Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My period makes me sick

For some reason, I felt rather sick this morning (and was actually sick) which was just after I'd come on. Is this normal?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Nausea is quite a common thing when I start. I quite often have severe pain and bad side effects though. I don't know if nausea is a common thing. I do remember that my old flatmate used to be sick every months with hers.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always feel REALLY sick! :(
    But not normally sick unless the pain is worse than normal!
    I dont get it all the time! used to get it alot more before my periods settled down.
    I think ginger or mint tea is good for sickness.
    Also see your nurse, if it gets REALLY bad then they might put u on the pill or something!
    hope u feel betta xx
  • Options
    lexijb wrote:
    I always feel REALLY sick! :(
    But not normally sick unless the pain is worse than normal!
    I dont get it all the time! used to get it alot more before my periods settled down.
    I think ginger or mint tea is good for sickness.
    Also see your nurse, if it gets REALLY bad then they might put u on the pill or something!
    hope u feel betta xx

It's happened once but I keep feeling really sick.
  • Options
    Wel try not to get too hot as that def wont help.
    Try not to eat heavy foods.
    Do a little bit of walking, outside if poss cos that can sometimes help, and generally fresh air does too.
    I always manage just to distract myself, but it is a horrible feeling i know!
    Hopefully its a one off and will just go away! :)
  • Options
    Not that unusual - I and a few mates get this too. Try the usual sickness aids - mints/ ginger/ lying down quiet for a while. If it is getting in the way of your day to day life and esp if your periods are heavy/ irregular/ uncomfortable make an appointment with your GP to discuss.

Susie x
  • Options
    Would taking the pill help not give me such painful period pains as well?
  • Options
    i feel sick as well i just try not to eat and keep cool so i dont get hot. The doctor can prescribe the pill for you to help with pains mine advised me about it.
  • Options
    My friend is sick a lot when she's on her period she went to the doctors and he gave her some tablets to take.
  • Options
    I have a feeling it's probably diffrent levels of hormones that make you feel sick when it's your period - which would also mean some months are worse than others because your hormone levels fluctuate. (Don't take my word for it, but that is what I think it is).
    Anyway yeah, having the pill might help (although when I started I felt quite sick then too... that settled down really quickly though).

Oh and this is just me being curious... a couple of you mentioned keeping cool or being hot... I'm always freezing during my period... is it normal to be hot? :confused:
  • Options
    Would taking the pill help not give me such painful period pains as well?
    No, but they'd be less frequent so you;d be able to get on with your life, instead of having it stop for 5 days every month, which is what happened to my sister. or you could get the coil, which basically stops your periods and has the added bonus of being a contaceptive!! :thumb:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    Oh and this is just me being curious... a couple of you mentioned keeping cool or being hot... I'm always freezing during my period... is it normal to be hot? :confused:

I seem to sweat during my period, but I have a slight problem controlling my body temperature anyway.