Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blunkett for early return?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Good to read of the possible early return of David Blunkett. I haven't got much time for this Labour government and its "tax & spend" policies taht are costing us dearly but producing very little in the way of tangible results, but as least Blunkett has got some backbone, something sadly lacking in most of those surrounding Phoney Blair and his gang.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/story/0,9061,1441952,00.html

Comments

• Options
    Well but of course you have to "tax & spend". What else can you do? Tax and pocket it?

Blunkett is a rather sinister man. He should piss off to the Tory party where he really belongs.
  • Options
    he kept his ministerial house for "security reasons"

which basically means he will be making a return to the cabinet if labour are re-elected aagin
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well but of course you have to "tax & spend". What else can you do? Tax and pocket it?
    I was just being kind. In reality its "tax by stealth" and waste by the £Billions!
    Gordon Brown has pumped £Billions into the NHS but with little sign of improvement, in fact one-third of NHS Trusts are in debt! Much of the extra spend has gone on bureauracy instead of front-line services. Where was the sense of putting large dollops of extra cash into an un-restructured NHS, everyone warned Labour, but of course they knew best!
    Since Labour came to power they've spent £6.5 Billion on 111 new quango's - why??? The trouble with Labour is they're addicted to raising taxes but hopeless when it comes to managing the spending.
    Blunkett is a rather sinister man. He should piss off to the Tory party where he really belongs.
    Disagree. He's the only sensible Labour figure who has any idea about dealing with the criminal underclass and immigration policy. Even so he's got much to learn but he's made a start, lets hope Phoney brings him back asap.
  • Options
    have you even looked at some of the things blunkett tried to instigate :shocking:

and i think the usage of money in the NHS is not browns fault, he should be commended for making it available, its the managers in the NHS's fault for not using it properly

and what are these quangos you talk about, (quasi autonomous non governmental organisations) i know what it stands for, but which ones have they spent this money on, just curious as to some linkage to read
    i am quite bored at the moment
  • Options
    1121_big.jpg
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Gordon Brown has pumped £Billions into the NHS but with little sign of improvement

…except shorter waiting times for outpatient appointments, shorter waiting times for surgery, shorter waiting times in A&E, easier access to GP (with 48 hours guarantee), new hospitals, new building at old hospitals, new equipment, increased pay for staff.

In the past year an extra 8,000 doctors, 11,200 nurses and 3,000 more “allied health professionals” (health care assistants, radiologist etc) were recruited.

Still no improvement I guess.

Also worth noting that because waiting times have been required to reduce by 3 months every year the NHS has been carrying out 15 months work every 12 months for the past three years.
    in fact one-third of NHS Trusts are in debt!

NHS Trusts are required to balance the books every year. This blocks some improvement programmes. There comes a point when a Trust must take a decision, are they will to go into debt this year on the basis that the service they invest in which actually reduce costs next year.

Poeple like you (and some politicians) need to understand that rather than criticise and look for more obstructions.
    into an un-restructured NHS, everyone warned Labour, but of course they knew best!

:lol:

If you ignore the fact that Strategic Health Authorities, PCT and many NHS Trusts are only a couple of years old having been developed from the old structure.
    Mr G wrote:
    and i think the usage of money in the NHS is not browns fault, he should be commended for making it available, its the managers in the NHS's fault for not using it properly

Actually the politicians and Department of Health should take the large share of the blame. Whilst the target culture has brought about some impressive improvements in new capacity and shorter waiting times, it has also meant that resources have been used in ways which I find it difficult to justify. The movement now it towards more preventative medicine than reactive.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Gordon Brown is the Chancellor on charge of government spending, if he's not responsible for overall government spending who is??? The NHS is being crammed with more and more "managers" and less and less money is going on front-line services.
    At Cabinet why is Brown not saying to John Reid, "What the hells going on Johnny, I'm taxing the arses off Middle England and your lot are sitting around fancy offices and driving nice comapny cars, whilst our hospitals get filthier and kill people with MRSA - what about the patients, nurses & doctors Johnny?"
    From memory I think Brown has doubled NHS spending since they came in - for what results??
  • Options
    Gordon Brown has pumped £Billions into the NHS but with little sign of improvement

As opposed to the hundreds of billions pumped into the US MIC by the shrub & cohorts whilst the nation slides into unrecoverable debt, social security for the baby boomers has essentially been plundered and pocketed, and the future opportunities for the next generation are being mortgaged to the hilt.

But you only see the flag waving in the breeze (and the regular stipend from your cozy trust fund security blanket) so of course to you its a model of excellent governance. :lol:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Gordon Brown is the Chancellor on charge of government spending, if he's not responsible for overall government spending who is??? The NHS is being crammed with more and more "managers" and less and less money is going on front-line services.

Added to my comments earlier (which you seem to ignore) I should point out that in addition to the doctors and nurses recruited last year there were an additional 2,400 "managers".

This brings the totals to:
    117,000 doctors
    397,500 nurses and
    37,700 "managers" working in the NHS.
    around fancy offices and driving nice comapny cars

:lol:

have you seen DOH offices?

oh, and I don't know of a single company car in the NHS.
    and kill people with MRSA

See other threads. In the meantme I suggest that you stop believing what the tabloid press print.
    From memory I think Brown has doubled NHS spending since they came in - for what results??

It has doubled.

For results you can read my earlier message but I should add that more than 18 years of cuts in funding and several restructuring exercises under the Tory Govt took their toll... therefore greater investment has been needed to get us into the 20th century. Shame we are already in the 21st eh?
  • Options
    just for reference, i hope this guy is old enough to pay taxes
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Gordon Brown has pumped £Billions into the NHS but with little sign of improvement, .

Unfortunately I have had to use the services of the NHS a lot recently and they've been excellent. I waited 3 weeks for a CT scan, 1 week for the results and only have to wait 6 days (and this includes the Easter break) for a bone marrow biopsy. That's a pretty good service IMO.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    At Cabinet why is Brown not saying to John Reid, "What the hells going on Johnny, I'm taxing the arses off Middle England and your lot are sitting around fancy offices and driving nice comapny cars, whilst our hospitals get filthier and kill people with MRSA - what about the patients, nurses & doctors Johnny?"

I love the way you just ignore the posts of people who actually know what they're on about when it doesn't fit in with your views. Good debating tactic that. :D