Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

which painkiller is best?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I'm ill :(

I have a bastard headache and a dodgy stomach which really hurts! I feel sick but I havent been sick. Just refusing to eat until this goes away. Have been drinking lots of water but my headache is being stubborn and is just getting worse. I want to take a painkiller, I have ibuprofen (nurofen) and paracetamol but which one is likely to irritate my stomach the least? The last thing I want is to feel as sick as I did last night.

Answers?

Comments

• Options
    Paracetamol, a pint of water and a lie down.

Don't take ibuprofen like smarties. It can irritate the stomach and is no more effective for headaches than paracetamol.

ps Own brand ibuprofen is the same as nurofen. But is probably less than half the price. Don't be fooled by the adverts.
  • Options
    Paracetomol makes me throw up... personally I'd have Ibuprofen when I need it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    ps Own brand ibuprofen is the same as nurofen. But is probably less than half the price. Don't be fooled by the adverts.

Yup :yes:

Amazes me that brand culture applies to medicines.

Look at the ingredients of branded compare to own brand medicines - exactly the same - you are paying for the nice shiny packet and the name.
  • Options
    if you're worried about feeling sick, try taking one paracetamol with lots of water, and if that doesn't do the trick, take the other one an hour or two later. i find staggering them like that helps to prevent dodge side effects, and means if you only need one, you only take one.
  • Options
    i always use percoset... but you need a prescription for it!
  • Options
    menuserve wrote:
    percoset
    Say what?
  • Options
    Kentish - Percocet is an American drug, I believe. See this

The others are right - paracetamol over ibuprofen for any stomach pain. Which means I'd be stuffed if I was in your situation, as aspirin seems to be the only effective analgesic in my case and it's a similar drug to ibuprofen.
  • Options
    Paracetamol and Oxycodone?

Why do you need such a powerful [controlled] drug?

EDIT: Not being nosey - just curious.

EDIT II: Ibuprofen and Aspirin are classed a NSAIDs [Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs]. Aspirn has an anti-coagulation and anti-pyretical properties.
    Paracetamol is the main anti-pyrexial drug [temperature 'reducer'].
  • Options
    Is oxy around in the UK?
  • Options
    Oxycodone? Yup.

Oxycontin is a brand name for oxycodone, I jhave seen it in liquid and tablet form.

However, it is a controlled drug and requires a prescription and only a limted [7 day usually] supply will be given.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    EDIT II: Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Aspirin are all classed a NSAIDs [Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs]. Aspirn has an anti-coagulation and anti-pyretical properties, paracetamol is the main anti-pyrexial drug [temperature 'reducer'].
    It doesn't say that here :chin:

Paracetamol, or acetaminophen, has little anti-inflammatory activity, and is not an NSAID.
  • Options
    Fool that I am - didnt even read my EDIT II, I have changed it....

[Damn!!!]
  • Options
    running low on my dear pro-coxamol at the mo :(
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    running low on my dear pro-coxamol at the mo :(

is that co-proxamol :p
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    is that co-proxamol :p
    Quiet, You
  • Options
    Codeine, But i think it's prescription only.
    I've also tried Co-Codamol and i think they sell that over-the-counter it contains Codine and Paracetamol.

I only take them for Migraines and Headaches though.
  • Options
    yea you can get co-codamol OTC which is 500mg paracetamol/ 8mg codeine phosphate

much nicer (prescribed) painkiller is good old kapake (30mg of codeine opposed to 8mg per tablet)

dihydrocodeine is also good :D (came across a few dhc 60's a few wees ago)

i usually take two of whatever for a headache .. but paracetamol isn't the best!
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Oxycodone? Yup.

Oxycontin is a brand name for oxycodone, I jhave seen it in liquid and tablet form.

However, it is a controlled drug and requires a prescription and only a limted [7 day usually] supply will be given.
    Isn't the oxycontin stuff supposed to be like uber-strong and very expensive or am I confusing it with something else?
  • Options
    "Uber Strong" - Hence why it is a controlled drug

*flicking through the BNF*

OxyNorm [oxycodone hydrochloride] 5mg, 56 tab pack costs £10.56

OxyContin [oxycodone hydrochloride, slow release] 5mg, 28 tab pack costs £11.58
  • Options
    Thanks for the info :)
  • Options
    Isn't oxycontin a celebrity drug of choice?

I seem to remember Jack Osbourne being addicted to it.
  • Options
    I've always been taught by my best friend (the school nurse) that if you feel sick, paracetamol is wasted on you... I have no idea. I like Ibuprofen but I've never taken it while feeling sick.
  • Options
    Scarlet wrote:
    Isn't oxycontin a celebrity drug of choice?

I seem to remember Jack Osbourne being addicted to it.

"Hillbilly Heroin" it is sometimes called. A "designer drug" - whatever that is.....
  • Options
    "Oxycodone is a semisynthetic opiate agonist derived from the opioid alkaloid, thebaine, and is similar to other phenanthrene derivatives such as hydrocodone and morphine. Oxycodone is used to control moderate to severe pain, including cancer pain, postoperative, postextractional, and postpartum pain and non-pain syndromes such as restless leg and Tourette syndromes. Oxycodone has the same potency as morphine (but considerably less side effects) and may be an alternative in users or patients who can not tolerate morphine or hydromorphone. "

and yea i think it is expensive in america, not too sure tho

(when you're talking about how much it costs it would be the streetprice that you're talking about ... )