Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paxman vs Kennedy 19:30 tonight (the 18th!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Topic says it all. In case anyones interested. It's on BBC1.

Comments

• Options
    vs?

It's meant to be an interview!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    vs?

It's meant to be an interview!

Interviews with Paxman always turn into a confrontation though don't they. ;)

I look forward to when Paxman interviews Micheal Howard.....
  • Options
    i'll be very keen to see if kennedy is on the ball tonight...i get the impression a lot of the time he hasn't got a clue what he's on about or his party's line...dunno though
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    It may only have one question. Howard will spend 30 minutes avoiding it and Paxman will spend 30 minutes repeating it over and over. :lol:

I hope Paxman can get them to cut the crap. He's the only one that ever seems to try.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It may only have one question. Howard will spend 30 minutes avoiding it and Paxman will spend 30 minutes repeating it over and over. :lol:

I hope Paxman can get them to cut the crap. He's the only one that ever seems to try.

Yeah I can see it now:

PAXMAN: "Good evening, and welcome to the second in our interviews with the party leaders, tonight it's the Conservative Party leader Michael Howard... now as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted... Did you threaten to overrule him?" :D

Interesting to compare the BBC and ITV's treatment of the election - ITV's interviews with the party leaders are at 11.10pm! Also (OT sorry!), am I the only one who thinks party election broadcasts should be screened before Coronation St and EastEnders as opposed to after the news?
  • Options
    Ahh, I see you have returned Kevlar!

Welcome back.
  • Options
    Ahh, I see you have returned Kevlar!

Welcome back.

Thanks Mat, it's good to be back! Good to see so many names I remember, to be honest I wasn't sure if anyone would remember me! Well, I wanted to talk about the election and my housemates were at the knife sharpening stage so I thought I'd come back and spout off as ever!

So hello everyone, old and new! :wave:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

I hope he draws blood
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I hope he draws blood
    I thought that was what Howard does... ;)
  • Options
    Paxman is mean. :(
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Paxman is mean. :(

He's asking the questions that everyone else probably wants to hear answered. Kennedy's being a bit wishy-washy and vague imho...

Ian.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Paxman is a labour or conservitive?
  • Options
    Anyone know if Paxman is a labour or conservitive?

Whichever one he is, he's never discriminatory about whom he decides to savage :thumb:

Ian.
  • Options
    Tough questions, intelligent answers. I was impressed with Charles Kennedy.
    Anyone know if Paxman is a labour or conservative?
    He'll give the others a grilling too, don't you worry. ;)
  • Options
    I was abit impressed by Kennedy, he seemed to cope well
  • Options
    droid42 wrote:
    He's asking the questions that everyone else probably wants to hear answered. Kennedy's being a bit wishy-washy and vague imho...

Ian.

Paxman is doing a good job of demolishing Kennedy but it's not exactly over major issues is it? Whether 16 year olds should be able to visit sex shops; whether prisoners should have the vote - they're not exactly issues that make or break governments are they? Kennedy was a bit wishy-washy though...

All in all I think Paxman wasted the second fifteen minutes of the interview on trivial things rather than bigger matters - I'dve liked him to ask which party they'd prop up if there was a hung parliament or some clarification on their crime position like he did with the local income tax.
  • Options
    kevlar85 wrote:
    Paxman is doing a good job of demolishing Kennedy but it's not exactly over major issues is it? Whether 16 year olds should be able to visit sex shops; whether prisoners should have the vote - they're not exactly issues that make or break governments are they? Kennedy was a bit wishy-washy though...

He also focused on local income tax, congestion charging and the Iraq war a fair bit (and I'm sure lots of viewers have an emotional aversion to prisoners voting, whether it's important or not).

Ian.
  • Options
    droid42 wrote:
    He also focused on local income tax, congestion charging and the Iraq war a fair bit (and I'm sure lots of viewers have an emotional aversion to prisoners voting, whether it's important or not).

Ian.

True, but there were some trivial issues in there. I know Paxman is supposed to demolish for the sake of it but I would have thought that it would have made for a better programme to tackle him over more important things like the NHS, education etc. I'm not saying give Kennedy an easy ride but surely the purpose of the programme was to educate the voters on issues that matter to them, rather than just try and score points.
  • Options
    droid42 wrote:
    He also focused on local income tax

Focus bordering on obsession IMHO. Of course there would be losers in such a scheme, and I thought Kennedy made that point right at the start, but Paxman was like a ribid rottweiler.

Then when it came to an issue where he could have gone further, like Iraq, he seemed to go easy...
    I'm sure lots of viewers have an emotional aversion to prisoners voting

Of course they will, that's why it's not in the manifesto. IMHO it's nothing to do with Kennedy's claim that it isn't a priority...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Interviews with Paxman always turn into a confrontation though don't they. ;)

I think Paxman is pretty useless at interviewing - I still remember seeing his interview with Bill Gates - worst bit of interviewing I'e ever seen
  • Options
    I watched about 10 mins of it and then turned it off, Paxman has become a self parody, he doesnt actually allow the person to answer at all, I just found the whole thing really irritating.

Kennedy seemed to be putting up a decent ish defense and explaining himself relatively well.