Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cannabis downgrade being reviewed

Well you can tell there is an election coming can't you... :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4363075.stm

It was too good to be true that a government in this country might do something intelligent and progressive for long...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :|

Clarke's more of a fascist than Blunkett!
  • Options
    I think Aladdin had it right. There's an election coming.

Watch this one die a death soon after May 5th...
  • Options
    It was too good to be true that a government in this country might do something intelligent and progressive for long...
    Wouldn't call it intelligent or progressive, the word that comes to mind is stupid!
    Cannabis leads to mental illness, fact!
  • Options
    Wrong. Cannabis might lead to mental illnesses.

On a few cases. And not very often at all.

Alcohol on the other hand is a far more sinister and dangerous poison, leading not only to mental conditions but to countless other medical conditions including heart disease and liver disease, as well as being responsible for more crime than any other substance known to man, and indeed killing up to 100,000 people every year.

I look forward to your campaigning that alcohol is banned immediately from consumption.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Wouldn't call it intelligent or progressive, the word that comes to mind is stupid!

Cannabis can very occasionally exacerbate mental illness if used heavily, and by people with pre-existing problems.

Prohibition is a farce.

It doesn't reduce use significantly - Holland has a fewer cannabis users per % of population than the USA or UK.

The majority of what is sold as cannabis largely isn't cannabis - it's a mix of other drugs (tranquilisers etc), shit, henna, glue, boot polish...just about anything which can be used to cut the product. The impact on people's health doesn't need pointed out.

So the government stands by a policy which doesnt reduce use, and poisons its own population. Well done.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Cannabis can very occasionally exacerbate mental illness if used heavily, and by people with pre-existing problems.
    It probably makes you feel better putting "spin" on the issue but the research proves that cannabis does greatly contribute to the onset of mental illness by all, not just those with existing problems.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    It probably makes you feel better putting "spin" on the issue but the research proves that cannabis does greatly contribute to the onset of mental illness by all, not just those with existing problems.

link please kid?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    link please kid?

He put up links to some news stories on the other thread. None of them back up what he's saying.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

And how about responding to the fact prohibition has been shown as a failure in reducing use whilst at the same time poisoning the very people it supposedly protects?

What "spin" have I put on the issue? The only "spin" put on the issue has been by the supporters of prohibition - who have for decades upon decades peddled lies & misinformation.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    He put up links to some news stories on the other thread. None of them back up what he's saying.

he's a literate version of luke....
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    he's a literate version of luke....

lol...yeah, i was thinking the same...although luke did accept legalisation was the best option before he was banned...which was something i suppose.
  • Options
    the use of cannabis increased the risk of schizophrenia by 30% - Source

As far as prohibition goes, it doesn't stop people using drugs. It is worth noting, however, the damage that legal drugs (mainly nicotine and alcohol) is massive, and famously during Prohibtion in the US, there was a 50% decrease in alcohol consumption, 63% decrease in cirrhosis of the liver and 60% decrease in alcohol psychosis. Parallel to this was a massive increase in organised crime (Al Capone et al) and no taxable revenue for the government.

Legalising all drugs would be less hypocritical than prohibiting some, but what about the increase in usage? I am sure the billions in revenue the government gets in duty on alcohol and tobacco goes some way to cover the billions it costs to fix people on the NHS who suffer the not-inconsiderable side-effects of abusing alcohol and nicotine.

I honestly don't know. Certainly studies should continue in the effects of cannabis. I don't think that government holds the key to changing peoples relationship with drugs, and that a cultural shift has to occur (certainly in the UK). Dutch people don't smoke nearly as much as British people.

:confused:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

An ex drug addict who turned in2 a drug counseller stated that you do not get mental illness from cannabis unless the issues are already there. Cannabis is safer than alcohol and ciggarettes as long as it is smoked on its own. I smoke it, it chills me out.... I say it should be legal.
  • Options
    Cannabis is NO where near as dangerous as the other drugs in the Class B bracket, its not even as dangerous as the others in the Class C bracket. To move it back up and have it comparable with methamphetamine would be mad.

Yes, as with any hallucinogen its not going to be a great idea if you have pre-existing mental health issues, but that is an educational issue, not a legal one.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    so the nhs has been swamped over the last forty years has it with the millions of people who smoke the stuff ...i think not.
  • Options
    so the nhs has been swamped over the last forty years has it with the millions of people who smoke the stuff ...i think not.
    No, but the cannabis smoked in the 60's aint shit compared to the hybridized, THC-soaked skunk smoked now.
  • Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yes:
  • Options
    From the article, just thought I'd add in what the scientists and medical experts say, those who probably know more about the effects than any of us:
    The advisory council, which is made up of scientists and medical experts, said in 2001 that cannabis was "unquestionably harmful", but less so than other class B drugs.
  • Options
    duvdevan wrote:
    No, but the cannabis smoked in the 60's aint shit compared to the hybridized, THC-soaked skunk smoked now.
    utter fucking rubbish!
  • Options
    duvdevan wrote:
    so no ...our health systems have not been swamped all these years but you believe it's cos people were smoking crap compared to now.
    you couldn't be more wrong.
    what has increased in potency ...slightly ...is grass or bud.
    none of it comes anywhere near the strength of the resins ...resins that had changed little over the centuries ...that were available in the 60's 70's.
    panama red ...lebanese red ...and gold ...nepalese temple balls ...most people today have never experienced nepalese hash ...most people today would think they had been spiked with lsd compared to the fairly medocre bud thats available in the uk.
    good strong weed ...what about durban poison ...nock the fucking street bud for six!
    the new evidence about mental health problems is not new in the slightest ..it just confirms what has been known for years.
    given that even those who would like to see cannabis redone as a class b ...admit that less than ten percent of users will have any kind of problem.
    so ...why should my pleasure be criminalised ...
  • Options
    I can't say I speak for everyone, as of course I don't know everyone, but in my personal experience, those who regularly smoked cannabis (and by this, I mean almost a habit, once a week or more etc) almost always had behavioural eccentricities, if you get what I mean. They are nice enough people, but... you don't have to be talking to them long to notice (at least the ones I know) they're a bit 'unhinged'.

But, that is as likely to be a symptom of the habit rather than the actual smoking, if you know what I mean. From what I know people who smoke normally only do it when they're hanging out with mates etc. - like having a beer infront of the telly. I can't claim I'm an expert anyway, just pointing out from my personal experience those who do smoke it quite frequently are for want of a better word... strange
  • Options
    I can't say I speak for everyone, as of course I don't know everyone, but in my personal experience, those who regularly smoked cannabis (and by this, I mean almost a habit, once a week or more etc) almost always had behavioural eccentricities, if you get what I mean. They are nice enough people, but... you don't have to be talking to them long to notice (at least the ones I know) they're a bit 'unhinged'.

But, that is as likely to be a symptom of the habit rather than the actual smoking, if you know what I mean. From what I know people who smoke normally only do it when they're hanging out with mates etc. - like having a beer infront of the telly. I can't claim I'm an expert anyway, just pointing out from my personal experience those who do smoke it quite frequently are for want of a better word... strange
    all part of the effect ...wot you pays your money for ...
  • Options
    utter fucking rubbish!

the strength of cannabis on sale now far outstrips the strength of the drug sold during the "flower power" era of the 1960s and 1970s. - Source

I don't really think you can convincingly argue that cannabis strength has only risen *slightly*. Get real.

I am glad that people here have been able to smoke whatever and not be adversely affected. Its similar to the "my granma smoked 20 fags a day until she died aged 99, never did her any harm" argument.

I suppose the classification should serve the same purpose as a warning on a pack of cigarettes. I don't agree with criminalising people who want to take drugs, its a waste of time. But, like tobacco, the government should warn people about the risks and provide treatment for stopping. The studies just aren't there yet, so maybe it is best to err on the side of caution...?
  • Options
    duvdevan wrote:
    the strength of cannabis on sale now far outstrips the strength of the drug sold during the "flower power" era of the 1960s and 1970s. - Source

I don't really think you can convincingly argue that cannabis strength has only risen *slightly*. Get real.

I am glad that people here have been able to smoke whatever and not be adversely affected. Its similar to the "my granma smoked 20 fags a day until she died aged 99, never did her any harm" argument.

I suppose the classification should serve the same purpose as a warning on a pack of cigarettes. I don't agree with criminalising people who want to take drugs, its a waste of time. But, like tobacco, the government should warn people about the risks and provide treatment for stopping. The studies just aren't there yet, so maybe it is best to err on the side of caution...?
    i am well aware of these kinds of reports ...but if you check the thc content in police raids over the years you will see that ...intensively grown cannabis ...is nothing like the 30% stronger that has been stated.
    in most cases it is arpound 2% stronger ...and often even weaker than stuff grown naturaly.
    this country is now producing a huge ammount of home grown and even exporting the stuff ...as is most of europe.
    there are millions upon millions across europe smoking the stuff ...has been for a very long time ...a very long time ...and people just aint going crazy!
    the laws actualy do far more harm than the drug itself could ever do!
    yes there should be education ...but based on truth.
    yes there should be warnings.
    but i'm fucked if i can see why on earth people like me ...sat here talking to you ...whilst having a smoke ...should be liable to imprisonment.
    i'm also at a complete loss as to why these supposedly dangerous substances that generate billions upon billions of tax free quids ...should be in the hands of criminals.
  • Options
    Because it's the dangerous 'weed'...
  • Options
    This arguement over stronger weed makes no sense though because it assumes people still use the same amount.

Why would you pay more for a stronger product then smoke the same amount?

Thats like buying vodka and then drinking a pint of it.

You are assuming that all stonners want to get a LOT more stonned than they used too, which I dont believe.