Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personal Statements

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have to write my personal statement by monday! I m not really sure how to this!, does anyone have any tips on writing a really good personal statement, i'm scared of sounding dull! i dont want my tutor to think that im stupid!
i did 1 attempt & showed it to the school libraian (good mate) and she said that it sucks! any tips greatly appreciated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Just try and put across that ur really interested in the subject you've applied for, things you've done in that subject area, work experience etc, but also as you say dnt try and rite too much dull stuff. I was told that uni's dnt want total geeks in that subject if u get me, they like to see people who can work but also people who enjoy other things - sports, clubs etc. Maybe try and include wot ur hobbies are etc.

Wot did u write in ur first attempt? :)
  • Options
    I'd agree with what GoodFella says. Show that you have an interest in a subject and rather than just saying why you're interested, prove that you are. Mention events you have attended relating to the subject, research you've done, assignments you've written, publications you read etc. Show that you have a passion for the subject and that you are keen to learn more. Tell them also where the interest initially came from. Don't overdo it though, most universities will expect an element of bullshit, but try to keep it within reason.

Again, following on from GoodFella, tell them about yourself too. Make yourself appear sociable, ie: someone who participates in clubs and sports and also show that you have a lot of drive and ambition. Mention projects you have undetaken or something you are proud of, perhaps a problem you came accross and how you overcame it, things like that will go down well.

I would post mine on here if I had a copy (although it is a few years old), but unfortunately it's on my (very) old computer which now resides at my parents.
  • Options
    obviously my personal statement involved lots of tweaking from the origional draft, but that draft was written for me
  • Options
    Mine had:
    • Where my interest in the subject stemmed from
    • What intrigues me about the subject
    • Parts of the subject that interest me most
    • Non formally recognised qualifications
    • Work experience
    • Personality traits
    • Part time job
    • Hobbies/interests
    • What I foresee I will do with my qualification

Try to write quite formally, but not to the extent that you feel uncomfortable writing it.

Use paragraphs, it makes it easier to read.

The most important part is to communicate your uniqueness, so don't be afraid to put your personality across.
  • Options
    Follow all the advice that has been given here, structually it's perfect. But stylistically, you have to exude confidence. You don't want to sound like you are the most awesome person in the world, you have to make them feel it (subtly of course) so when they finish the admission tutor thinks "Wow, we'd have to be stupid to turn this person down!"
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Pearls of wisdom about nailing that university place. Hope it helps...
  • Options
    Have a look at http://www.studential.com - the site contains example personal statements, guides and FAQs on everything Ucas and personal statement related. You can also get people on the site to look at it for you.

The best thing to do would be to have a look at examples of other peoples statements to give you an idea of how people write them.
  • Options
    Without sounding annoying, do a search and open the thread by DJP. He made a kickass thread where people submitted their tips and even their own PSs so people could gain some inspiration :)

Good luck.
  • Options
    Just think of everything interesting you've ever done and make it sound good. Within reason. Eg babysitting becomes Part-Time Child minder showing responsibilty