Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What books have left an impact on you and your life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone read any books that has totally left them thinking and making them look at their llife and making them think that they should change or shouldn't take things for granted or something?

I read this book called "no dress rehearsal" by Marian Keynes and it was about a person who died and never realised it then when she did she totally regreting not doing certiain things in her life. Made me thing that I should live life to the full because you never know when it could end.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The book that has most impact on me at the minute is The Time-Traveller's Wife. It was an excellent book on love, and the ending made me cry, both with sadness at death and happiness at loyalty.

The other books that ahve left an impression on me include The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules and The Lovely Bones, all for similar reasons. They all made me appreciate how lucky I am, and how much I have. The perspective they give is what makes them sad.
  • Options
    The most impact on me was from The Dice Man. Since reading the book I live my entire life by the throw of dice.
  • Options
    If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable THings by John McGregor. Could rave about it for weeks but I won't. It's about noticing the little, magical aspects of life that usually float by unnoticed.
  • Options
    to be a hip teen i must say the perks of being a wallflower really got me thinking
    also this book called speak where the girl becomes a mute very good
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The book that has most impact on me at the minute is The Time-Traveller's Wife. It was an excellent book on love, and the ending made me cry, both with sadness at death and happiness at loyalty.

The other books that ahve left an impression on me include The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules and The Lovely Bones, all for similar reasons. They all made me appreciate how lucky I am, and how much I have. The perspective they give is what makes them sad.

Irvine fan then? a prayer for owen meaney has the same desired effect i think also

eh don't think a book has made an total impact on my life but some books, particularly plays has helped me understand things a bit more...stuff like death of a salesman, helps understand society and how we behave in it etc etc...
  • Options
    Earlier today I started reading "Enduring Love" by Ian McEwan. I have only read half of it so far, but it seems really moving and stuff. Its about how experiencing one thing/event etc. can bind two people. I recommend it, well what I have read so far.
  • Options
    Earlier today I started reading "Enduring Love" by Ian McEwan. I have only read half of it so far, but it seems really moving and stuff. Its about how experiencing one thing/event etc. can bind two people. I recommend it, well what I have read so far.

read the child in time...some interesting stuff there concerning perception of time and has a sad story bout a man's daughter being kidnapped...mc ewan is alright...though he's the type of novelist that when you read his books you know he's planned it out and the ending is so predictable...i like writers who start books that could have any ending, spontaneous or whatnot...
  • Options
    Demian by Hermann Hesse is the book which I call my bible. It is absolutely amazing. And I could relate to it so badly when I read it the first time. Everytime I re-read it, it brings new revelations and new findings. I absolutely love it.
  • Options
    I read an autobiography once of some obscure person, but that changed my life. Can't even remember what it was called. This man was a nature freak, always lived in the outdoors, etc. Made me look around me and see nature as the most beautiful thing in society. That, along with other things through my life. I am now a firm beleiver in the philosiphy that nature is perfect and deviations from whats natural are corruptions of nature and will be erased eventually.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Demian by Hermann Hesse is the book which I call my bible. It is absolutely amazing. And I could relate to it so badly when I read it the first time. Everytime I re-read it, it brings new revelations and new findings. I absolutely love it.
    I've read it... Didn't really understand its meaning, especially the ending.

For me, it has to be "Sophie's world". My second favourite book. It was the main reason I became a "philosopher wannabe". Not sure how good I'm doing at removing the "wannabe" part...
  • Options
    despite not liking him now, dave pelzer changed my attitude to problems and set backs. He also made me able to handle a tricky break up a while back so I guess in a shallow way he is my response to the question.

Recently more books are having a more profound affect on me-because I;m reading a wider range of books I guess
  • Options
    I think Elizabeth Wurtzel's books have had an impact. Prozac Nation helped me through things as much as it sent my mood through the floor, and More, Again, Now was poignant for me because it was read at the time I was realising that being so depressed was stupid.
  • Options
    the pianist.

it upset me, and it horrified me, and it humbled me. and every so often, in the more horrid parts, i'd get a little voice reminding me that it all actually happened.

i'm glad i read it though.
  • Options
    Largely because of the time I first read it, Jeanette Winterson's Oranges are not the Only Fruit really touched me and made an impact.

Also, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is still one of my favourite books of all time, it really brought home to me the sheer ugliness of human prejudice. Although I've read more harrowing accounts of human brutality since, Birdsong and A Child Called 'It' amongst others, that was the first and it really hurt.
  • Options
    The Age of Reason by Sartre
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Hammer of Eden - Very saddening book at the ending. Left a big impression on me really. :(

To Kill The Potemkin - Another sad endin, very good book.

When The Wind Blows - A very interesting story indeed.

Citadel - Once oyu get past the swearing, its a bloody good read.

I read alot of Clin Forbe's books too. He's a great authoer, IMO.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    The Age of Reason by Sartre

i suppose your into your existentialism and all...i've been fasinated by it since i read about it...takes a while to understand the philosophy as a whole but it's intruiging stuff...how the fucj did they know so much about humans and our behaviour...