Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Endo? Me!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For some time now I've been suffering from symptoms that sound similar to endometriosis. I've been diagnosed with IBS but am not convinced it is IBS. I'm not sure what's up with me, but it's definitely something.

What do I do?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    what are your symptoms?
  • Options
    Well, I've been on the pill now for over a year and only went on the pill because of irregular periods and period pain. I also bloat a lot and feel quite gassy and full. I get ovulation pains every 2 weeks or so too. I have diorrhea (sp) around the time of my periods. I also get a lot of inexplicable tummy aches/pains and sensitivity to certain foods.

Ilora x
  • Options
    sounds like it could be

totally different things to what i get with endo but relevent all the same because it affects everyone in different ways

i think you should go to see a doctor, although the only way to 100% diagnose endo is through a small operation

it can be a long, long process. it took them 6 years to diagnose me
  • Options
    Well, the only thing stopping me seeing my GP is the whole 'internal exam' bit... which I'm not comfortable with at all....

The operation however, isn't a problem because I'd be asleep for that bit lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    sounds like IBS to me. There are varying degrees of it and different people have different symptoms. Its a kind of `catch all` diagnosis really. For instance some people might just get diarroeah whereas others will get agonising cramps.

I also get diarroeah around the time of my period every month. I wonder why that is?
  • Options
    Well, the only thing stopping me seeing my GP is the whole 'internal exam' bit... which I'm not comfortable with at all....

The operation however, isn't a problem because I'd be asleep for that bit lol.

Ilora x

i'd just like to make the point that an internal examination is un-necessary with endo as nothing can be seen.

i have had endo for 9 years and have never had an internal examination.
  • Options
    I also get diarroeah around the time of my period every month. I wonder why that is?

Me too, I've always wondered why that happens...... :chin:
  • Options
    See your G.P with your concerns. You can actually refuse a PV exam, lots of people do.
  • Options
    A lot of people get miss-diagnosed with IBS when they have endo - but it doesn't mean you definatly have it. You really should talk to your doc about it though.
    Has the pill made a diffrence to your symptoms? (ie the painful periods and stuff bit).
    Internal examinations don't let doctors know anything to do with endo - unless you're on at the time of the internal and they can feel endo deposites around that site. Also you can always refuse one anyway if you're not comfortable about it - legally they can't make you have one.

If you go to the doc and they basically don't help at all and fob you off get a second opinion cos it might be worth having it all checked out and some docs are crap about getting the ball rolling for you.

Anyway good luck with whatever you deside. :)
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    A lot of people get miss-diagnosed with IBS when they have endo - but it doesn't mean you definatly have it. You really should talk to your doc about it though.
    Has the pill made a diffrence to your symptoms? (ie the painful periods and stuff bit).
    Internal examinations don't let doctors know anything to do with endo - unless you're on at the time of the internal and they can feel endo deposites around that site. Also you can always refuse one anyway if you're not comfortable about it - legally they can't make you have one.

If you go to the doc and they basically don't help at all and fob you off get a second opinion cos it might be worth having it all checked out and some docs are crap about getting the ball rolling for you.

Anyway good luck with whatever you deside. :)
    I've read on some endo sites that they sometimes do an internal exam, but I'm not gonna worry bout that I don't think.

Well I've been on the pill for over a year now and it has regulated my periods and soften period pain - it's not half as bad as it used to be. I still have quite bad PMS but I think that's just hormonal lol.

I think I'll go see my GP, he's an awesome guy and is helping me out with my RSI and sending me for referals, so I know he wouldn't fob me off.

Thanks for all your help people, I didn't realise Endo was such a common problem! I feel a lot more comfortable now, thanks :) Ilora x
  • Options
    sounds like IBS to me. There are varying degrees of it and different people have different symptoms. Its a kind of `catch all` diagnosis really. For instance some people might just get diarrhoea whereas others will get agonising cramps.
    Yep.

Why endometriosis out of all the causes of abdominal pain?
  • Options
    i was diagnosed with ibs after years of tests and examinations but i dnt think i have it. I have similar symptoms to you and i had the 'internal exam' it really wasnt tht bad and to be honest i cant remeber anything about it.
  • Options
    if you have ibs ...take a tablespoon of honey every morning and every evening ...you'll soon get pissed off with the stuff but ...it will actualy improve your symptoms in an amazing way.
    seriously ...try it ...what have you to loose?
  • Options
    if you have ibs ...take a tablespoon of honey every morning and every evening ...you'll soon get pissed off with the stuff but ...it will actualy improve your symptoms in an amazing way.
    seriously ...try it ...what have you to loose?

Just out of interest, why is a table spoon of honey beneficial for IBS? :chin:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    Just out of interest, why is a table spoon of honey beneficial for IBS? :chin:
    try it for a week and then come back and you tell me.
    what have you to loose?
  • Options
    try it for a week and then come back and you tell me.
    what have you to loose?

So you don't know then? (I don't have IBS).
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    So you don't know then? (I don't have IBS).
    all i know are the testomonies of folk who have given it a go.
    from old geezers down the pub who wouldn't consider such old wives tales but then tried it ...to my mum who had died of stomach cancer ...who gained amazing relief from honey ...and lots of disabled kids i come into contact with who have all manner of digestive problems ...try it for a week ...see the difference in your complexion as well.
  • Options
    Thanks, but I don't think I'll be trying that honey marlarky lol. The mint oil capsules do me just fine - and they won't put weight on!!

2 table spoons of Honey's alright for someone who likes their exercise, but I'm really not that type of person so I think I'll give it a miss.

Ta anyway like ;) Ilora x
  • Options
    Thanks, but I don't think I'll be trying that honey marlarky lol. The mint oil capsules do me just fine - and they won't put weight on!!

2 table spoons of Honey's alright for someone who likes their exercise, but I'm really not that type of person so I think I'll give it a miss.

Ta anyway like ;) Ilora x
    :D you wont know what your missin'.
  • Options
    :chin: hmmm I know it's up to you and everything and maybe your weight is a big issue to you, in which case just ignore me... but wouldn't it be better to get ontop of the pain and have something as simple as a couple of spoonfuls of honey every day (if it really works for people with IBS and stuff) and maybe put a tiny bit of weight on than have to put up with the pains? Just seems like a lot of people who have to put up with painful things find something that's the lesser of two evils, maybe the pain is more preferable to the weight in your mind but I think it's worth a go if it really does seem to work... you can always stop can't you. :)
  • Options
    Pain? But I'm not in any pain.

I take Colpermin (peppermint oil capsules) which helps with my IBS symptoms, and the Contraceptive Pill for my period pain.

It'd take a hell of a lot more than period pain for me to willingly eat 2 tablespoons of pure sugar. :yuck:

Ilora x
  • Options
    OK fair enough :)