Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question Time Comments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The BBC always ignore me BUT we can all be heard here.

BBC1 now, current question - Is Alan Milburn's apology for the death of a policeman by a failed asylum seeker too little, too late?

Thoughts on what the panel are saying and your own perspectives?

Comments

• Options
    Nope. Not like he stuck the knife in himself, is it?

Has any UK Govt politician apologised for the hundreds killed by the IRA...?
  • Options

All I gleamed from this one was a stronger sense of dislike for Ruth Kelly.
  • Options
    New question - every time a manifesto is unveiled, it is attacked by opposing parties saying the numbers don't add up. Who do we believe?
  • Options

But given Blair's propensity for apologising it can't be long before he apologises to the IRA.

This case can't see why it needs a Minister to apologise. It seems the police were pretty slack. If you're raiding a building containing terrorist sympathisers you don't let them stand there uncuffed or take off your body armour because its hot.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    New question - every time a manifesto is unveiled, it is attacked by opposing parties saying the numbers don't add up. Who do we believe?

On this one I'm inclined to think they're all garbage. Hey, Baddiel's making my point! Parties in opposition can make whatever promises they like, they don't have to be costed, they'll likely never be tested, the government therefore has to overegg what it can do in order to not be seen as underachievers.
  • Options
    Personally I'd rather they just focussed on their own policies. I can make my own mind up what the other parties are saying...

But then, that would mean they would each have to offer hope, whilst at least one only seems to want to work on fears...
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    All I gleamed from this one was a stronger sense of dislike for Ruth Kelly.

Sorry, what I meant was why should a member of the Govt have to apologise at all. They didn't kill the policeman.
  • Options
    Sorry, what I meant was why should a member of the Govt have to apologise at all. They didn't kill the policeman.

Not from your comment :D

From watching the programme myself. My plan's to work in education. She started by disappointing me as an Education Secretary, she's not improved, infact every time I see or hear her she goes down in my estimations.

Also, she sounds like a bloke.
  • Options
    whilst at least one only seems to want to work on fears...

One? Which one's that?
  • Options
    New question - is MG Rover worth saving?

For me, the answer's no, it's not the public's job to support a failing business. I will however be boycotting BMW, who have behaved as dispicable corporate vultures taking all that's worth anything cheaply and having stripped the assets thrown the rest away.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Who do we believe?
    None of them.

A manifesto will give you an idea of the general policies of the party, but ignore the specifics. They will go back on promises if it suits them later. Look at tuition fees.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    New question - is MG Rover worth saving?
    Interesting, all this talk about honouring warranties. If the company is worth saving, few cars should need to make use of the warranty. The fact that MGRover won't honour warranties sold with cars just goes to show that the company and its administrators have no faith in the product or the workforce.
    For me, the answer's no, it's not the public's job to support a failing business. I will however be boycotting BMW, who have behaved as dispicable corporate vultures taking all that's worth anything cheaply and having stripped the assets thrown the rest away.
    Welcome to the business world. "Stripping the assets" is just a nastier way of saying that they have saved parts of the company which were viable.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Also, she sounds like a bloke.
    Good argument. :yeees:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Welcome to the business world. "Stripping the assets" is just a nastier way of saying that they have saved parts of the company which were viable.

Yeah, I get that, but they didn't see the workforce as an asset and are happy to drop them. BMW will profit whilst the people and suppliers to the business go poor.

It's a lack of compassion or business ethics.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    business ethics.
    An oxymoron, presumably?