaken: if people don't listen, it's their fault.

I know this doesn't sound constructive, but I for one take total responsibility for my actions, and am fully aware that:

a) I may not live past 60 (given my recent Class A shenanigans),
    b) If I suffer from physical or mental illness later on in life as a direct result of abusing Class As, then it's MY fault, and
    c) I can only pray that the NHS or whoever will see themselves clear to making sure I don't die of my illnesses (if i get any).

Take drugs with unknown long-term side-effects, prepare to expect the worst. Simple.

Like I say, please don't construe this as me having a go at anyone: I myself am completely guilty of taking illegal substances.
  • Options
    Of course, each of us should take responsibility for our own actions and the outcomes from that.

But many young users are not taking responsibility, they just arent thinking about it at all.

Plus, its all very well saying 'I'll deal with it' but as you mentioned the NHS will be the one who deals with it.

And I hate to be this old git moaning on about the youth, but it is depressing to see kids using drugs without thinking about their life further than next week. It shows a fatalism and almost nihilism which isnt all that healthy.

Of course, I wasnt that different when I was a teenager but at least I was only messing about with alcohol and cannabis. Two drugs which arent going to (within reason) give you long term health problems.

It just seems that MDMA isnt given the respect it deserves, its a strong and dangerous drug, but its used like its not.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you dude (although I've no personal experience of kids as young as 14 using pills/mdma).

I know you made a point of saying that:
    "alcohol is a drug that (within reason) isn't going to give you long terms health problems"
    ...but it is.

When I was younger, I abused alcohol. I was drinking by the age of 14, and in pubs by 15 (being 6'2 helps), and by 18 was drinking regularly. Thing is, if I'd known the amount of damage it causes to your brain (cells), memory and liver, I'd....well, I'd have done it anyway. Only now do I see how it affected me.

Retrospection will be the key. And by then, it'll be too late. You can only educate those who want to be educated.

Sad but true.
  • Options
    Certainly, I know it can cause problems, thus the small caveat. I was being a bit simplistic.

What I was refering to I suppose is that with alcohol most users can experiment and go a bit too far without any serious concerns. With MDMA thats not really the case.
  • Options
    True, although recent studies have shown that damage to serotonin receptors and similar can actually be repaired by abstaining.

I'll try and find the link.
  • Options
    Hmm, its really a mixed picture, there seems to be some re-growth in some experiments.

I posted a few interesting PDF file reports a while back, one of which compared MDMA users to other drug users who hadn't used MDMA, the depressive score indicators were very similar, suggesting that its maybe not the MDMA.

Given I'm not really supposed to pull up dead threads, that research can be found here;

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=78825&highlight=Interesting
  • Options
    Interesting reading indeed...

*I shrug*

People are weird. End of. :)