Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

food products from battery hen should be illegal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
all in the title, discuss

Comments

• Options
    Battery farming should be illegal.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm more concerned with the drugs the chickens are pumped fuill of than the conditions they are kept in...
  • Options
    both need reform, the whole system of food production is deplorable.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm more concerned with the drugs the chickens are pumped fuill of than the conditions they are kept in...

supply and demand, i think the easiest thing to do would be to educate people en masse, i know that sounds really hard, but its the only thing worth doing, as if people still buy, then chickens still die
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    supply and demand, i think the easiest thing to do would be to educate people en masse, i know that sounds really hard, but its the only thing worth doing, as if people still buy, then chickens still die

I've not looked in on the Tesco thread for a while, but until consumers and retailers stop demanding the cheapest price (regardless of the "cost" of production) then IMO not much will happen other than the use of medication etc.
  • Options
    An overhaul of the entire food industry is long overdue IMO.

On the one hand we should stamp on dodgy farming practices such as the widespread use of antibiotics on poultry or the feeding of utter shit to cows. We have a biological timebomb in our hands if we don't stop now.

On the other hand we have to ensure that no farmer is tempted to do the above. We must ensure supermarkets, which again must shoulder a lot of the blame here, pay farmers decent prices for their produce. It's no surprise many farmers go for mass battery chicken farming if all they get is 3p per bird.

Personally I'd ban battery chickens for sure. In fact I'd introduce a programme to ensure all eggs eventually sold in this country are free range.
  • Options
    It is both consumers and the CAP fueling this, yes it would be great if farmers could keep a half dozen chickens in a lovely house where they all had names, but the current way of working doesnt allow for this.

Production lead subsidies encourage mass production, not quality or enviromental concerns.

Flat payments to farmers regardless of production and education of consumers would do a lot.
  • Options
    I try and buy "barn eggs" as such but my budget is limited. Also im not entirly sure what the definition of barn chicken really is, still dosent sound to good. I know they give all chickens a chemical to make the yolk yellower!

Bopz
  • Options
    Basically insted of being shoved into a cage, hundreds of them are shoved into a barn. Its a slight improvement.
  • Options
    If you want cheap food then you get battery chickens pumped with chemicals.

Me, I pay twice the price for organically-reared free range chickens, sometimes from a local farm, sometimes from Waitrose.

You pays your money, you take your choice - simple really! Ain't rocket science!!

Same applies to many other products, trouble is people buy food on price and appearance (which can be deceptive!)
  • Options
    both need reform, the whole system of food production is deplorable.
    Precisely. I don't eat meat because I despise the meat industry. I am not vegan - for health reasons largely although I also don't think I could pull it off! - and I do eat eggs but only free range and if I'm feeling rich I'll try to buy organic but tbh I have to shop at supermarkets for the most part so it's not exactly "organic" once it's been shipped half way across the frickin' country in vans...
  • Options
    The trouble with this country is that we've been brought up to expect "cheap food" and most supermarkets pander to this. Quality is almost pushed to one side. Procesed food now makes up a large part of our diet but who really knows what goes into it?

We've got to face up to the facts that if we want decent food we've got to pay more for it. We've got to get away from this "cheap" approach to food shopping.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The trouble with this country is that we've been brought up to expect "cheap food" and most supermarkets pander to this. Quality is almost pushed to one side. Procesed food now makes up a large part of our diet but who really knows what goes into it?

We've got to face up to the facts that if we want decent food we've got to pay more for it. We've got to get away from this "cheap" approach to food shopping.
    That's all very well and good but some of us just can't afford to.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    That's all very well and good but some of us just can't afford to.
    I agree thats the dilema. But I think supermarkets need to be far more honest with us about where their products come from and what they contain, theres still a lot of misinformation out there especially when it comes to labelling.
  • Options
    I usually try and go for free range and organic products, as does my mother and fair trade when we can. Battery farming is nasty aye... I could link this thread to a KFC site I found a while ago about the process but it's too upsetting imo.

'Pure' food is indeed expensive and whilst brushing aside the hormones shoved in to the animals think of the damaging preservatives and E numbers.
  • Options
    the antibiotics that they have been pumping into battery farmed chickens has made many of us resisant to human antibiotics and much more immumune to illness. Battery hens not only live in vast amounts of pain, fixed in their own filth by their cages, but Chickens which grow in that situation are constantly stressed animals-stressed meat doesn't taste as good. Plus it inhumain, fowl--haha (sorry), and unethical.

Ok, ex-veggie and someone who been to many a animal rights protest, but its illegal for a cat or a dog to live in these conditions...why isn't it for Chickens?
  • Options
    We're much more immune to illness because of battery farming? That's a bad thing how?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    We're much more immune to illness because of battery farming? That's a bad thing how?

i think lubys saying, that antibiotics have made bacteria more resistant to us and thus more of us who are less resistant have died, thus elaving us mroe resistant ;)
  • Options
    Again, how is that a bad thing?
  • Options
    'elaving us mroe resistant' is bad, mmmkay?
  • Options
    I r picking at bad grammar. They, as far as I can tell, have said the same thing twice, and it is a wrong thing.

Us being resistant to disease is not a bad thing. Various bacteria being resistant to anti-biotics is, and that is NOT what they have said.
  • Options
    sorry, very long day yesterday didn't relise huge mistake.

it's make us less immune to illness, and can make antibiotics much less effective...

thats what i ment to say