Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

something ive been wanting changed for years is happening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4412731.stm

some kids arent guranted to fail gcse maths as the foundation tier will go up to a C grade from a D grade

btw the maths gcse is the only gcse to have 3 tiers, higher A*-C, intermediate B-E, and foundation G-D whilst every other subject has A*-C higher and foundation which goes up to a C or B depending on subject

Comments

• Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4412731.stm

some kids arent guranted to fail gcse maths as the foundation tier will go up to a C grade from a D grade

btw the maths gcse is the only gcse to have 3 tiers, higher A*-C, intermediate B-E, and foundation G-D whilst every other subject has A*-C higher and foundation which goes up to a C or B depending on subject
    That's really good, it always sucked that the top of foundation tier was (although technically a pass) a level that most people don't recognise. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Another example of "dumbing down"! So inspiring people is more important than raising and maintaining educational standards, no wonder this country is turning into a nation of burger flippers!
  • Options
    Great news, at least those not so good at maths can get a pass now without having to do all that trigonomentry shite.

Rich kid, some of the things you say i think you just want people to have a go at you.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Another example of "dumbing down"! So inspiring people is more important than raising and maintaining educational standards, no wonder this country is turning into a nation of burger flippers!

no it isnt, before it meant peopel were destined to fail even if they got 100% just because of how they were allocated exams, happened to my friends, once they knew they wrere put in for foundation they stopped trying as well they were gonna get a useless grade guranteed

me however i done higher and got an A which i actually deserved cause i didnt work hard enough :(
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Rich kid, some of the things you say i think you just want people to have a go at you.
    No. I just object to reducing our educational standards so that NO-ONE fails! Its crazy, we should be heading in the other direction making academic qualifications harder but also offering more & better vocational/trade training. Even degrees nowadays are down-valued. Employers look very closely at the actual degree and from which uni its been obtained, and I don't blame them, half of all graduates are simply not well enough equipped for todays work-place.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No. I just object to reducing our educational standards so that NO-ONE fails! Its crazy, we should be heading in the other direction making academic qualifications harder but also offering more & better vocational/trade training. Even degrees nowadays are down-valued. Employers look very closely at the actual degree and from which uni its been obtained, and I don't blame them, half of all graduates are simply not well enough equipped for todays work-place.

most people find maths a very hard subject...i tried my ass off and got a C...very happy with that...would it not be better for a students mind and psyche if he triewd hard and got what he deserved instead of trying hard and still failing...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    would it not be better for a students mind and psyche if he triewd hard and got what he deserved instead of trying hard and still failing...
    If standards are set properly he will get what he deserves but there is no need to make the pass mark so low & easy that everyone passes! Why bother in the first place having standards!

Some people are academic, some are not. We seem in this country to be obsessed with academic qualifications and ignore the equally valuable vocational qualifications. Other countries have a better balance and it works well for them.
  • Options
    Rich kid, it's not about making it easier... it's about changing the system in which it works: rather than having a foundation which is u - d, it will be u - c, so those who do foundation and do well on it (there will be harder questions on it as well) will get a C - a more recognised and valuable grade. Anything outside the A* to C boundary is useless really...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Someones not good at maths at gcse level so we don't let them get a job...most places want gcse maths passed so if the government try to help people pass their maths by reducing the pass mark then so be it. In my maths gcse i got a grade C...didn't work really for it...could have done better..but passed it and got it out of the road.
    The pass mark for a grade C is very low anyway in a higher grade paper, it was around 20-27% for a pass mark whenever i done it, maybe even lower.
  • Options
    Other countries have a better balance and it works well for them.

Where?
    Some people are academic, some are not.

Some people are good at maths, some not. Some people are good at history, some not. What's your point?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

no peopel can fail, but it means peopel get an oppurtnity to pass, if u werent given a chance to even pass it, would u even try, i wouldnt, a D at maths isnt worth the paper its printed on and that if u get like 100% as well
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Someones not good at maths at gcse level so we don't let them get a job...most places want gcse maths passed so if the government try to help people pass their maths by reducing the pass mark then so be it. In my maths gcse i got a grade C...didn't work really for it...could have done better..but passed it and got it out of the road.
    The pass mark for a grade C is very low anyway in a higher grade paper, it was around 20-27% for a pass mark whenever i done it, maybe even lower.

getting 27% on a higher paper can be hard for some people you know.... only top sets are put in for higher paper and some from middle classes as well, thats it, thats why its the higher paper........
  • Options
    getting 27% on a higher paper can be hard for some people you know.... only top sets are put in for higher paper and some from middle classes as well, thats it, thats why its the higher paper........

I know that.....that's why it's better what they'r doing now.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No. I just object to reducing our educational standards so that NO-ONE fails!

Can you read? They'll still fail if they don't work. But if they do work the can actually pass. As opposed to failing whatever they do.
  • Options
    Maths was a load of shite anyway.
  • Options
    me however i done higher and got an A which i actually deserved cause i didnt work hard enough :(

Do you mean you didn't deserve it because you don't think you did enough work, or you only deserved an A rather than an A* because you didn't work hard enough? :confused:

I'm really glad about the change in the system too, although when I was at school I found that the people who did intermediate got Bs (the highest grade they could get) far more easily than people who did the higher paper got Cs. This makes sense when I say it in my head, sorry if it hasn't come out very well, it's late
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I'm really glad about the change in the system too, although when I was at school I found that the people who did intermediate got Bs (the highest grade they could get) far more easily than people who did the higher paper got Cs. This makes sense when I say it in my head, sorry if it hasn't come out very well, it's late

Yeah I found that too. In fact it was a logic that i picked up after doing so many practice papers, I was put in higher but asked to be moved to intermediate where i knew my B was guaranteed...cheeky i know.
  • Options
    Yeah I found that too. In fact it was a logic that i picked up after doing so many practice papers, I was put in higher but asked to be moved to intermediate where i knew my B was guaranteed...cheeky i know.

yeh if you werent predicted an A and they thoought u wuld work they put u in for an inermediate cause though you need a far higher % to get a B owning to the nature of the exam ie intermediate, you find the easiest questions (1st ones) easier
  • Options

Eeesh. Very cheeky! :p

The 'hard' questions on the intermediate paper were the 'easy' questions on the higher paper the year I took the exam. I'm not really complaining, I got an A doing higher and my mother will tell you I honestly can't even add up, it's pathetic, so GCSE maths isn't really an adequate indicator of mathematical skill, more the ability to apply forumlae etc.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Where?
    Germany

Some people are good at maths, some not. Some people are good at history, some not. What's your point?
    The point I'm making my friend in the contaxt of this discussion, is that we as a nation are obsessed with academic qualifications and will continually tamper with them to maximise "success".
    There seems to be some kind of "snob" factor about having an academic qualification over a vocational one, this thinking has got to be eradicated.
    There are many good & able people out there that would much prefer to have a vocational qualification, a skill, that modern business desperately needs. There are far too many people wandering around clutching their Arts degrees in whatever wondering why they can't get a job. I'll tell you why, its because they haven't aligned their qualifications to what industry & commerce want.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Germany

The point I'm making my friend in the contaxt of this discussion, is that we as a nation are obsessed with academic qualifications and will continually tamper with them to maximise "success".
    There seems to be some kind of "snob" factor about having an academic qualification over a vocational one, this thinking has got to be eradicated.
    There are many good & able people out there that would much prefer to have a vocational qualification, a skill, that modern business desperately needs. There are far too many people wandering around clutching their Arts degrees in whatever wondering why they can't get a job. I'll tell you why, its because they haven't aligned their qualifications to what industry & commerce want.

i understand your complaint however this isnt part of it, as many pupils are destined to fail before theyre even tested, and not cause theyve not done work, but cause the school has to set foundation papers to some students which durantee them a fail, unlike in every other gcse which has had a maximum of a C for like 10 years now

my friends done their work when at school, ableit not so well,and when they got put in for foundation they stopped trying cause well its completly useless as youre gonna fail anyway, at least with the oppurtunity to get a C even if it needs like 80% as those papers tend to have
  • Options
    Everyone should take the same exam. Those who work hard will get a good grade. Those who dont will fail and get the grade they deserve.
  • Options
    Everyone should take the same exam. Those who work hard will get a good grade. Those who dont will fail and get the grade they deserve.

for once you say something alright lol, but it means the individual exams can be shorter, and take less time to do, like if you cant get a C in higher paper, you fail full on with a Ungraded

i suppose its there cause well then the clever students dont have to the super easy questions, and the kids wont have to attempt the super hard ones which theyd probably be unable to do if they were only predicted a C or D

not everyone gets As as the newspapers make out, 40% leave without passes in all of maths english and science