Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Regrets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm just about to finish uni and i feel like i've wasted all my time here. My boyfriend lives in the city so i suppose that as an easy excuse, i'm seriously shy to the point i can't really hold a normal conversation (i'm not wierd) just really shy and i was wondering if what my mum says is true you make life long friends at uni (if it is i'm gonna kill myself now) i just wondered if anyone who'd left uni had any tips on how to make new friends after uni :)

Ta
xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    different people have different experiences of making friends. it doesn't necesarily mean you will make life long friends at uni, as opposed to anywhere else, for that matter
    as for making new friends after uni - i guess a lot of it comes down to what you are doing - are you in work, or not?
    but making friends anywhere, is pretty much the same deal of common interests, etc.
    i suppose your shyness makes convesations difficult for you but you might find this aticle useful:
    http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/familyandfriends/friendships/makingnewfriends
    and
    http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/familyandfriends/friendships/shyness
  • Options
    When you start work you'll always make new friends with colleagues etc. I've got friends at uni but none I think will be friends for life so I wouldn't worry about that.

But you'll get less shy as you get older, as your confidence will grow in time. I wouldn't worry about it. The future is what you make it after all.
  • Options
    kitcat4192 wrote:
    ...i was wondering if what my mum says is true you make life long friends at uni...
    Pfft! A lecturer at college was always telling us that the people we'd meet there would be our friends for life. Bollocks! I'm not in touch with anyone I knew at college and am bloody glad of it.
  • Options
    BaybehGrrl wrote:
    The majority of people at uni make friends for life, not so much college as you're only there for 2 years, but at uni you live with your friends and stuff like that, so it is the norm to make good friends at uni.
    I look forward to the day when I can find out for myself if this is true.
  • Options
    STARGALAXY 07:14 - we're both singing from the same hymn sheet. Perhaps women are more inclined to keep in touch...out of curiosity, if nothing else. Anyway, my fellow students were removing knives out of each others backs half the time - so much for student buddies. "Bah, Humbug"

KITCAT4912 - it's certainly nothing to feel down about. As for shyness...go to the craziest gig advertised and go bonkers !! You know, shyness can be quite a sexy quality...
  • Options
    Jah wrote:
    STARGALAXY 07:14 - we're both singing from the same hymn sheet. Perhaps women are more inclined to keep in touch...out of curiosity, if nothing else. Anyway, my fellow students were removing knives out of each others backs half the time - so much for student buddies. "Bah, Humbug"
    Not being at university yet, I don't know. As for women being more inclined, maybe. Though there were extenuating circumstances as to why I didn't keep in touch with others. I don't wish to go into detail about it here, but I would say maybe there's something in that.
  • Options
    Hullo, just to add my two pence:

I've spoken to teachers before about uni, friends...how it all works out...they said, you meet good people there...but at the end of the day, you enter into work commitments when you leave, your new people are the ones you see everyday, becoming friends with them as you see each other often through work, and less time is taken dwelling over lost friends as you meet new friends, although there are sometimes one or two that stick by you...but rarely.

Cheer up cherub, it's different for everyone!

Malt xxx :)
  • Options
    You can make your life-long best friends at uni, but unless you are lucky you won't. Most people take one or two people from school, one or two people from uni, and the rest of your social circle depends on where you live and work.

You make friends after uni the same as anyone else does: work colleagues, people down the street, etc etc.
  • Options
    That's true. ^^

The thing about uni is you make a lot of acquaintances and a few friends. Turning an acquaintance into a friend depends on how often you see them and whether you continue to have shared interests.

Make the most of the friends you have made, and don't dwell on your regrets. Life's too short, trust me.