Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

largest CD/R format?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what isthe largest cd format, i know there is an 80min 700meg cd, but is there a 90minute? i have alot of movies i want to put onto VCD format but alot of them are like 83min and wont fit,

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    what isthe largest cd format, i know there is an 80min 700meg cd, but is there a 90minute? i have alot of movies i want to put onto VCD format but alot of them are like 83min and wont fit,

any ideas?

That is the largest. If you want to put them on VCD you will have to find a program to split it in two or convert it to DVD.
  • Options
    actually you can get 99min/900mb cds, but your writer has to support overburning, and it's not a sure thing......
  • Options
    its not writers which support over burning, its software which will allow it as well
  • Options
    Does anyone know of any programs I can use to split either OGM files or AVI files?
  • Options
    not sure what you mean.......yes it is down to writers, if your writer doesnt support it you have to go out and buy a new one, whereas you can just d/l a firmware update so its not the crucial factor.......and anyone with nero can overburn so software as such is irrelevant......
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    CLICK-CLICK

Honestly... HOW many times have I sent you to EBuyer now? Eh?
  • Options
    Bonus.. thanks will

Also.. £15 tomorrow for you, or i should have it, the £5 i owe you and the money for the USB POWERED HUB can you order one please?
  • Options
    Make sure your cd burner will support overburning the discs before you buy them.

Most should, but still.
  • Options
    how do i find out?
  • Options
    nero has some sort of cd drive info thing
  • Options
    Overburning is the answer. You'll need writer, disks, and software that can do it. The overburning works because there's a little more writable space on a CD-R than 80 mins. But the writer must be able to burn that bit further onto that extra space.
    There are warnings out there about possible damage to the writer, so you do it at your own risk, but it seems a low risk.

Just a thought, but why not use a DVD-R? The disks hardly cost any more than CD-R if you buy them in bulk, and the writers are as little as £40 now.
  • Options
    because a lot of older drives wont read the discs when you burn them
  • Options
    I only know about the 90min ones but they are not very common because they are unreliable if burned over 80mins.
    Not sure if thats true or not but im sure google will know.