Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cocaine advert on tv...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had to laugh at this...

An advert for cocaine is exactly what it is. Probably a mass of teenagers now trying to get their hands on some after that advert late night channel 4.

Comments

• Options
    can u get a link??
  • Options
    this advert for cocaine wine was well before the days of telly!

cocapope4po.jpg

Pope Leo XIII (1810-1903) endorsed Vin Mariani, a cocaine-laced wine very popular in Europe in the mid-1800s. When Colonel John Pemberton in Atlanta brewed up his first batch of Coca-Cola in 1886, he was trying to imitate Vin Mariani but dropped the wine to avoid problems with Temperance groups. Pemberton did, however leave in the cocaine... which remained in Coke for at least the the next twenty years.
  • Options
    cokedrops6sz.gif
  • Options
    I might point out Rolly that oral cocaine, even in strong concentration isnt like the way we use the drug today.
  • Options
    SOPH1A wrote:
    can u get a link??

mmm not sure...i thinks one of HEBS' (Health Education Board of Scotlands) campaigns. Not sure if you can see it on the 'net, check the HEBS website or something.

Basically a guy snorting coke in a pub then walking to the bar looking rather pleased with himself...following by a warning that "cocaine makes you 24 times more likely to have a heart attack"...which your average teenagers getting into drugs won't give a fuck about.
  • Options
    I saw an excellent anti-drugs ad on Tarrant on TV once. It was of a drug mule, who'd wrapped up coke in condoms and swallowed them. When he was safely at the other side he took laxatives and shit them out. Then he sifted through the diarrhoea to find the condoms and washed them off in the sink. It then flashes to the next scene were some posh women were snorting it up their noses. Totally gross.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I might point out Rolly that oral cocaine, even in strong concentration isnt like the way we use the drug today.
    we?
  • Options
    we?
    :D that was good
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I saw an excellent anti-drugs ad on Tarrant on TV once. It was of a drug mule, who'd wrapped up coke in condoms and swallowed them. When he was safely at the other side he took laxatives and shit them out. Then he sifted through the diarrhoea to find the condoms and washed them off in the sink. It then flashes to the next scene were some posh women were snorting it up their noses. Totally gross.

lol, as long as the coke wasn't shit-stained i don't see any problem.

Anti-drugs ads are a load of shite...the people who produce them have no idea the mentality of people they're trying to influence.

I'm sitting in a computer lab at uni right now, there's a big poster ahead of me, it reads - "just a joint - just a criminal record". Now, how the fuck does a joint land you a criminal record? They really expect to be taken seriously plastering such misinformation left right and centre??

There's a whole series going about my uni...complete joke..."its just a joint - it's just a £1,000 fine"...errr...£1,000 fine for smoking a joint? Yeah right!

The fools behind the campaign need to read a law book pretty quick :rolleyes: .

Ah well there was my rant for the day.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The fools behind the campaign need to read a law book pretty quick :rolleyes: .

they're probably the last lot of fools that left your uni.
    make sure the next set of fools that leave ...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The fools behind the campaign need to read a law book pretty quick :rolleyes: .QUOTE]

Erm, they can still bust you and take you to court, even for one spliff, its totally up to the copper in the case.
  • Options
    Anti-drugs ads are a load of shite...the people who produce them have no idea the mentality of people they're trying to influence.

you think thats bad, go to some american sites and see the ridiculous rubbish exclusively aimed at the middle clases that they post...
    Erm, they can still bust you and take you to court, even for one spliff, its totally up to the copper in the case.

yeah bong but we all know its unlikely to get to that point...the possibility exists but its relatively slim...
  • Options
    Those anti-drugs campaigns in the US could well be seen as a success in terms of cannabis use though, its lower than it is here, as is MDMA use.

Of course the US has a more problematic drug problem than us so in another way its not working.

But in terms of number of drug users it does work.
  • Options
    but is that not just cultural rather than anything else...

and also what about the prison population of recreational users?
  • Options
    Ahhh, thats where it gets interesting, is the culture that different in the US to here and is it that which creates the problem?

Or is it the repressive drug laws which create the problem?

Certainly the large areas of deprived housing do foster drug problems as a symptom of poverty.

However, the repressive drug laws do agrevate this by making the market so profitable and therefore attractive.

Also, in terms of user to prison inmate the US is markably higher than than us because they put more resources into it than we do.
  • Options
    under Bush v.1, the US became the most prolific incarcerator in the world...right at the height of 'JUST SAY NO'...
  • Options
    Oh, of course, but much like the UK at the time there were large sections of deprived housing and industrial collaspse during that period.

Its far more complex than just strong law = bad situation.

I'd also be interested to see how many people were cannabis smokers during that period, I'm guessing compared to the relatively liberal 70's use went down.

Just because incarcerations happen does not mean there are more smokers.
  • Options
    i didnt think in implied that there were...

im sure there isnt such a viberant drug culture in Iran for example...
  • Options
    i didnt think in implied that there were...

im sure there isnt such a viberant drug culture in Iran for example...
    there is throughout the arab world!
    no i aint telling how i know.
    but ...iran ...massive internet usage ...massive ebay sales ...big drug culture along with western music ...
  • Options
    Iran's got a bit of a nasty opium and heroin problem.

Actually I met someone from a harm reduction charity from Iran a while back at a conference, he was a bit odd and I'm not sure I totally trusted the government information he gave me but apparently the government there is putting money into re-hab centres.

I'll try and dig out the leaflet he gave me and see if I can find the information.
  • Options
    ok i was actually meaning the sort of...no hang on... :banghead: oh i cant believe i said that OF COURSE its going to have a massive issue with cannabis and opium...

i was thinking more of the cocaine and amphetamine families, more than anything else...but i should suppose thats more to do with availability and market forces than with government policy...
  • Options
    It doesnt have to be 'of course' no society needs to have a drug problem of a sizable nature.

Trying to rid Iran of opium though would be ill advised, its been there much longer than any government.

I think it is the moderately recent influx of heroin use, rather than opium which is causing concern, as well it might.
  • Options
    It doesnt have to be 'of course'

no but opiate use is engrained into arabic culture anyway, so i understand...
  • Options
    no but opiate use is engrained into arabic culture anyway, so i understand...

Somewhat yes, Iran has been at the centre of the opium trade as long as there has been one.
  • Options
    is the smoking of opium tolerated in Iran then?
  • Options
    is the smoking of opium tolerated in Iran then?

Good question, I'm not sure, its certainly not repressed like the Taliban did.

That can be your project for the day, go find out.
  • Options
    i've got real work to do you pottering public servant you!

will try :flirt:
  • Options
    i've got real work to do you pottering public servant you!

will try :flirt:

Pish, I work hard. And dont flirt with me, you're not my bag.
  • Options
    you love it :D