Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hunter S.Thompson

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/march2005/020305thompsonwarned.htm

Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: "They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think . . ."

Hunter S. Thompson ... was indeed working on such a story.

Now check out this February 25 Associated Press story about Thompson's death. Sounds a lot like a professional hit with a silencer:

"I was on the phone with him, he set the receiver down and he did it. I heard the clicking of the gun," Anita Thompson told the Aspen Daily News in Friday's editions.

She said her husband had asked her to come home from a health club so they could work on his weekly ESPN column...

Thompson said she heard a loud, muffled noise, but didn't know what had happened. "I was waiting for him to get back on the phone," she said.

(Her account to Rocky Mountain News reporter Jeff Kass is slightly different: "I did not hear any bang," she told Kass. She added that Thompson's son, who was in the house at the time, believed that a book had fallen when he heard the shot, according to Kass' report.)

Mack White sums up the questions well:
Thompson's family says he was not depressed, nor was he in enough to pain to kill himself. In fact, by all reports, he was quite happy. He was talking on the phone to his wife, getting ready to work on his column, when he decided it would be wise to kill himself, so that he could go out (we are told) while "still at the top of his form," even though this would mean not finishing his column or his expose on 9/11 (potentially the most important thing he would ever write) (?)...

RELATED: Hunter S. Thompson Suicide Story Changes

This account says Thompson killed himself while sitting in a chair on his typewriter and yet the original account tells us that Thompson shot himself while talking to his wife on the phone in the kitchen. Why has the story changed andwhat is the significance of the word typed on the paper in light of the fact that Thompson said he would be 'suicided' before being able to release a major story on explosives bringing down the twin towers?

Americans scaring the people into believing their under attack from terrorists..uncovering the truth...so he was shot and made look like suicide. I don't think he'd kill himself while working on the publication of his new book.

Comments

• Options
    Well there is one flaw there for a start, Hunter did have a type writer in his kitchen which he would use, so those reports dont have to be different, just describing the situation differently.

And who is this person he is supposed to have called?

To me it sounds very much like someone wanting to use the event in an attempt to 'prove' that the 11th of September attacks were fake.
  • Options
    I don't know who the person was or even if there was any person.
  • Options
    To be frank there will always be questions over September 11th, maybe there was explosives in the tower, maybe there wasnt, I know I watched those two planes hit live.

Saying the government did it doesnt add anything, it doesnt get you anywhere at all.

Though having said that I do know that Hunter realised that September the 11th was a useful event for people in power, his September the 12th article is one of his best works.
  • Options
    Too bad we won't be seeing any more of his work.
  • Options
    Well they have said they will release his papers and the bits a bobs he hasnt had published.

I also am looking forward to hopefully another collection of his letters, both of them so far were amazing reading.
  • Options
    Interesting to see them then.
  • Options
    I'm hoping they release Prince Jellyfish, its a novel he worked on and off on for ages.
  • Options
    What's it about?
  • Options
    I'm not really sure, he makes several references to it in letters, talking about working on it, but its never been released because he couldnt really get the right publishing deal or he was working on other things.
  • Options
    apparently he wrote councellor on his typewriter before he shot himself...whatever that means...deliberate ambiguity...i like it... :D
  • Options
    Yep, that was it, that one word in the middle of the page.
  • Options
    i must admit the man was a fucking genius...one of the few authors where you actually enjoyed reading every single word on every single page...
  • Options
    Indeed, the world is a sadder place for loosing him. He was unique, in his words 'too wierd to live, too unique to die'.
  • Options
    I have only read Fear and Loathing, Rum diary and Hells Angels (local bookstore had them all on clearance the same week...) but i agree....sadly missed, the man was a twisted genius.

Peace
  • Options
    Hell Angels is probably his best full piece of 'gozo journalism' though The Great Shark Hunt has the first piece which really recieved that title, its his report from the Kentucky Derby with Ralph Stedman, amazing.