Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Putting fluoride in water.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so the common knowledge is that fluoride is added to water to reduce cavities and tooth decay, here in the UK 11% of the water supply is fluoridated........what might surprise you is this........

these countries don't fluoridate their water.......main reasons are lack of evidence and that the purpose of supplying water is not medicinal in nature.....

these studies show fluoride does not prevent cavities and tooth decay when ingested, which makes perfect sense if you think about it, you don't swallow mouthwash do you......so why put it in water?........the WHO has said countries with non-fluoridated water have if anything lower levels of tooth decay than those with.....

these studies show that fluoride causes a series of ill health disorders, most interestingly it is a CNS toxin, even in low dosages of 1ppm, and this study shows a direct correlation between fluoride and reduced IQ.......

now despite this wealth of research contrary to popular belief, they are still attempting to fluoridate water in scotland, despite the motion being rejected last year........more worryingly tony bliar is backing plans to increase fluoridation in our supply, despite the growing evidence.......why so eager?

now when i tell you that 2/3rds of america's water supply is fluoridated..........i don't mean to generalise but the people strike me as simplistic and easily led......i have to ask, wtf is our government playing at?..........one of my friends told me about this a few months back and i kind of laughed it off, now i'm not so sure, am i being paranoid?....... :crazyeyes

i only looked into this recently cos my mum suggested i filter my water, which i have been doing for a couple months now, then i drank some tapwater recently and i felt sick, literally.......

oh and christopher bryson has recently published this book........

Comments

• Options
    It's controversial, certainly.

We buy fortified flour and the water contains chlorine anyway. It's a question of subjecting a lot of people to fluoridated water for the benefit of a few children whose diet is deficient.
  • Options
    if they try it here in north wales ...where we have very nice and very local water supplies i would be one of the first people advocating civil disturbance ...violence if needed to stop it happening.
    it's ok for the government to medicate me with toxic industrial waste against my wishes ...but it's not ok for me to self medicate using a relatively harmless ...to me ...herb.
    it's a mad world.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm... as long as no one suggests its mind control.

I think they won't be doing it to intentinally harm anyone, they probably beleive it'll be a good thing if it is in the water.
  • Options
    it's ok for the government to medicate me with toxic industrial waste against my wishes ...but it's not ok for me to self medicate using a relatively harmless ...to me ...herb.
    it's a mad world.

lol, my thoughts exactly.......if other western countries are having none of it then why are we?.....we gonna follow the u.s. to the gates of hell or what...... :shocking: , maybe there are too many intelligent brits, i find the research quite shocking, i certainly wasn't aware of all the dangers of it, all these chemicals can't be good for you tho, doesn't get anymore blatant than tampering with the water.........*ends drunken ramble*
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think they won't be doing it to intentinally harm anyone, they probably beleive it'll be a good thing if it is in the water.

Then why isn't everyone doing it?........in fact we're in the minority, the majority of the civilised world don't, from the evidence it's only really america...........? are they smarter than the rest of us?.......... :lol: please.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Im not saying I agree with it... im just saying I don't think its a conspiracy to kill us off or make us dumber. I don't think they are trying to harm us... we don't live in a totalitarian state to my knowledge. Yet.
  • Options
    hmmm i'd just like to know what the u.s, ireland, spain and england know that the rest of the world don't?........when plenty of scientific research from established bodies, like those folks down at the world health organisation, say to the contrary?...
  • Options
    Yeah its a bit worrying that we are being forced to injest this medication. But then again I really dont think its anything as sinister as you suggest, there are always conflicts of scientific opinion it just so happens that the majority of opinion is against water fluoridisation.
    I really don't think that its an attempt to passivise the population by spiking the water supply.

Your suggestion that the US population is gullable and easily led is a big fat generalisation and linking their supposed gullability to the higher level of fluoride in their water supply doesn't prove anything at all.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    Then why isn't everyone doing it?........in fact we're in the minority, the majority of the civilised world don't, from the evidence it's only really america...........? are they smarter than the rest of us?.......... :lol: please.

Do you seriously think that Americans are inately "less smart" than citizens from other countries? They seem to produce a hell of a lot of the worlds scientific research and technology and have the worlds best universities for a start.

Surely thats no better than claiming that say, Nigerians are stupider than us? Or Russians are less smart than us?

Why do you feel it is ok to claim that Americans are somehow naturally stupid? Quite apart from the fact that it is obviously not true, its seems to be quite a bigoted thing to say.
  • Options
    well the IQ study was interesting, that's all i'm saying.........plus 50% voted for george bush, who i think was given less stick than kerry by the media etc, influenced some voters for sure.........and they forgot about WMDs almost as quickly as bush, they dont seem to have the longest memories......

considering you lot don't even admit terrorism is a bogus pretext for global domination yet, the heat is turned up on bliar over here at least for pulling his stunts..........still everyone is scared of conservatives and liberals so looks like this election is another foregone conlcusion.....
  • Options
    well i don't like to make generalisations and obviously not ALL americans are stupid, the other 50% voted for kerry............there is a definite divide in america, those who are happy with what bush is doing and those that aren't...........considering global opinion is openly criticial of the chimp it should be obvious he is in the wrong.........plus you have one of the lowest literacy rates in the western world, i do think american education is screwed up at the least............i'm not saying its all down to the fluoride its just a sidetrack...........and of course there are clever americans as anywhere else.
  • Options
    i am not being bigoted, i just said i blame the education for one, there are plenty of other factors........explain the literacy rate........i'm not talking about innate or natural intelligence mate.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    well the IQ study was interesting, that's all i'm saying.........plus 50% voted for george bush, who i think was given less stick than kerry by the media etc, influenced some voters for sure.........and they forgot about WMDs almost as quickly as bush, they dont seem to have the longest memories...........

You honestly believe that Americans are more stupid than the rest of the world? That is stupid and bigoted. If you were to say it about any other country you'd be flamed.

How you can equate the voting choice of a minority of the population with intelligence is beyond me. Regardless of what you think of George Bush it doesnt make you stupid if you vote for him, academics and intelligent people vote republican too.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    considering you lot don't even admit terrorism is a bogus pretext for global domination yet, the heat is turned up on bliar over here at least for pulling his stunts..........still everyone is scared of conservatives and liberals so looks like this election is another foregone conlcusion.....

Not entirely sure what you are on about there. Don't see the relevance...
    You seem a bit keen to wheel out the old conspiracy theories in pretty much every post! :)
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    well i don't like to make generalisations and obviously not ALL americans are stupid, the other 50% voted for kerry............there is a definite divide in america, those who are happy with what bush is doing and those that aren't...........considering global opinion is openly criticial of the chimp it should be obvious he is in the wrong.........plus you have one of the lowest literacy rates in the western world, i do think american education is screwed up at the least............i'm not saying its all down to the fluoride its just a sidetrack...........and of course there are clever americans as anywhere else.

Well its 4 am and Ive just finished my essay for tomorrow so I'm going to have to leave this debate till tomorrow!
  • Options
    the relevance is that the majority of americans still see nothing wrong with the illegitimacy of the iraq invasion, they can't see the fact america broke the very rules it cited to invade iraq........and neither can britain to be fair, but it doesnt take an einstein........it's not about conspiracy it's about the lack of public awareness........and i wish you'd read all the posts before you reply, it is late, i'm tired, and i am going to bed...........
  • Options
    You posted as I was typing a reply! Didnt realise you'd made more posts...

The invasion of Iraq has absoloutely no relevance to the intelligence of Americans.

Bed time - seeya!
  • Options
    the invasion of iraq is because of the americans intelligeance

not the cause of it
  • Options
    Back on topic - who are the ones that currently only drink water? Yes those children with parents that care about their teeth, and people that care about their teeth, usually. Adding fluoride will not benefit those children that don't drink the water and exclusively drink ginger like Irn Bru, Coke etc

Am I being simplistic??
  • Options
    No, I think you're right Panthro. A lot of the kids with severe dental problems are the ones who have a very poor diet. I know a lot of kids won't touch water because they don't like it, so unless we're going to be fluoridating pop as well I'm not sure what the benefits will be.
  • Options
    Here's a radical solution - what about more NHS dentists?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Here's a radical solution - what about more NHS dentists?

That is massively needed and would be a big help. But it's not going to generally address the main problems which are poor dental hygiene and poor diet.
  • Options
    Not sure what you can do to really address the main problems. You can educate parents, you can educate kids, but in the end people just ignore the advice of nutrionists and feed their kids crap (and then don't make them clean their teeth).

My solutions such as they are is more spent on school dinners (50p per child is not breaking the bank), more competitive sport (at least we can try and improve their general fitness) and perhaps linking NHS dentists to schools (ie the school books appointments once every six months and the whole primary class trips off to the dentist).

Its probably not workable, though....
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not sure what you can do to really address the main problems. You can educate parents, you can educate kids, but in the end people just ignore the advice of nutrionists and feed their kids crap (and then don't make them clean their teeth).

My solutions such as they are is more spent on school dinners (50p per child is not breaking the bank), more competitive sport (at least we can try and improve their general fitness) and perhaps linking NHS dentists to schools (ie the school books appointments once every six months and the whole primary class trips off to the dentist).

Its probably not workable, though....

school dentists have always been relatively shit in my opinion, was made to have surgery done which wasnt necessery