Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Michael Howard in parliament today

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does he have a secret hankering to be a music hall performer I wonder. What was all the call-and-response stuff about? It was like Ally McBeal.

Comments

• Options
    I think it's called a debate.
  • Options
    I think it's tabloid television. Where's Buffy when you need her?
  • Options
    Great performance by the Tories!!! Lets get Labour truly rattled.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Are you the forum's self elected jester?
  • Options
    The BBC's man on 'PM' seemed to think Howard had a good day. It doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things, but let's try to keep a sense of perspective...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Is that the best you can hope for at the election Tory Boy?

Setting your aspirations a little on the low side aren't you?
  • Options
    "Taxes - up! Crime - up! Immigration - up! Waiting times - up! MRSA - up! Take home pay - down! Pensions - down! Productivity growth - down! Manufacturing employment - down!"

When I watched it, I must admit I laughed. But I think this tactic worked better than normal. PMQs is normally boring as fuck, so this was welcome. Purely theatrical, but a nice change.
  • Options
    erm it was funny when john prescott took PMQ's, well infact it was rather hilarious
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    erm it was funny when john prescott took PMQ's, well infact it was rather hilarious
    Definitely. The only people who weren't laughing where those poor people at Hansard, who actually have to log down everything he says. I feel so sorry for them!
  • Options
    I think it's called a debate.

It's called pantomine and it devalues the political process. If ever someone wanted to turn you off politics then they would just have to play that little exchange. It was, at best, pathetic.
  • Options
    It's called pantomine and it devalues the political process. If ever someone wanted to turn you off politics then they would just have to play that little exchange. It was, at best, pathetic.

Some one is paying to much attention to the carefully selected idiots they see on question time.

It has allways been like that in the house of Commons .
    I think this way of debating has worked fairly well so far, why change it?
  • Options
    Well, yes, but isn't PMQs pathetic in general, that sort of yaa-boo politics, as it's called? Michael asks a question, Tony doesn't answer it. Michael asks it again, Tony fails to answer again. That's something else I'd call pathetic about it.
  • Options
    It has allways been like that in the house of Commons .
    I think this way of debating has worked fairly well so far, why change it?
    Newsround is your source? :lol:
  • Options
    I was patronising him.
  • Options
    I was patronising him.

You were patronising yourself really. Especially when you called it a debate.

Personally I think we are worth more than that, I think the country as a whole deserved more than that. These are serious issues and should be addressed as such. Or at least with some respect.

And I know that PMQ is always like that, although not always as bad. If you think that is good politics, or even a debate, then I pity you.
  • Options
    It made me quite angry actually, mainly because he's a lying fucker.

Certain crimes are up, but on the whole crime has drasticlly fallen since Labour came to power.

And to suggest waiting times are up? Please, even Mail readers dont really believe that anymore.
  • Options
    Which is kind of the point, it was more about getting headlines than addressing real issues.
  • Options
    Which is kind of the point, it was more about getting headlines than addressing real issues.

and some things like mrsa thats the trusts fault for not implementing good hygiene practice to staff like washing hands inbetween contac
  • Options
    Howard was right to shine the spotlight on Labours' failures. OK its pure theatre at PMQT but nevertheless it rallied the troops and hopefully we'll see a hug surprise at the election with the Tories back in power where they belong.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Howard was right to shine the spotlight on Labours' failures. OK its pure theatre at PMQT but nevertheless it rallied the troops and hopefully we'll see a hug surprise at the election with the Tories back in power where they belong.
    Could be... just looked out of the window and saw a 20-strong pig squadron flying in formation.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Could be... just looked out of the window and saw a 20-strong pig squadron flying in formation.

:shocking:

im going on a ski trip to hell you know, looks like snow this year

honestly though the tory party still is completly unelectable, their plans for students alone are stupid
  • Options
    Are they really that unelectable though, all the polls put them pretty close to Labour, they may not win, but this is going to be closer than people thought a few months ago.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Are they really that unelectable though, all the polls put them pretty close to Labour, they may not win, but this is going to be closer than people thought a few months ago.

i care sod all about polls, their poll ratings have been the same for the past 4yrs or so now, what i worry most about is their policy, its not even sound right wing policy, which i may adisagree but can see working i nthe way they want it to, their policy is almost as good in quality as the lib dems usually is, and that says it all

i honestly do dread what would happen if they got in, getting in on scaremongering is always a bad thing

i do want to see labour majority fall to near 0, with the main seats going being the ones who always go with the party whips and i want there to be more lib dems as well as more tories, so least we'd some more coherant policy
  • Options
    You never know what might happen! I believe in miracles, well I would wouldn't I.

Suppose MGRover go down the tubes before the election, that'll cause a few problems for Labour in the Midland marginal seats!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Howard was right to shine the spotlight on Labours' failures.

Some of which weren't true. I personally liked the "waiting lists - up" comment. Because no-one (apart from the Tories) believe that lie. I know that the King's Fund disagree with him...

I also like his "hospital infections - up" line too. It's true, I'll give him that. Of course, that we didn't even test for these infections in 1996 appears to be irrelevant to Howard.