Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Civil Service job cuts

Story.

12,000 civil service jobs go, and everyone thinks this is wonderful.

Erm, no. Whilst the poor shmucks manning the benefits desk will lose their jobs (amusing given how so many of them earn so little they qualify for tax credits), am I being too cynical in suggesting that the real wasters- those who sit behind a desk all day and just fuck up every decision that comes across their path- will stioll be plodding happily along with their oversized pay packet and their underworked arses?

No, I don't think I am.

It's scaring me how much I'm agreeing with the unions at the minute. Brown's plans are stupid, and will destroy the civil service, without actually cutting out any of the layers of waste. Most CS middle management are, in my experience, incompetent morons who deserve prison not a job, but it's not them whose jobs get cut.

It's amazing how the Government's done this without any complaints. Use the term "civil servant" and you think of a legion of Sir Humphreys, and it isnt these overpaid and underworked wasters than Brown has destroyed.

Still, it proves that anyone who thinks Brown would be a better PM than Blair is a clueless idiot.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This decision has hit down hard in my town, where many people who've been working in the civil service have been sacked (including two managers... People who have put so much hard work to get where they are... years of work) and other people including my mother are moved to the job centre now... Not that it's their choice.

To take the piss even further, they're forcing pensioners to open bank accounts too, hence things can be worked out on computer (and it wouldn't surprise me if half the banks are investing in the arms trade and illegal wars, pharmacutical companies that can't be trusted ect ect too... Two birds with one stone eh?).
  • Options
    It's only wonderful if you listen to the tabloids. When someone is portrayed so badly of course the public see them as a waste of money...
  • Options
    Yes, but what else can you expect from this government? Some of the newspapers talked a few days before the budget about how there was going to be a bonfire of quangos, according to the Chancellor. He created two new ones.

It all reminds me of an episode of "Yes Minister" in which Sir Humphrey talks to the minister about cutting the number of jobs in the department. Yet, the team that's meant to look into this will need an extra 400 staff. It's so eerily similar to Yes Minister...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It's so eerily similar to Yes Minister...

That's because half of the material for Yes, Minister was provided by CS moles;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That's because half of the material for Yes, Minister was provided by CS moles;)
    I started watching the show on UK Gold some months back. I would have thought it would be completely outdated now, but in some ways, it's more relevant to politics than ever. My favourite episode was one where the department had opened a brand new, state of the art hospital. Unfortunately, because of government incompetence, there was no money left to hire staff and open the hospital. :rolleyes:

Anyway, on a more serious note, it's nice to see the government so committed to cutting costs for the civil service whilst giving such luxury for its officials. For example, the British High Commissioner to South Africa lives in a huge house, all funded for by the taxpayer. I'll try and find a picture of it, the place is beautiful and extravagant. But more necessary than help for jobseekers for instance? I think not.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Hilarious.

Are BBC executives civil servants? :chin:
    Maybe you'd support getting rid of 12,000 of them... ;)