Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MP flaming anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Definately not, if we go out of our way to be polite about it then they are far more likely to answer or try to answer the questions.

Any time ANY of us speaks out of turn, insults them or whatever they will just dismiss all of us as drop out teenagers.
  • Options
    Tongue in cheek anyone?

Anyway, I figured I'd say something, as most people here don't go into anything goes.
  • Options
    I know who Sarah Teather is but not the other two, i will have to do some research!
  • Options
    Would you care to inform us of basic background when you've done your research mr renzo?
  • Options
    They've all got an interest in young people in some way. Here you go:

Sarah Teather (youngest MP)
    http://www.brent.gov.uk/Democracy.nsf/0/8421227ef8b40e1880256da600431888?OpenDocument

Barry Sheerman (Chairman of the House of Commons Education and Skills Select Committee)
    http://www.barrysheerman.labour.co.uk/

Charles Hendry (the shadow MP for young people)
    http://www.charleshendry.com/default.asp
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I know who Sarah Teather is but not the other two, i will have to do some research!
    I like Sarah Teather, I think she's a genuine and honest person who hasn't been in parliament for long enough to have been corrupted.

I think MPs should be limited to 2 terms.
  • Options
    (Sorry for derailment) Welcome back Kentish! Been away until now or I've just missed your posts of late?
  • Options
    Although you do have the problem of the way the Uk system works - since government is formed by Lords or MPs you would mean no one, no matter how good, would be able to perform a ministeral role for longer than two terms - plus most jobs would only be open to people with limited experience in government.

Now if you split the executive from the legislature it's a different story.

Gah! sorry, I should stop wandering off topic
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I like Sarah Teather, I think she's a genuine and honest person who hasn't been in parliament for long enough to have been corrupted.

I think MPs should be limited to 2 terms.

But then some of the good ones would have to retire.

I agree though, all this having to win elections to even get to parliament and party rivalry leaves MPs withdrawn from the real world, politicised and obsessed with power.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    (Sorry for derailment) Welcome back Kentish! Been away until now or I've just missed your posts of late?
    Ta. Been at home for a couple of weeks w/o broadband. ;)
  • Options
    to be fair, there isn't really a topic people. I just wanted you to know we were getting some MPs in. Talking about the structure of government is fine
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    But then some of the good ones would have to retire.
    No, I actually believe that the ones who are there for a long time form the 'culture' of the old boys club. It's all a big gravy train, and I believe many of them have lost the plot when it comes to actually representing the people who voted them in.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    to be fair, there isn't really a topic people. I just wanted you to know we were getting some MPs in. Talking about the structure of government is fine

Thanks for your permission :p
  • Options
    I just didn't want you to feel guilty or owt.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No, I actually believe that the ones who are there for a long time form the 'culture' of the old boys club. It's all a big gravy train, and I believe many of them have lost the plot when it comes to actually representing the people who voted them in.

So you never think there are lessons and perspectives which can be taken from the past, keeping a level head and preventing us being swept away with the latest sensationalist crazes?

I thought my other point you didn't bother to quote was my more important.
  • Options
    Charles Kennedy has been in the Commons for 21 years, and he still seems fine by me. (Can you beleive he's been there since he was 23!)
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Although you do have the problem of the way the Uk system works - since government is formed by Lords or MPs you would mean no one, no matter how good, would be able to perform a ministeral role for longer than two terms - plus most jobs would only be open to people with limited experience in government.
    How many ministers are in for more than 2 terms anyway?

Fresh blood is never a bad thing imho.
    Now if you split the executive from the legislature it's a different story.
    Long words :nervous: :D
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    So you never think there are lessons and perspectives which can be taken from the past, keeping a level head and preventing us being swept away with the latest sensationalist crazes?
    No, I think that MPs who have been there for 20/30 years become stale.
    I thought my other point you didn't bother to quote was my more important.
    I agreed with it :p
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No, I think that MPs who have been there for 20/30 years become stale.

you vote for them therefore if you think theyve been in long enough you vote them out, simple as

anyway im going to try and put together some really good questions, especially for the tory and labour people :D
  • Options
    simple as
    Is it really?
    anyway im going to try and put together some really good questions, especially for the tory and labour people :D
    When should we expect you back?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is it really?

When should we expect you back?

no idea, its annoying how you forget all the great points you bring up in debates

so far ive thought of

TORIES:
    asking the thing about gypsies
    their plans for students that will leave poor student really badly off and well off family students doing alrite
    immigration obviously, but some actual decent questions

LABOUR:
    ID cards
    anti-terroism legislation
    since theyre education comitee, what will hapen with top up fees in the future, and the general misinofrmation involving them such as "i cant afford to pay that" when you pay after youre doen in wages for example
    ASBOs
    failure of tube PPP to get improvements done in time whilst the companies doing it making good profit out of doing nothing (probably the reason theyre making the money)

LIB DEMS:
    lack of coherant stances, and that they should be taking the highly cautious approach to anti-terroism legislation, as they back control orders etc etc
  • Options
    Why on earth is the debate happening in Anything goes?

Doesn't seem right to me...........
  • Options
    Because we want as many people as possible to take part, the age range in Politics is way beyond the target audience of the website and we want people who wouldn't normally be confident talking in this forum, or any politics debate, to have a chance to discuss what's bothering them.
  • Options
    Fair enough, we will see how it goes then.......

It was just that when people from this forum have attempted to 'reach a wider audience' on political matters by positng polls or asking political questions in Anything goes the thread is always moved to politics, surely if this occurs then the anything goes lot will not build up the confidence in the first place?

Also surely a very large number, perhaps even a majority of those in anything goes are not actually old enough to vote?
  • Options
    Yep, it's about this event getting wide exposure, political threads will
    still be moved into this forum

The age range is actually pretty solidly around 18
  • Options
    *bump* they're on everyone, head to anything goes.