Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Abnormal smear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there have been a couple of topics on the subject before but I couldn’t find what I was looking for

I went for a follow up smear today (the one 6months later) because I had an abnormal smear result at my last one.

I found a thread about someone that had to have laser treatment because she ad pre cancerous cells but I'm sure that they only found slight abnormalities on mine. (I never received a letter (they probably sent one but my post is really awful because there are so many houses converted into flats in the street so it always ends up at someone else’s house) so after about 8 weeks I rang my docs and they said I had slight abnormalities and to make another appointment in 6 months - this was off the receptionist, I asked could I be put through to a doctor or book an appointment but was told that there was no need - I know I should have insisted but at the time I thought that I would rather not know) So really I know nothing about what the results mint.

Today I asked the nurse about what would happen if my results came back abnormal again and all she would say was "well we will cross that bridge when we come to it" well other than being really useful its got me thinking that either it will involve an awful procedure or will mean something awful.

So to anyone that has had slight abnormalities on a smear could you please tell me anything really I’m getting really worked up over it now

Thanks

Mel-H

Comments

• Options
    anyone??? or anyone that knows anything about it
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My ex-flatmate had abnormalities on a smear test. They told her not to worry about it but she will be having smear tests every 6 months rather than what it normally is just to check up on her. They told her that she has a slightly higher risk of things like cancer (I don't know how they determine that ... ) and other cervical problems.

I wouldn't worry unless you are told a reason to worry.
  • Options
    pm'd u
  • Options
    I had exactly the same problem! I went back twice in 12 months for a test because they found 'abnormalities', and the last time I went they found that everything was normal :)

I asked my nurse the same question i.e. what did 'abnormal' mean, and she said that they had found my cells were inflamed, but because it normally heals upon itself there was no need to be worried. She just made an appointment for me in 6 months time, just to make sure that everything was fine and hadn't infected another part!

She also told me that if it was serious they would have sent me for further tests there and then, so I wouldn't worry if I was you.

I found this website useful - which explains the 'smear test' process:

http://www.medinfo.co.uk/tests/smear.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone, you have put my mind to rest a bit
  • Options
    My mate's came back abnormal, turned out she had a stomach ulcer which was fixed with a fairly routine procedure.

But unless you're on the razz every night eating curries and chineses like her I wouldn't worry. :thumb:
  • Options
    My mate's came back abnormal, turned out she had a stomach ulcer which was fixed with a fairly routine procedure.

But unless you're on the razz every night eating curries and chineses like her I wouldn't worry. :thumb:
    :confused:

How did they find that out from a cervical smear?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :confused:

How did they find that out from a cervical smear?

might have been their first day on the job
  • Options
    ultrablue wrote:
    might have been their first day on the job
    :lol:
  • Options
    Yes just realised myself that makes no sense at all... :impissed:

She's a medical receptionist so I just took her word for it that she knew what she was talking about. Thank God she's not a nurse, and I'm not a registered therapist. :nervous: