Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i think i may have decided ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
to vote libs.
the lady in anything goes ...was very similar to the gent i spoke to today out on the streets of north wales.
clever ...committed ...sharp ...willing to listen and answer ...on the ball.

i'm a labour man but not a tony fan.
the libs i believe would make for a real opposition party to labour.
for 8 years there has been no opposition.
the libs i believe can be just that ...and then maybe ...just maybe somemore.

Comments

• Options
    to vote libs.
    the lady in anything goes ...was very similar to the gent i spoke to today out on the streets of north wales.

Great minds think alike Rolly! I'm the same as you, Labour - proper Labour but can't bring myself to vote for Blair. As this campaign has gone on, I've become more and more solid on voting Lib Dem - only a miracle could get me voting Labour now.
  • Options
    Hahahaha, youve been taken in by the Lib Dem spin machine.
  • Options

Care to elaborate Mat?
  • Options
    vote labour!
  • Options
    :thumb:
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    vote labour!
  • Options
    There's a song in there somewhere...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    There's a song in there somewhere...
    a blues song ...
  • Options

What kind of retort is that.

Had Rolly said that he was going to vote Tory/Labour/OMR someone could make the same point you have.

You really are pathetic Mat, is that the best you can do?
  • Options
    Considering that for years now hes been saying how he would vote Labour whatever happens...

Its not an insult, many people are taken in by the Lib Dems promises. They can promise all things to all men because they will never be elected into government to carry it out.
  • Options
    kevlar85 wrote:
    Great minds think alike Rolly! I'm the same as you, Labour - proper Labour but can't bring myself to vote for Blair. As this campaign has gone on, I've become more and more solid on voting Lib Dem - only a miracle could get me voting Labour now.

:thumb: Same here, I cannot bring myself to vote Labour while Blair is leader.
  • Options
    to vote libs.
  • Options
    Excellent news rolly.

Vote Lib Deme everyone.
  • Options
    to vote libs.

I'll be voting likewise.

They'll become as equally bent/self-serving as the tories and labour once power corrupts, however.
  • Options
    Considering that for years now hes been saying how he would vote Labour whatever happens...

Its not an insult, many people are taken in by the Lib Dems promises. They can promise all things to all men because they will never be elected into government to carry it out.
    i do want to vote labour mat but theres tony blair stopping me.
    so my decision a while back was to turn up and spoil my paper.
    now though ...i have talked to libs in the street and on the door ...i saw the woman in anything goes ...what impresses me is the time and effort they are actualy willing to put in ...and labour need some serious opposition in the house ...something that has NOT come from the tories ...but will hopefully come from the libs.
  • Options
    hmm

it sounds to me like you are just voting libs to spite labour. Saying that they might give them a run for there money... if thats what you want then you should vote conservative, as at least they have a small chance of defeating labour ( only a couple points behind in the polls ), lib dem's dont stand a chance, might as well just spoil your ballot, it is pretty much the same thing. Me personally, im not going to vote, i know some people will be mad, because they believe it is your duty and your right to vote. But if you dont believe in/ have faith in any parties, then i think you have a duty not to vote, instead of just voting for a party you dont believe in just for the sake of voting. Now if there was a "none of the above" spot on the ballot then i would go vote and check that option, since there isnt i will just abstain.

Craig
  • Options
    it sounds to me like you are just voting libs to spite labour. Saying that they might give them a run for there money... if thats what you want then you should vote conservative, as at least they have a small chance of defeating labour ( only a couple points behind in the polls ), lib dem's dont stand a chance, might as well just spoil your ballot, it is pretty much the same thing. Me personally, im not going to vote, i know some people will be mad, because they believe it is your duty and your right to vote. But if you dont believe in/ have faith in any parties, then i think you have a duty not to vote, instead of just voting for a party you dont believe in just for the sake of voting. Now if there was a "none of the above" spot on the ballot then i would go vote and check that option, since there isnt i will just abstain.

Craig
    i understand what your saying but ...i could never ever vote tory ...i'm old enough to remember the thatcher years ...to remeber micky howard as home secratary.
    i don't particularly want labour out of power but i do want tony out.
    i cannot put my name to tony becuase of my feelings not just about the war but the a labour prime minister has sucked up to the most right wing nut fucking job republican president in history.
    if america invades iran ...tony will be in there ...but not with my blessing.
    like i said before ...i want to see labour face some propper opposition ...the tories cannot offer that. the tories are a bad joke.
    the libs have impressed me. i hope they will become the second party.
  • Options
    There are areas where the Lib Dems have a good chance against a standing Labour MP. The Labour Party would love everybody to believe that a vote for the Lib Dems is wasted but yet they seem to be genuinely worried by the threat. Hence the panic over the Muslim vote and the use of anti-war MPs/personalities to prop up the campaigns of threatened seats.

Apathy and low turn outs by people who can't see the point in voting just further encourages the lack of accountability we see in modern politics.
  • Options
    People bitched about Tories and gave them more than a decade in power, now its Labour in that hotseat and Ive watched all along as people continue to make excuses as to why - after both parties have lied, connived and abused their power and the citizens of the UK - they still won't wake up and do the simple logical thing and try an alternative.

FFS, you'd only be giving them 5 years, isn't it time to stop moaning and at least see if they could restore some notion of accountable governance? If they proved no better then at least a couple things would have been finally achieved:

1. It would have finally shown the public that the three current parties are all corrupted beyond any right to hold elected office and thus allow for the emergence of new grassroots parties or better yet, movements, to field candidates (and perhaps only on a fixed term-limit mandate, thus eradicating once and for all the "career politico in the UK).

2. It would also force the establishment of new mechanisms for public scrutiny of government actions independent of influence or hinderence by those occupying #10.

Things wont change one iota and only get worse if you folks just keep repeating the same choice between the same two parties as "the only viable options" and hoping for anything but the continuation of the status quo. My own country should be example enough of this folly to chill British blood to the core.
  • Options
    Interesting fact for you all - according to one of the pollsters whenever Blair comes on the TV a net 26% of voters say it makes them less likely to vote Labour.

Anyway, looks like the campaign is going to get interesting over this last full week. The Lib Dems are going for it on Iraq, so are the Tories which I reckon may knock Labour's support through attrition. There are rumours that one of the parties has an ace up its sleeve on Iraq regarding some information Blair doesn't want to get out.... Either way the whole issue of trust in Blair personally is brought up and I can't see it doing the Labour campaign much good...

I agree with Rolly, I can't put my cross next to the Conservative candidate knowing the damage they did last time. It's just morally wrong for me. Especially for my Conservative candidate who is on the London Assembly and is the most rabid Thatcherite going, every time I see him on the local news I just want to kick the screen in.