Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

university debating societies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
are well annoying actually

all career politicians and wannabe journalist from the amount of soundbites and slagging off

i joined my unions conservative society even if i hate the party as theyve got loads of rather well known people like john major, oliver letwin etc this year doing speeches and taking questions!

i just hate career politicians as a whole

Comments

• Options
    It's not the union societies fault that people use them as CV enhancements.

It's the same with any sabbatical position, it becomes politicised. It's why I have never yet voted on a union sabbatical position, because they're all smug cunts.

But what other sort of politician are you going to get, other than a "career" one?
  • Options
    i joined my unions conservative society even if [even though?] i hate the party as theyve got loads of rather well known people like john major, oliver letwin etc this year doing speeches and taking questions!
    Couldn't you attend the talks by Major, Letwin and so on without joining the Conservative Society? I bet you could.
  • Options
    Often not. the societies close the doors in order to make you join, or the one-off price is high enough to be worth joining if you're going to go to more than about 3 talks.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not the union societies fault that people use them as CV enhancements.

It's the same with any sabbatical position, it becomes politicised. It's why I have never yet voted on a union sabbatical position, because they're all smug cunts.

But what other sort of politician are you going to get, other than a "career" one?

my uni has a repoen nominations option so when i see one candidate i tick that and void the rest ;)
  • Options
    All STV elections ahve a RON option.

I only ever bothered voting for college elections, as it directly affected me, but even then it was only normally for the senior JCR positions. And even then I resented it: JCRs are staffed by cunts just like everywhere else, and in my 2nd year the JCR president was a cunt beyond all definition of cunt.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    All STV elections ahve a RON option.

I only ever bothered voting for college elections, as it directly affected me, but even then it was only normally for the senior JCR positions. And even then I resented it: JCRs are staffed by cunts just like everywhere else, and in my 2nd year the JCR president was a cunt beyond all definition of cunt.

Aren't you a year above me? Wouldn't that have been Andy Gates?
  • Options
    It would have been Andy Gates, yes.

And everyone I knew at Aidan's thought he was a cunt too. Mysogynistic prick.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It would have been Andy Gates, yes.

And everyone I knew at Aidan's thought he was a cunt too. Mysogynistic prick.

I may have been a fresher but I was impressed he knew my name from the minute I arrived and genuinely liked him.

Joel Turner though, didn't like him.
  • Options
    The presidents spend the summer memorising names. Harpreet remembered all our names; he wasn't popular with a lot of peiople, but I thought he was really good. Turner wasn't a bad president either, he was really good to me and my housemate by giving us permission to use all college's facilities free of charge whilst our landlord was fucking us about last year. And he wrote a letter to us saying what a terrible hardship we were suffering, great for getting some of our deposit back:D

What's the president like this year? My housemate, traitor that she is, has gone to do her MA at Chad's so I don't hear much from the hill anymore. Though I'm still astounded by that pizza bar :lol:

I didn't like Gates because he was not very accomodating, I don't think. he bighegd up the whole drinking aspect, and a lot of people I know were tee-totallers and felt very isolated by him, especially with his newsletters and all his gags about "the pissed sluts" at Aidan's, which weren't funny.
  • Options
    Something going on with my computer means I can't post if I quote. This one's for you Kermit:

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention. I think there's a general problem in JCR elections that it's popular people who get the positions, not necessarily the most capable. Aidan's has had a drinking culture all the time I've been there. It can't really be described as inclusive of tee totallers (like myself).

The pizza shop is a good alternative to evening meals on weekends. I'm glad it's there despite the JCR shop bitches and moans about a loss of profits and thus a loss of JCR funds, all the rent money goes to college. Our current President is Claire Leggatt. She's alright, tries to listen to everyone, doing quite a lot for welfare but not particularly charismatic. Next year is a huge backwards step, the JCR has chosen Helen Brown the current Bar Chair for the position. I can't see the reliance on drinking being tackled, can you?

I should stop voting in these things, the candidate I choose never wins. Duncan Birch: Think of what he could have done!
  • Options
    I know someone who was banging Duncan Birch. tru dat.

I wish there'd been a pizza shop when I lived in. Better than toasties, though I'd have got even fatter.

Being a reasonable drinker myself, the drinking culture was never something that bothered me. It was more the way Gates personified it, with the repeated implication that if you didn't drink so much you ended up in Dryburn then you couldn't be a full member of Aidan's, and you weren't fulfilling the "community spirit" if you didn't shag a different bird every night. The ads for the college ball in 2002 upset a lot of people.

I know what you mean about Claire Leggatt though:)
  • Options
    *ahem*

PMs! Sigh.

Anyway, I like the deb soc at our uni (which is the same as wheresmyplacebo) but I'm not actually a member I just go along occasionally. Some people piss me off, for sure, but the debates are well-organised and usually pretty good (I spoke once, and was shit, but that aside...)
  • Options
    If we want to discuss the JCR exec of St Aidan's College then we will;)
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    *ahem*

PMs! Sigh.

That explains why you're so snappy!

I guess that must be a really old joke?