Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bleaching

I'm getting really impatiant and dont want to wait so long so my hair colour to fade out. Its black at the mo butI want it brown.
I was thinking, if I bleach it do a over night condisioning treatment then dye it brown, will my hair be ok?

I'm really worried cos the last time I bleached my hair was when i was 13 and it made my hair feel like straw.

Also can someone recomend a good bleach that wont kill my hair.

Oooh one more thing, would it be a good idea not to use my striaghteners for a while because of the bleach??
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're concerned i would speak to your hairdresser, don't think it is worth potentially wrecking your hair, there is only so much it will take
  • Options
    If you're gonna dye it brown, you probably won't need to fully bleach it anyway. You could bleach it to the goldeny stage and then dye it brown over that. You'd have to put two applications of bleach on to get past the gingery stage, which is reallllly bad for your hair. I have the underneath of my hair very dark brown and two applications of bleach on a section of this has caused it to completely break off.

You should be fine if you bleach it just once, leave the bleach on for maybe just over an hour, and use lots of conditioning treatment then use a brown hair dye. Only thing is it might turn a little reddy toned because it was black before.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    leave the bleach on for maybe just over an hour

:eek:

if you just want to lift it from black to brown, you'll probably get the right shade from the bleach after 20 mins or so, if not 15. if you leave it on for over an hour, your hair might melt. if you want it a nice chocolate brown or darker, it doesn't need to be bleached that much. just enough to get rid of the black tones, the dye permanent brown over the top.

the bleach i got on best with was the l'oreal one. i think it's called super blonde. you can choose from the 3 strengths. boots own is also quite good, but you will need to condition the tits off your hair after.

and yeah, i'd probably avoid avid straightening for a while. once a week would be ok, as long as you invest in a good heat protecting product. and again with the conditioning the tits off it.
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the advice, I dont think leaving bleach in for an hour is a good idea either....seems a bit drastic when I dont actually want to be blonde. I have two types of heat protector sprays, a bed head one and a worthington one. The bed head one smells really nice whereas the worthington one leaves my hair super soft and shiney.
  • Options
    Yeah, bleach tends to stop working after about 30-40mins anyway. I tend to leave it on alot longer than I should, I said just over an hour because it took my hair this long to go from dark brown to a goldeny reddy colour, didnt get to the blonde stage. It always takes longer than you think on dark hair. Do a strand test first, it usually gives you a good idea of how long to leave it on for and the colour its gonna go.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    Yeah, bleach tends to stop working after about 30-40mins anyway.

Yeah i've found this too, i once forgot about it in my hair and over an hour had past and i was like oh shite, but when i washed it out and whatever my roots were exactly the same colour as the rest of my hair, so now i leave it on for about 50 minutes-hour just to make sure there are no ginger tinges!
  • Options
    Ok so I bleached my hair and its not lifted the black at all. Not one little bit. Its just bleached my roots which are about an inch long anyway.

I'm going to the shop to get some more in about an hour, so which one should I pick up?
    I used boots own this time but it really hasnt worked:(
  • Options
    this might sound silly, and i dont know if im wrong or not, but rather than buy bleach which is really harsh, get some normal blonde hair dye surely that would be more gentle? and as your dying it brown anyway it doesnt really have to turn out totally blonde/white does it?
    just a thought :)

eta: when i did blonde bits in my hair i used this B blonde
  • Options
    Blah_x2 wrote:
    this might sound silly, and i dont know if im wrong or not, but rather than buy bleach which is really harsh, get some normal blonde hair dye surely that would be more gentle? and as your dying it brown anyway it doesnt really have to turn out totally blonde/white does it?
    just a thought :)

eta: when i did blonde bits in my hair i used this B blonde

Normal blonde hair dye won't do a thing, you need a high peroxide content. When I've bleached at home I've always used the Jerome Russell (I think?) bleach which is in a kind of gold and purple pack, at least it was when I last bought it. It's pretty good and should lift the black. But really, yas I said before, you do need to leave it on longer than the pack says.

Edited to add: The B blonde stuff is made by Jerome Russell, just use the bleaching kit one instead of the highlighting kit. You could also buy a pre-lightener and use that before the bleaching.
  • Options
    See thats what i did and it only dyed my already blonde roots. Their now yellow:/
    I'm off to morrisions in half an hour so quick quick quick with the replys please!!!
  • Options
    Ok so i went to the shop and got some more bleach. It wasnt looking to well at first becuase it had this powder blonde booster stuff to put in and it was like the stuff was going to combust. I put the lid on and some how it was seeping out the edge lol. The it made my hair go all dry and had all these powder bits in it.
    Well now I have blonde/yellow roots and ginger length, and ya know what...it looks pretty good!!!

I'm not really gonna leave it like this i'll dye it brown tomorrow morning. If only I didnt have to ever leave the house my hair would look this cool!!
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    Well now I have blonde/yellow roots and ginger length, and ya know what...it looks pretty good!!!

I'm not really gonna leave it like this i'll dye it brown tomorrow morning. If only I didnt have to ever leave the house my hair would look this cool!!

:thumb:

i remember my (accidental) yellow/orange hair. i thought it was kinda cool. everyone i knew thought i looked like big bird though.

when you're dying brown, use permanent brown, not semi. i made that mistake the first time, and i turned out as a very natural looking ginger. larvely.

again, can't recommend superdrug's own enough. I'm currently sporting their permanent light golden brown, and have to say, it's a lovely colour.
  • Options
    That where I went wrong then. When you said superdrug I thought you said boots. and well it was crap...

ahh my hair feels rank! ahwell, by next week (after condisioning like theres no tomorrow) it will be super soft and lushus!
  • Options
    :crying: Omg the brown didnt stick properly!! I have parts that are a really sexy brown, then ginger patches then yellow blobs!!

I've got another brown packet now so will be doing that tomorrow evening but my lovely hair will feel horrid for weeks:crying:

Remind me never to dye my hair black ever ever again!!
  • Options
    After washing it again tonight to do an ultra intence condisioning thingyjiggy it didnt look to bad. some how the blobs that were ginger on top have made it look like i have nice red highlights. Its just the white roots on the back of my head that piss me off.