Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blair prepares to tell poll date

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to Andrew Marr anyway

If this is true its about time! It should be an interesting campaign...

Comments

• Options
    Renzo wrote:
    According to Andrew Marr anyway

If this is true its about time! It should be an interesting campaign...

elections like this are futile...labour are clearly going to win...we now have to endure months of jibes and counter-jibes, so much so that it reaches the mundane but i've always had a laugh witnessing these big cliche-ridden chirades....
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    elections like this are futile...
    I don't agree. It is a good thing that our rulers are held to account (albeit by a faulty electoral system). You wouldn't want the election to be cancelled, would you?
    labour are clearly going to win...
    Agreed - that's highly likely.
  • Options
    at least we dont get bogged down in election cycles like the americans do
  • Options
    What amazes me is how we tolerate our non-existent democracy!

We have no written constitution, unlike most modern states.

We are still prepared to put up with Kings, Queens, Princes, Castles, and all the other Fairy-tale nonsense - isn't it about time we grew up and started living in the 21st century?
    Besides our so-called Royal family are Germans anyway, they may quaintly call themselves "the Windsors" but they really are "the Saxe-Coburgs". Nothing personal in this and certainly i've nothing against the Germans per se.

We've got a second chamber (the House of Lords) that is non elected, by politically appointed - how democratic is that?

Lets become a Republic, elect our own President, and elect both houses, and for God's sake lets have a wriitten constitution - but not a European one!

Rant over.
  • Options
    Here's my bet: record low turnout.
  • Options
    its May 5th anyway, if it isnt Ill walk rounf to my polling station naked
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What amazes me is how we tolerate our non-existent democracy!

We have no written constitution, unlike most modern states.

We are still prepared to put up with Kings, Queens, Princes, Castles, and all the other Fairy-tale nonsense - isn't it about time we grew up and started living in the 21st century?
    Besides our so-called Royal family are Germans anyway, they may quaintly call themselves "the Windsors" but they really are "the Saxe-Coburgs". Nothing personal in this and certainly i've nothing against the Germans per se.

We've got a second chamber (the House of Lords) that is non elected, by politically appointed - how democratic is that?

Lets become a Republic, elect our own President, and elect both houses, and for God's sake lets have a wriitten constitution - but not a European one!

Rant over.

we do have a constitution which is written but uncodified into a single document

we have laws, we have judges, what more oculd you want?